Moderator: Moderators

jetty
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skirting board mitre angles

Post by jetty »

Hello
Unsure if I'm being stupid here, or overcomplicating things!
I'm fitting oak skirting - all is well apart from a couple angles. I have an external 94 degree which makes for a 47 degree cut. My mitre chop saw is a double bevel 45 degree....so I'm lacking 2 degrees.
I can cut 47-60 degrees if I place the skirting up against the fence, but I only have 80mm cutting depth. The skirting is 120mm.

The ridiculous thing is, I did the oak skirting in the opposite room about 5 years ago with similar cuts. Didn't have an issue then, but my brain isn't working this time around :shock:

Any advice greatly appreciated.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

With the skirting laid flat on the bed and only up to 45° available, I would jack up the end of the skirting until you arrive at 47°.

A bit of trial and error will be necessary as to how much to raise it and at what point on the bed to insert a packer - only cut off a minimal amount at the mitre - to try and make that a bit clearer, at the point where you're cutting, the skirting needs to be in contact with the bed so it will need to be cut almost to the correct length prior to cutting the mitre. Once it's ready to cut. clamp it down, very slightly to the blade side of the packer.

I can guarantee that this won't pass any H&S inspection, but I'm still here, complete with all the usual limbs and other appendages.
One day it will all be firewood.
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

If you have an iPhone there's an inclinometer app with the compass, lay it on the wood, zero it and tilt the wood until you get the angle and pack it.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

To be honest i find it easier to use a bevel and handsaw and perhaps a small plane for adjustment if needed than keep messing around with a mitre saw.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Grendel wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 am To be honest i find it easier to use a bevel and handsaw and perhaps a small plane for adjustment if needed than keep messing around with a mitre saw.
Hand tools every time unless you have a pile of them to do the same. You can do it and be finished while you're setting a saw to do something it's not set up to do easily.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”