Customer won't pay

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Customer won't pay

Post by Job and Knock »

In the past I've had to deal with gaps which were so wide that it was necessary to insert decorators foam piping (sort of foam plastic "string") before caulking. In those cases I learned to photograph before and after so that there could be no come back.

I've had my moments and sometimes I found it better to just walk away and swallow the loss. These days, with a photographic record of everything and my journal I'd more likely be at the Small Claims Court. I'm not trying to be overly harsh, and I often do people favours, but there are some folk who are just taking the pish. As to the "poor frail old lady" bit, I have a neighbour who's played on that sentiment for years where in reality he's a nasty, spiteful, deceitful old barsteward. Least you think I'm being ageist, I'll point out that I'm a pensioner these days myself, although still active
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
LadySpark
Newly registered Member

Customer won't pay

Post by LadySpark »

Thank you all so much. The line of silicon was a bit thick because it was a large gap. Yes, smoothed with a wet finger. Not awful, not perfect - making the best of being asked to put silicon around a bath that had a gap between the bath and the wall.

I took some photos. After only of the shelf and mirror because they were in a box before. Photo of the broken toilet and the replacement. Didn’t photograph the silicon but I accepted I was a bit heavy handed first time.

I can write off getting paid for the job. However I am worried about an insurance claim. I am insured as an electrician with handyman as a second trade. I wouldn’t respond to an advert for someone to fit a toilet. I am not a plumber. I can see the insurance company saying that I am not insured. I have had a bad experience with travel insurance in the past insurance companies seem to look for any excuse not to pay.

Fin it was helpful to hear that this sort of thing happens to other people. I am new at this and not experienced. I only do domestic as normally I am great with customers and good at a tidy finish and a great clean up, plus I just don’t have the strength for site work.

Thank you everyone for your support. It’s a learning curve!
LadySpark
Newly registered Member

Customer won't pay

Post by LadySpark »

Customer had a round seat on a square toilet originally and wanted the old seat on the new toilet because she didn’t like the square one it came with. Identical to her old one, working perfectly, not one drip.
Attachments
2B714101-E531-456B-8FA4-595E18EE6B12.jpeg
2B714101-E531-456B-8FA4-595E18EE6B12.jpeg (430.83 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
10C0E4CD-C49A-46A2-ACBE-0EA7B71496FE.jpeg
10C0E4CD-C49A-46A2-ACBE-0EA7B71496FE.jpeg (404.43 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
7A2D03AF-9324-4A8C-A514-1D6047D2D719.jpeg
7A2D03AF-9324-4A8C-A514-1D6047D2D719.jpeg (326.99 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
F8D1E086-5FCA-4B77-9834-165CF30110EF.jpeg
F8D1E086-5FCA-4B77-9834-165CF30110EF.jpeg (407.17 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Someone-Else

Customer won't pay

Post by Someone-Else »

LadySpark wrote: However I am worried about an insurance claim.
Why?

Her. "I want to claim for a toilet that ladyspark accidentally broke, but has since changed it and it is as good as the one she broke"
Insurance company "next"

I would say she has nothing to claim for, you replaced what you broke and it works and she is happy
LadySpark wrote: insurance companies seem to look for any excuse not to pay.
Yes, this is often the case, but then look at it from their side, they are in business to make money.

I can only suggest you "put away" a percentage for every job you do. (Sort of your own insurance) That way if something does happen you can pay for it from this fund.

Relax, worry not, but even though you advertise that you do "handyman" jobs, don't, just stick to being an electrician. I know its easy for me to say that, but you have to look at the big picture, today you are the handyman/spark, in a year or so when you have a bigger client base, you will have to turn down handyman jobs which may upset some previous clients as "you were able to do it last time"
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Razor

Customer won't pay

Post by Razor »

I suspect it's more reassurance you need than anything. depending how much the bill was you could always send her an invoice then go down the MCOL route.

From what you have said you were more than reasonable. Personally I probably would have left it til after Xmas to replace the loo as it was working. Quite often you can get replacement lids from the manufacturers.

As others have said contact your insurance first and tell them you will refuse any claims made by her as you made good before you left. In any case an ugly silicone line that doesn't leak would not be grounds for a claim that would just come under quality of workmanship. You would only be liable for damage caused by a subsequent leak - I hope you filled the bath before siliconing?

Finally chill and enjoy the Xmas period knowing that you cheered all of us up with your bog selfie :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I'll take two chickens...
Someone-Else

Customer won't pay

Post by Someone-Else »

Razor wrote:Finally chill and enjoy the Xmas period knowing that you cheered all of us up with your bog selfie :lol: :lol: :lol:
:salute:
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
LadySpark (Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:03 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Gadget
Jack Of All Trades

Customer won't pay

Post by Gadget »

I've seen some awful 'selfies' but that one really is just 'bog standard' :lol:
These users thanked the author Gadget for the post (total 2):
Bob225 (Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 pm) • LadySpark (Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
By eck! ©
fin

Customer won't pay

Post by fin »

i thought bog was a newcastle ish word haha same as netty. didnt realise everyone else called it a bog too
Bob225

Customer won't pay

Post by Bob225 »

Gadget wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:21 pm I've seen some awful 'selfies' but that one really is just 'bog standard' :lol:
Watch out that's some Wine-o grade humour
ayjay

Customer won't pay

Post by ayjay »

Razor wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:54 pm
Finally chill and enjoy the Xmas period knowing that you cheered all of us up with your bog selfie :lol: :lol: :lol:
It cheered me up considerably cos my first thought was that I don't ever have to bog-grovel any more. I didn't mind too much casing in pipes behind toilets on new builds, but in occupied houses it was rarely pleasant once you got your nose right in there.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
LadySpark (Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:44 pm)
Argyll

Customer won't pay

Post by Argyll »

In the summer I fell over my tool box and put my head through a plaster wall :lol: I was so embarrassed. I came back the next day to fix it but the customer still paid me for the work I had done.

Put it behind you and move on. You'll never see that money so no point it chewing you up. Some people just can't separate with money.
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
LadySpark (Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:44 pm)

Return to “The Grumpy corner”