DVLA

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

DVLA

Post by ayjay »

Got my V11 (road tax renewal) in the post yesterday. They want £240 for a year.

I remembered reading something recently that the fees were going to be standardised with one variable amount paid in the first year and then £140 per year after that, On checking, that only applies to vehicles first registered after April 2017 - but it got me looking around.

£240 is Band *I* for emissions of 176-185 g/km.

I checked a Mercedes website and as far as I could see (it's difficult to find the exact model) my emissions are 123 g/km - Band *D* - £115. The highest emissions figure I could find for any model of my van was 126g/km, still Band *D*

I checked my V5 and that too shows 123 g/km, and so it should be Band *D*, and should have been last year as well.

Now the "fun" begins. :roll:

You might want to check that you're paying the correct amount.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tab ... march-2001
One day it will all be firewood.
Rorschach

Re: DVLA

Post by Rorschach »

Checked mine, sadly they are charging me the right amount :cb :lol:
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Rorschach wrote:Checked mine, sadly they are charging me the right amount :cb :lol:
Mine too. :cb

After the first five phone calls were aborted at the other end I finally got another number to call and even didn't have to wait too long.

According to the guy I spoke to then, it's taxed as a *Light goods Vehicle*, which are mostly covered by the same rate of £240, and not based on emissions at all.

I'd always thought the category was *Private & Light Goods*, which covered cars and small vans (and would therefore be based on emissions).
camallison

Post by camallison »

Another grump about DVLA. I received the V11 for my car yesterday and tried to pay online. The system kicked me out, saying the car had no current MOT. It has, and it doesn't run out until the end of the month! I checked the MOT expiry date online to make sure it had been logged online. Sure enough it had. Phoned them up and was told that my car had no current MOT!!!!! :-P After quietly informing the agent that it has and that I had separately online, I was told that the DVLA computer can't be wrong. :angryfire: What a bunch of w*nkers!

The car is in for service and MOT on the 21st, so I will wait until then and try again.

Colin
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

I'm on the maxi-band..... sounds like a large tampon - and given how much they're screwing me for it's no wonder I refer to them as cnuts.
Don't take it personally......
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

camallison wrote:Another grump about DVLA. I received the V11 for my car yesterday and tried to pay online. The system kicked me out, saying the car had no current MOT. It has, and it doesn't run out until the end of the month! I checked the MOT expiry date online to make sure it had been logged online. Sure enough it had. Phoned them up and was told that my car had no current MOT!!!!! :-P After quietly informing the agent that it has and that I had separately online, I was told that the DVLA computer can't be wrong. :angryfire: What a bunch of w*nkers!

The car is in for service and MOT on the 21st, so I will wait until then and try again.

Colin
If your MOT cert runs out on the last day of the month and your tax is due on the 1st of the following month then DVLA are correct. There is no current MOT on the date the tax is due.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
camallison
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
camallison

Post by camallison »

wine~o wrote:
camallison wrote:Another grump about DVLA. I received the V11 for my car yesterday and tried to pay online. The system kicked me out, saying the car had no current MOT. It has, and it doesn't run out until the end of the month! I checked the MOT expiry date online to make sure it had been logged online. Sure enough it had. Phoned them up and was told that my car had no current MOT!!!!! :-P After quietly informing the agent that it has and that I had separately online, I was told that the DVLA computer can't be wrong. :angryfire: What a bunch of w*nkers!

Colin
If your MOT cert runs out on the last day of the month and your tax is due on the 1st of the following month then DVLA are correct. There is no current MOT on the date the tax is due.
So why didn't he explain that? Last year, it worked ok.

Colin
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

camallison wrote:

So why didn't he explain that? Last year, it worked ok.

Colin
One of those daft quirks with MOT certs and tax.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

On one of my past vehicles the MOT ran out, (every year, obviously) five days after the tax was due.

In those days I used to tax it in the Post Office.

By heck I used to have fun with the woman behind the counter, " You know this MOT runs out in five days"?

"Yes".

"You will re-new the MOT won't you"?

"That's none of your business, it's valid now, that's all you need to know".

This would go back and forth two or three times: every year! I used to quite look forward to it. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Grumpy corner”