Little important parts coloured black

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

It has always annoyed me that so many tool manufacturers make all the little 'easily lose-able and important to see' parts black. A very few do make them all (say) bright orange or similar, so they're easy to spot and easy to realise what they are, but not many bother. I suppose they worry more about the brochure pictures than customers having to use the things. Last night may take the biscuit for me, though..

I don't buy many new tools, but this time it worked out cheaper than replacing dead batteries for my old brand. Along with my new 18v circular saw, rattling about loose in the box, were the guide rail and its small wing/clamping screw.. Gave things a quick once over, fitted a battery and gave it a spin. Which it did briefly - before (in the space of a second or so) jamming solid, then spinning again, then firing the mangled remains of 'an unexpected spare clamping screw' across the room at tremendous speed with a huge bang and ringing of blade.

I had checked the thing over before use but hadn't seen the extra screw; its small and black and must have been stuck up in the dark recesses of the blade shield somewhere, amongst other unfamiliar black things (that should be there). Thankfully no injuries and the machine 'seems' to have survived (I hope). But not exactly a good introduction to my new tool, and cutting into a steel screw was not the first use I'd intended for the blade either.

Really the small parts should have been in a bag or something IMO, I'd expected a bit more care of a brand at this level (in this case Makita). But I'm sure had the black screw been brighter coloured I would have stood much more chance of (a) seeing it and (b) realising it wasn't supposed to be there. So thats a new one on me, usually I just lose little black parts under the bench or in the tool bag or something.
Last edited by Kev888 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kev
dewaltdisney

Re: Little important parts coloured black

Post by dewaltdisney »

When I saw this thread I got totally the wrong idea. It reminded me when I damaged adductor muscle in my leg a few years ago. After a period the bruise comes out and spreads to your todger and it was black for a week. Quite embarrassing really. Mrs D was not impressed when I said to her once you have black there is no going back. :lol:

I agree with small black parts, very hard to find if you drop them which is usual for me. :thumbright:

DWD
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Heh, no not 'those' important parts! Though it puts things into perspective :lol:
Kev
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

if its a grub screw it may be out the joining bar for the tracks :dunno:
in the dewalt system you have 4 per bar
we are all ------------------still learning
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

As far as I can so far tell it was just a spare screw; the guide bar (or rip fence as I'd call it) supplied only takes one screw, but there are two places that the bar can be located so maybe the intention is to leave one screw in both. Unless its for additional accessories, not included.

They even painted the screw thread deep black, though my little episode has made parts of it shiny...
screw.JPG
screw.JPG (53.23 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
EDIT: the manual is large, but 9/10ths of that is for other languages and most of the english part is safety warnings. The rip fence gets only a brief mention (of what it is for!) - nothing that I can see about use of the clamping screws, or suggestion that there may/should be two, or why.
Kev
lake

Post by lake »

If it is the DHS680 (makita brush less 18v circular saw) then the fence can be put on the front or back!

On mine there are two sprung fixing screws (as per your image)....when I bought it, one was on the front and one on the back.
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Yes it is the DHS680 with the front or rear fence option. So, the idea was to leave the unused screw in place then - thanks; I thought that may be the intention but wasn't sure. Guess I'll just be moving the screw now, instead... and painting it yellow or similar.

I suppose its possible the screws may have started out in the holes for mine too, it would certainly explain their lack of packaging. Not a good advert if they dropped out just in transit, but perhaps they weren't put in properly. I hope I've not got someone's return...

On the positive side, the saw itself is far superior to my old cordless one - by comparison that didn't deserve new batteries; the right decision I think. It'll take a while to get used to the sudden, almost savage start; with the brushless motor and small, thin blade it seems to be at full pelt without winding up!
Kev
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Not putting loose parts in a separate bag is desperately cheapskate and, potentially, an 'eco reason' that shows up the folly of the creed. Might be worth pointing your issue out to their customer support service as the potential for litigation (on safety grounds) if this is a cost-cutting measure outweighs the eco-reasoning by a long shot. You should, at least, get replacement bits for the damaged goods?

I image also that many plastic parts are made from recycled plastic and that 'black' is the only colour additive they can use to disguise the fact????
Don't take it personally......
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Yes I suppose it may be due to recycling, certainly black seems a default colour. Although for small important parts surely the environmental impact of using colour isn't unreasonable; they're already using blue, yellow, green etc elsewhere (according to brand).

I had a quick look last night, the knobs and smaller bits on most of my tools are black. The one exception being an evolution mitre saw on which they're all bright orange, so it can be done if the will is there. They've made it part of the tool's colour scheme, looks like they also do green
Dead image link removed by Admin 25/01/2021
The work-clamping parts are detachable, so far I've always been able to find them. When they're in a box with other bits and bobs its also clearer which machine, or at least which brand, they relate to. OK perhaps a bit garish, but also quite practical.
Kev

Return to “The Grumpy corner”