Online Newspapers

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Online Newspapers

Post by dewaltdisney »

My paper delivery man has retired and I cannot find any other delivery service for my daily paper. He has served me for 20 years and I dreaded this day coming. I decided to look at having an online paper and signed up for a free trial with The Sun. It is hopeless as it does not work on a Windows 10 format and I only have a mini Ipad so it means constant zooming making it awkward to read and scan for interesting items.This is also true of the Sunday Times I think as being a broadsheet it will be even harder to read on my mini Ipad.

I am probably on the cusp of not bothering with a paper because I have become sick and tired of the sh*t being trotted out and I do not read a lot of the political reporting and there is so much fake crap and made up stories now.

Any advice on what to do as a replacement please?

Thanks

DWD
Someone-Else

Re: Online Newspapers

Post by Someone-Else »

I have a similar problem in that I too have "problems" with my mini Ipad (Supplied by the company I work for) they often send out "stuff to be read" which was no doubt written on a pc (or mac) so when I get it, its not possible to "read it" on an Ipad mini because as you say, its too small and if you expand it, it then no longer fits the screen and becomes a PITA, the only solution I have found is to forward it on to my PC or laptop (both have bigger screens than the Ipad mini)
You say the Sun on line edition does not work on windows 10, what happens? or it may be because you are on the trial version? can you get it on your Ipad then forward it to you pc?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Do you really need a daily newspaper?

I'd always bought one until during one of our recessions, (I retired for four years while the wife worked instead) as part of an economy drive I stopped. When I went back to work I took a library book for meal-break reading/entertainment.

I now just buy a broadsheet on a Saturday and rely on google news for the rest of the week.

https://news.google.com/?tab=wn&hl=en-G ... ceid=GB:en
One day it will all be firewood.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I 'chatted' with the Sun help line and the guy says it is designed for mobile devices and tablets and does not work on PC's. I have signed up for the paid service which should give an image of the actual paper which you can read as normal on screen, if it was big enough that is. This works on my mini IPad but it is difficult to read zooming in on each block of text to make it readable.

I wondered if any other on line papers are windows readable?

Thanks

DWD
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

@Ayjay. I suppose it is being a creature of habit and loathe to any change in my routines is my motivation on this. All my life I have had a morning paper which I have read whilst I have my breakfast, it is part of my routine. It was a bad enough departure for me to consider an online paper as a replacement and now this aggravation is forcing me into rethinking how I am going to continue. I thought that there might be a trick I am missing?

Thanks

DWD
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I played with this a bit and I found that turning my IPad to portrait made it more readable for scanning the pages and I only needing a zoom to get the text bigger where I needed it. As I am on a four week free trial I will see how I get on. :thumbright:

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

I went from being a 4 newspapers-a-day person to zero overnight. It was actually as a result of moving to where I am now - no such things as deliveries or even newsagents - nearest is 11 miles from me!

As a result I tried the online efforts and many of them started to hack me off for their political leanings and outright 'lies' they perpetrated so I moved to finding some decent BLOGGERS. There are a huge number of well-informed bloggers out there that cover all aspects of media, politics, sport, environment, science etc and discovering the ones suited to your own needs is fun in itself.

When you eventually find one (or, as in my case, a dozen or so) you find yourself becoming 'excited' about their next posting - they don't post every day - and you end up joining the membership of commenters to vent your spleen on the various issues raised.

You can still get the MSM-orientated take on things but when you take on the bloggers as well you find that they can offer aspects on the issues that open your mind and eyes to the way you are being manipulated by the MSM.

Give it a go.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%
Don't take it personally......
Nos

Post by Nos »

When I lived in the Uk I bought a broadsheet paper every day for donkeys years, when we moved to France in 2006 I could still get the same paper at the big supermarkets, but it was a yesterdays paper and B***** expensive. I, like you looked at the alternatives and settled on the "Kindle", I have it "delivered" as soon as I turn it on in the morning, the download takes a few seconds, its brilliant, also as a reader of non fiction, I can and do download hundreds of books. For the paper it costs about £9 per month, you get the basic paper not all the supplements, and for my paper they have stopped doing the Tv guide, but no problem with other means available.
These users thanked the author Nos for the post:
dewaltdisney
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I got on okay with it this morning. It kept me in my morning routine of breakfast and paper. I think I have got to grips with it now. I loaded it on Mrs D's tablet as well so I will see how sh gets on. Mins you she only looks at the bits she is interested in.

One bonus is no more trips to recycle the old newspapers.

Thanks for the comments :thumbright:

DWD
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

I miss my newspapers i have nothing for the dog to poop on lol,seriously i use Google and the BBC for what i need
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Cannyfixit wrote:,seriously i use Google and the BBC for what i need
LOL!

News?

Two of the most blatantly biased outlets you can imagine!
Don't take it personally......
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

We haven't had a paper for 25 years. The guy delivering stopped, and it means going to the shop every day.
I usually read the BBC Teletext news. It tends to be just the news without the opinion. TBH though whatever I read, I just filter out in my head the "in our view" and "The (fill in political party of your choice) may have been to blame for the (whatever)" stuff out, even if I agree with it. :lol:
No "reliable" source of news IMO.
Doesn't fix your wanting a paper to read while having breakfast though DWD.
Cast it to the TV from the tablet?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I have actually got to grips with it now Dave, it is not as good as the real thing but it is at least a digital copy of the actual paper and I have now got the zooming right as necessary. I will have a go at the Sunday Times next which was difficult to read as a real paper as my stroke hit weaker arm fatigued as I held it up with both hands after a few minutes. Onward and upward. :thumbright: :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Dave54

Return to “The Grumpy corner”