Hanging Door Within Frame

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

I purchased a 94mm frame from B&Q. I couldn't use the standard rebates as my door is 610mm, so I measured 620mm approx and fixed the jambs using two wood screws. I used a set square to make sure the jambs where in the correct place.

But it appears the jambs are warped/twisted. Laying the frame down and taking a birdseye view the bottom of the jambs are twisted. I have fixed the frame in place and the wood screws pulled the frame into place. But when I offer the door upto the frame there is a wider opening at the top, then what there is at the bottom. Where have I gone wrong?
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

kevinsmbuk wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:07 am Where have I gone wrong?
You haven't mentioned how you decided where to fix the jambs, 99% of chippies will use a 6'0" level to plumb them up,(both ways) packing out behind the jambs as appropriate before screwing in place to keep them plumb.

If the timber is twisted you'll need paired fixings across the width of the liner, that's how it should be anyway without any twisting, but some will try and get away with single fixings.

It's also a good idea to fix a temporary brace across the bottom of the frame/lining to keep both jambs parallel before you start - if the first one is fixed plumb then the other jamb will also be plumb before you start fixing it.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
kevinsmbuk (Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:18 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

Hi Ayjay,

Jambs were fixed roughly 100mm from floor on hinge side (LHS) in pairs across the width of the jamb. This pulled the warped part to the cls timber studwork. I braced the top left corner of the frame to create a square corner.

I havent packed anything out yet, but if it's the top section that is too wide, will it be a case of resetting where the jambs have been screwed to the head?
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

kevinsmbuk wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:27 pm

but if it's the top section that is too wide, will it be a case of resetting where the jambs have been screwed to the head?
10mm is a lot of clearance to leave for a door, (but I'd assumed that you wanted the door to fall into the liner with no trimming requred) 3/16" is always my goto if I'm setting out the heads - (I think that's just under 5mm)
kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

ayjay wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:40 pm
kevinsmbuk wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:27 pm

but if it's the top section that is too wide, will it be a case of resetting where the jambs have been screwed to the head?
10mm is a lot of clearance to leave for a door, (but I'd assumed that you wanted the door to fall into the liner with no trimming requred) 3/16" is always my goto if I'm setting out the heads - (I think that's just under 5mm)
I just wanted to make sure I had a lot to play with. This is the time ever I have fitted a door lining or hung a door, so I'm learning something new. Looking at it this morning both sides and head of the door liner are level but I think it's bowing/twisted in the opening, which means my framework must not be square. so i'm going to pack out the front face with packers.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

kevinsmbuk wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 am Looking at it this morning both sides and head of the door liner are level but I think it's bowing/twisted in the opening, which means my framework must not be square. so i'm going to pack out the front face with packers.
Your best bet under the circumstances is to cut a brace to go at the bottom of the liner, cut both ends perfectly square and make the length identical to the internal size at the top - place that on the floor inside the liner and wedge both sides to it, use a long straightedge when screwing up the more central parts of the liner.

Fitting a door liner correctly is a complex procedure, you only really learn to do it easily after the first few hundred.
fin

Post by fin »

it might be worth it to make a couple of braces for the top of the frame also using the 3,4,5 method for squaring up. atleast it would help to keep the head level whilst hes plumbing the jambs up. obviously with the brace at the bottom of the frame in place still aswell.
kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

ayjay wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm
kevinsmbuk wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 am Looking at it this morning both sides and head of the door liner are level but I think it's bowing/twisted in the opening, which means my framework must not be square. so i'm going to pack out the front face with packers.
Your best bet under the circumstances is to cut a brace to go at the bottom of the liner, cut both ends perfectly square and make the length identical to the internal size at the top - place that on the floor inside the liner and wedge both sides to it, use a long straightedge when screwing up the more central parts of the liner.

Fitting a door liner correctly is a complex procedure, you only really learn to do it easily after the first few hundred.
That's a really good idea, wish I had seen this post and done that! Ended up fiddling for an hour or so and managed to get it fairly square in the frame. I've been reading and people seem to recommend removing the lining and door from the room when plastering due to the moisture content?

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”