Weed Fabric or Bark Chippings or Both??

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

OchAye

Post by OchAye »

APDIY wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 am I have a source of fresh (Round-wood) chippings from a tree surgeon. I've always composted them before using as a mulch. I was 'told' that fresh chippings would harm surrounding plants. Any comments, please?
Sorry I am not going to google it for you, but is sounds reasonble (resins, fungi etc, that may come from the chips). Further, things which start composting on the ground absorb nutrients and only release them when the "things" have composted. A non-scientific answer for you but worth verifying what I wrote.
Sean2012
Newly registered Member

Post by Sean2012 »

someone-else wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 pm Here is a bit of our garden.
Some times we let the weeds grow a bit as its easier if there is something to grab to pull out.

The gravel is around 40mm deep. Deeper in some places, less in others.
Thanks for the great pics. :thumbright:

I have been wondering :scratch: how would I be able to tell if weeds are growing under the fabric, you photos have just answered that
APDIY

Post by APDIY »

OchAye wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:17 pm
APDIY wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 am I have a source of fresh (Round-wood) chippings from a tree surgeon. I've always composted them before using as a mulch. I was 'told' that fresh chippings would harm surrounding plants. Any comments, please?
Sorry I am not going to google it for you, but is sounds reasonble (resins, fungi etc, that may come from the chips). Further, things which start composting on the ground absorb nutrients and only release them when the "things" have composted. A non-scientific answer for you but worth verifying what I wrote.
Thanks for the proverbial "Kick up the a.r.s.e", OchAye. I thought that I had - but obviously hadn't:
Use fresh wood chips in the compost pile. These are so high in carbon; you will have to mix these with half as much grass clippings and/or manure. Mix in a cup of lime for every four wheelbarrows of wood chips to neutralize the pH.

Give your compost pile a long time to decompose (for at least a year) and do turn the pile whenever you can once or twice a month. When this compost is done, you can use this anywhere in your garden.

https://cutthewood.com/diy/what-to-do- ... %20levels.

In general - use fresh chippings with GREAT caution.

Thanks again, OchAye
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

As I frequent some stables to see my large hairy friends, they [horsie people] use a lot of wood savings from appropriate i.e. not treated wood, for bedding. It takes for ever to compost (anyway a farmer gets the pile). Wood chippings would take even longer to compost. We are highjacking the thread :-(
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
APDIY (Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:32 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Angling mad

Post by Angling mad »

Echo other feedback. A quality black membrane with a stone of your choice. I have also done this at my holiday home. After the past 15 years and it looks as good as they day it went down any weeds that manage to germinate all pull easily and generally die off with summer weather. We have a acre of garden there with large shrub beds so it is a no brainer. The investment up front really pays back do it right, do it once is my motto. I have used bark over the years and as said it looks good for a very short while then needs replacement despite how expensive you go. The cheap bark is a complete waste of time unless just doing a tart up before selling.

Return to “Gardeners World”