Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

diy2020ask
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Loft boarding structure

Post by diy2020ask »

Hi, trying to decide which option to choose for raised loft boarding. I added loft photos, roof spec and some design drafts.

New build 2017, 'V' trusses, loft area approx 19m2 - 6.2m x 3m, joists 35x85mm, 600mm centres, boarded area span approx 3metres but it partly rests on load bearing wall. Insulation 300mm. Planned - medium Kg storage, Hatch should allow 600m boards, but for easier handling would trim 2400 to 1200. Due to hefty insulation plus air gap looks like would need one of those plastic stilts 270mm, as 175mm loft leg would compress insulation and would leave not air gap. Loft leg XL only come at 300mm which is a lot. Even thinking of just getting 45x70 C16 timber and just cutting stilts myself whatever hight needed - also best value stilt.

House Builder came back with this:
Thank you for your enquiry, we can confirm your home is built and engineered to only take the weight of the materials currently used with the additional calculation for snow fall sitting on the roof within your build, we would not be in a positon to offer guidance. If you are looking to apply alterations your appointed architect would investigate.

Your thoughts and recommendation appreciated. Thanks
PNG image.png
PNG image.png (215.77 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
PNG image 2.png
PNG image 2.png (851.22 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
PNG image 3.png
PNG image 3.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 1000 times
Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 10.42.40.png
Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 10.42.40.png (101.5 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
ayjay

Loft boarding structure

Post by ayjay »

diy2020ask wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am House Builder came back with this:
Thank you for your enquiry, we can confirm your home is built and engineered to only take the weight of the materials currently used with the additional calculation for snow fall sitting on the roof within your build, we would not be in a positon to offer guidance. If you are looking to apply alterations your appointed architect would investigate.
Your "House Builder" response is the correct one.

Trussed roofs are not designed to take extra weight in the attic space.

They are a cheap method of constructing a roof quickly with basic skill requirements.
One day it will all be firewood.
diy2020ask
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Loft boarding structure

Post by diy2020ask »

Thanks ayjay. There are tons of loft boarding companies who will happily board over new build trusses, but I agree with you, them joists 35x85 don't give much confidence. I want to do this DIY project myself, got tools and quite handy. What's the best way to do this?

Attached plan shows there is load bearing wall, so trussed joists rest partly on that, in which case maybe raised stilts would work just fine?
Added design draft, which one to go with and why? Thanks

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”