Moving a large shrub

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

Mkc
Newly registered Member

Moving a large shrub

Post by Mkc »

Hi,

I have a large shrub / bush in my garden that i quite like but it has been randomly planted in the middle of the lawn.

I’m not exactly sure what it is but I’d like to move it to another area of the garden. Could anyone please advise me on the best approach to this?

I’m wondering what the best time of year to move is, should i be doing anything now to prepare to move it next year or is this a silly idea and the thing is too big or not hardy enough to move.

Thanks
Attachments
20D5CBC9-468E-4BEE-985F-45337E4B0CF0.jpeg
20D5CBC9-468E-4BEE-985F-45337E4B0CF0.jpeg (413.84 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
London mike 61

Moving a large shrub

Post by London mike 61 »

It is possible to move it but it’s a lot of hard work and it may take a while to re establish itself.
Essentially you need to take a large rootball so will need to dig a big hole around the plant, the roots shouldn’t be too deep but you will need to cut the ends of some roots to get it out. Dig a slightly bigger hole where you want it and mix a lot of compost into the existing soil and a few handfuls of growmore fertiliser as well then plonk it in and firm it all around. You will still need to water it well so that all the soil gets washed in around the roots and firms the soil up.
In the first year it will need a good watering every week and more in extremely hot weather.
The easier option is to dig it out and buy a reasonably mature plant to replace it and put it where you want and plant it as above. It will establish quickly and it is unlikely to die after being re planted unlike the large shrub .
Normally when you move a shrub, you cut it down by a third to half to help it cope with the trauma of the move but I can’t identify the shrub so I can’t say if that is appropriate or not.

Good luck
Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
Mkc (Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am)
Rating: 7.14%
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
dewaltdisney

Moving a large shrub

Post by dewaltdisney »

It is hard to move a shrub like this as Mike has said above. I would say you are better off buying a new shrub and removing this one. I would also point out that conifer hedge will turn into a monster if you do not clip it regularly. You can only cut the green fronds and as they grow the branch turns brown from the trunk out and it limits the amount you can cut back. If you do cut back too far it turns into a brown looking horror. With regular clipping you can get shape and a tight growth and create a nice neat hedge. Never let them get above a height you cannot easily reach with your clippers. They are a nightmare if let go.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Mkc (Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 am)
adonis

Moving a large shrub

Post by adonis »

It can be done, see this RHS link,

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=293
These users thanked the author adonis for the post:
Mkc (Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 pm)
Mkc
Newly registered Member

Moving a large shrub

Post by Mkc »

Thanks for the info and link, i think i will give it go after Christmas. Should i also trim it back before the move?
Someone-Else

Moving a large shrub

Post by Someone-Else »

If you trim it, will that not make it less bulky and so easier to move?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Defenestrate
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moving a large shrub

Post by Defenestrate »

Its a lot of work but it can be done, you will need a large hole around the bush, the roots should not be damaged as much as possible, then carefully uproot it. Dig the receiving hole slightly shallower than the old one never put a plant in deeper than it was originally and about two or three times the diameter of the roots. Lift the bush into its new hole, then fill in around the root with compost mixed into the excavated soil.
London mike 61

Moving a large shrub

Post by London mike 61 »

Defenestrate wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 pm never put a plant in deeper than it was originally
This mainly applies to dwarf rootstock where the graft of a cultivar is grafted onto a dwarf rootstock that keeps the plant small. That plant does not look like the sort that has been grafted. Just plant at the same level as before.

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Return to “Gardeners World”