I want to scream again, who wants to join me?

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

I want to scream again, who wants to join me?

Post by Someone-Else »

I no longer have a use for some items I have, I could put them in the bin, but there is nothing wrong with them so I figured I may as well sell them for a few £ (selling on ebay will cost too much, and there is postage and packing and buying something to pack said items in all adds to the cost which then makes items "too much")

So, I put some items on a selling site, with the note, "Buyer to collect in person, cash on collection" not only is it better / easier for me, the buyer can see what the item is / how it works before paying for it.

What do I get?

"I will send a taxi and pay via paypal"

er. no.
Firstly a taxi even from the other side of town on a Sunday will cost more than the item is worth, then I am weary of the "paypal" loves the buyer more scam*, so who wants to join me in screaming?

or have you had a worse experience than me?

*Buyer claims item not as described / didn't arrive etc (even though it is collection in person) so paypal refund money and they keep item. and I can't prove it was collected by the seller. (pictures etc no use as paypal only have a name)

Don't even think of freecycle. Number of times they say they will collect and don't turn up :angryfire:
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Dave54

Re: I want to scream again, who wants to join me?

Post by Dave54 »

No good turn ever goes unpunished.
Put something on cheap to let somebody get some use out of it (and OK have a few quid for it yourself), and the wee extractors move in.
I stopped selling on eBay years ago.
I had a refund for something from many months earlier.
Nothing big, the woman involved was having problems with an account, and they had refunded loads of her buys. She sent me a PO to cover it.
But that finished it for me.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

In the old days small ads in local papers were always a good place to sell stuff. Local people willing to pop around and cash on approval. Nowadays, people are w*nkers and they are either deceitful or stupid. There are just not that many resourceful people around who can spot a bargain tool etc. More than likely they want it for nothing so they can resell it and make a buck. I could never sell at a boot sale as I would destroy things rather than sell for 50p.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

dewaltdisney wrote:In the old days small ads in local papers were always a good place to sell stuff. Local people willing to pop around and cash on approval. Nowadays, people are w*nkers and they are either deceitful or stupid. There are just not that many resourceful people around who can spot a bargain tool etc. More than likely they want it for nothing so they can resell it and make a buck. I could never sell at a boot sale as I would destroy things rather than sell for 50p.

DWD
I sorted a load of stuff out a while back to car boot, then I thought about getting up at some ungodly hour on a Sunday morning to stand in a field making a profit for persons who are there to buy stuff to sell on eBay.
I took it all down the local charity shop.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Dave54 wrote:
dewaltdisney wrote:In the old days small ads in local papers were always a good place to sell stuff. Local people willing to pop around and cash on approval. Nowadays, people are w*nkers and they are either deceitful or stupid. There are just not that many resourceful people around who can spot a bargain tool etc. More than likely they want it for nothing so they can resell it and make a buck. I could never sell at a boot sale as I would destroy things rather than sell for 50p.

DWD
I sorted a load of stuff out a while back to car boot, then I thought about getting up at some ungodly hour on a Sunday morning to stand in a field making a profit for persons who are there to buy stuff to sell on eBay.
And they have the same issue, people buying items, then selling stuff on ebay some charity shops have regular buyers for computer items, Lego and even computer/console games they get left out the back for them to pick over and the rest goes in the shop

I couldn't do that sort of thing, making money out of a legitimate charity
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Bob225 wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

DWD
And they have the same issue, people buying items, then selling stuff on ebay some charity shops have regular buyers for computer items, Lego and even computer/console games they get left out the back for them to pick over and the rest goes in the shop

I couldn't do that sort of thing, making money out of a legitimate charity
Agreed, and neither could I make money out of charities.
At least my way the charity gets something, and i don't have to stand there arguing with numpties over 2p. :mrgreen:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

i prefer to give things away to good homes :lol:
i get far more off a warm feeling that way rather than the horrible feeling not helping people :scratch:
we are all ------------------still learning
joinerjohn

Post by joinerjohn »

Gumtree is quite useful and if you have a smartphone, you could always download Shpock.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

joinerjohn wrote:Gumtree is quite useful and if you have a smartphone, you could always download Shpock.
You don't need a smartphone for Shpock. I hate that site, you ask for say £5 for something and you get offered 50p / and they want me to deliver it to them :cussing:

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I’ve had no problem from gumtree. I don’t mind buying on eBay but selling is a right minefield now,the odds are stacked against a seller now and you get loads of folk taking advantage of this.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I buy loads of stuff advertised on ebay, latest thing is a "cover" for a tablet, and some thick marker pens. I hardly ever sell anything as I can't compete.

Gadget
Jack Of All Trades

Post by Gadget »

joinerjohn wrote:Gumtree is quite useful and if you have a smartphone, you could always download Shpock.

I've sold stuff on Gumtree loads of times and never had a problem.
By eck! ©
toolbox

Post by toolbox »

Used to be Exchange and Mart where you had to keep your wits about you, now seems to be ebay I very seldom chance using it and would not sell on there.
I have only used it four times and just after one of those I got hit with loads of spam mail, seemed a very strange coincidence. :scratch:
idkhow2diy

Post by idkhow2diy »

I've been lucky so far on freecycle with people actually collecting but it does make me think why am I inviting strangers to the house to see what else is in the garage...

Made decent money out of selling on ebay even after their fees, but just recently the buyer is always right business gets me. I had a real issue sending something to China that their glorious Global Shredding (Shipping) Service kindly destroyed thinking it was hazardous - the buyer complained to PayPal and as I don't keep funds there they locked the purchase amount and the resulting negative locked me out of PayPal even for purchases. As soon as that was resolved I closed that PayPal and ebay account and I now only use it as a buyer.

Gumtree - I did rent a house out that way - surprised me the number of genuinely interested parties that contacted me, all for a cost of nowt.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Regarding freecycle or similar facebook groups you do need to be careful.

I never let the people into my house and in most cases I put the item outside to be collected. I don't want them knowing what is in my workshop.

Return to “The Grumpy corner”