Flower Box

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

newdud
Been thanked: 0

Flower Box

Post by newdud »

I was thinking of making a flower box for my front garden in the shape of the attached diagram.
What I am not sure about is the support needed (show in dark triangular blocks ). How do I go about making them :dunno:

I am novice at wood work and do not have a lot of wood working tools but thought it would be fun to try and learn in the process.
Does any one have any advice ? or this a project too far ?

I do not want to make a square one ! That would be no fun.
Attachments
Flowerbox.jpg
Flowerbox.jpg (6.02 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Flower Box

Post by big-all »

assuming they are internal blocks to hold 3 different angled surfaces
unfortunately will be dangerous to make as you are down on the fourth face to perhaps to 40-55mm off fully angled surface with a saw blade angled at least in one direction and no parallel surface to clamp too
fingers and saw blades ideally 75-100mm appart :cb
we are all ------------------still learning
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Flower Box

Post by big-all »

if they are more Toblerone shaped then you will be ok as its the offcut you use
Dave54

Flower Box

Post by Dave54 »

I'd just nail or screw the main box together and then make flat corner pieces out of a piece of board to strengthen it internally if needed.
Don't try to cut small pieces off small pieces though. Have plenty of material to cut the desired piece from.
As B-A says trying to make the shapes as a length on a table saw is dangerous.
Someone-Else

Flower Box

Post by Someone-Else »

Dave54 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am trying to make the shapes as a length on a table saw is dangerous.
I don't think there is any danger of that, the OP said
newdud wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm and do not have a lot of wood working tools

But I was thinking there is one shape that would "fit" a cylinder. It may sound odd, but a cylinder would enable screws to come from any angle and give said screws something to "bite into"
How about 40mm waste pipe? again it may sound odd, but as its a planter, it will get wet, dowel (if you can get it that big) will rot, waste pipe will not rot. Or if not screws, nut and bolt?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Flower Box

Post by big-all »

Dave54 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am I'd just nail or screw the main box together and then make flat corner pieces out of a piece of board to strengthen it internally if needed.
Don't try to cut small pieces off small pieces though. Have plenty of material to cut the desired piece from.
As B-A says trying to make the shapes as a length on a table saw is dangerous.
we all know best because off the nicks ding near misses and actual accidents we have all had :shock:
and we should know better :roll:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
Dave54 (Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Dave54

Flower Box

Post by Dave54 »

someone-else wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm
Dave54 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am trying to make the shapes as a length on a table saw is dangerous.
I don't think there is any danger of that, the OP said
newdud wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm and do not have a lot of wood working tools

But I was thinking there is one shape that would "fit" a cylinder. It may sound odd, but a cylinder would enable screws to come from any angle and give said screws something to "bite into"
How about 40mm waste pipe? again it may sound odd, but as its a planter, it will get wet, dowel (if you can get it that big) will rot, waste pipe will not rot. Or if not screws, nut and bolt?
We don't know what the OP has in the way of tools. I'd assume hand tools, but kit has got cheaper and cheaper.
Better safe, and it might help somebody else.
I don't have a lot of tools.
Honestly! :?
Actually using a bit of plastic pipe to strengthen the inside corners could well work. Worth a try I'd say.

And yes, as you say B-A. You always try what you know you shouldn't do at some time.
And then generally remember why you shouldn't do it! :shock:

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”