Another pressure washer

Grumpy people only in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Laird

Another pressure washer

Post by Laird »

What is it with pressure washers? After having two, a Nilfisk and then a Wolf, in 4 years, and having both give up on me after only casual use. I decided I wasn't going to throw good money after bad and I held back for 2 years on getting another one, but now have decided to try again. This time I've ordered a Qualcast after seeing my neighbor busy with one which he had just bought. I hope this time it will keep working for longer than a couple of years.
I only use the washer for occasionally washing down the car and now and again on the paving round the house.
Hopefully this one will work for more than a couple of years.
Laird

If all else fails, use 6 inch nails
village idiot
diesel demon

Re: Another pressure washer

Post by village idiot »

If you still have the nilfisk let me know what you need

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
i love being married
it's great to find that one special person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I still have a karcher. I would never buy an "own brand" pressure washer.

I don't know how old it is, but after every use I tip it up at the end so the water can run out (It sits on a towel on a concrete floor) I will not use it in winter time, no matter how dirty the car is.
Oh, and yes, I always take all the hoses / pipes off. Been doing this since the first one froze.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

They're not difficult or too complicated to take apart and repair if you're of a mind.

Like s-e says, keeping it from freezing is critical to survival. Not so sure allowing all water to drain is a good idea though unless you plan to pack it away for a lengthy period. Regular use and following the manufacturers care instructions seem to be enough.

If you paid a lot for the machine you currently have then contact the seller to complain - your statutory rights allow for a 'reasonable expectation for use' from the unit and under 2 years, whilst potentially outside what the manufacturer may say is their warranty period, doesn't necessarily make it 'reasonable'. I'd expect at least 5 years life from one and would whinge like a woman if I didn't get it!

If you don't have a receipt, contact the manufacturers directly an see what they have to say.
Don't take it personally......
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

I have had my Karcher for ten years,more luck than quality I think however I always run a little anti freeze through the machine before putting it away for the winter
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
Laird

Post by Laird »

Assembled and took the Qualcast out for its first run. So far so good. Now, will it last longer than a couple of years??
Laird

Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Last use of the year I blow out my Karcher K2 with air , I usually give it a clean and pull the filter too
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Good luck with your Qualcast. :salute:

I've had my Nilfisk 120 bar pressure washer for over four years. I store it in the shed and have never drained it. A few weeks ago I decided to pressure wash our flagged patio and flagged paths so pulled the PW out and coupled it all up; it fired up immediately but with nothing coming out of the lance? The motor ran for a sort time before it cut out.

Not wishing to search for the instructions which came with it I browsed YouTube for information. Because the PW had been stored for a long winter without being used it only needed bleeding. I removed the pressure hose from the power unit and let mains pressure water flow through until all bubbles cleared then I coupled up the pressure hose and again let water discharge at mains pressure; it took about half an hour before the motor would fire up again but now everything was perfect and I completed the job.

You say both your previous PW's have given up on you; could the problem simply be that they required bleeding? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I had a couple of pressure washers that packed up after a season or two despite being drained and kept frost free. I thought I'd get a Karcher.
Saw a Lidl one much cheaper with a 3 year guarantee before I got round to getting a Karcher. That's about 5 years ago.

(Sometimes I feel as if my life comes from Lidl! :lol: )
Laird

Post by Laird »

Bleeding might have been the remedy for the Nilfisk, I don't know, and I didn't think of it at the time, but for the Wolf it was the on/off switch, which didn't work. At the time, I didn't have the umph to start taking the thing apart and anyway having no spare parts to replace the switch, combined with being p****d off that it had given up so soon, I decided to dump it.
So, they both went to the recycling.
I had the Qualcast out again yesterday and all was good. The only pain is coiling the pressure hose after use...not a serious complaint.
Laird

Return to “The Grumpy corner”