What are we all doing ?

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob225

What are we all doing ?

Post by Bob225 »

More painting 2nd coat but it will need a third, ordered some computer bits, a new M.2 SSD for my main machine and an SFX PSU for a project as the ATX one is too big - well it fits but makes life difficult
Argyll

What are we all doing ?

Post by Argyll »

The bushes went on my DYSON DC07. They were around £8 on ebay but £17 for a new motor so I just went for the new motor. Taking it apart one of the lugs broke that held in the brush. I was so tempted to launch it through the air :cussing: . I managed to source a new head for it albeit a slightly different colour from a guy local to me who fixes them. It cost me a fiver.

We live in such a throwaway culture now I'm always pleased when I revive something that'll serve a good few more years.

Total cost £22.
Dyson.jpg
Dyson.jpg (63.48 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Argyll

What are we all doing ?

Post by Argyll »

ayjay wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 pm I've just put a Bread Pudding in the oven. I had some stale bread and thought I'd make one. Searched unsuccessfully for some currants and raisins etc but found an unopened jar of Mincemeat - best before Nov 2004. :shock:

It tasted fine, so in it went instead, I'm quite looking forward to it in about an hours time.
My ex mother in law (Londoner) used to make it all the time. I had never tried it before but fell in love with it. I haven't had it for years.
Chippo1

What are we all doing ?

Post by Chippo1 »

I have always thought that Dyson are a triumph of marketing over substance
Bob225

What are we all doing ?

Post by Bob225 »

The last 5-10 years Dyson have been engineered to a price a local repair guy has the cordless ones in weekly due to dead battery pack or the charge circuits losing their balance

That reminds me, i still need to change the power switch on old henry
ahfix

What are we all doing ?

Post by ahfix »

This weekend I decided to resize some Ikea wardrobes that had been dismantled and make some use of of them. I was reducing the depth from 500mm down to 350mm, units and shelves ... it started out well. The cuts had to be pretty accurate down to a mm or so to make everything line up. I used my parkside tracksaw with a 48 tooth triton blade and a new splinter guard which produced really clean cuts.

I soon lost my patience and it only got worse as I got more irritated and tired. I have slopped ceilings and decided to cut a unit to fit the recess. I screwed up a cut so the mitre was the wrong way, long story short I ended up with 1 full unit and one shorter than I expected, only by 40mm. No one else will notice but I do!

Lesson learnt ... when tired or *****ed off - stop and have a cup of tea.

The units look nice but I could have saved a lot of time and effort if I had just thought through things a bit better and stopped when I should have. I kept going as I had all the tools out and didn't want to pack and unpack everything.

Table saw would have made things much faster but it's currently in the back of the shed blocked by 6 backs of cement.

ah
Chippo1

What are we all doing ?

Post by Chippo1 »

Been there done that Ahfix , at least you only messed up some material , in those circumstances nasty accidents can happen!
Argyll

What are we all doing ?

Post by Argyll »

Bob225 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:22 pm The last 5-10 years Dyson have been engineered to a price a local repair guy has the cordless ones in weekly due to dead battery pack or the charge circuits losing their balance

That reminds me, i still need to change the power switch on old henry
Dyson moved to Singapore a few years ago and I think the quality dropped considerably. I have the V6 cordless that has served me well for a couple of years. Needless to say after saying this it will inevitably pack up this week.
Argyll

What are we all doing ?

Post by Argyll »

ahfix wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:13 pm This weekend I decided to resize some Ikea wardrobes that had been dismantled and make some use of of them. I was reducing the depth from 500mm down to 350mm, units and shelves ... it started out well. The cuts had to be pretty accurate down to a mm or so to make everything line up. I used my parkside tracksaw with a 48 tooth triton blade and a new splinter guard which produced really clean cuts.

I soon lost my patience and it only got worse as I got more irritated and tired. I have slopped ceilings and decided to cut a unit to fit the recess. I screwed up a cut so the mitre was the wrong way, long story short I ended up with 1 full unit and one shorter than I expected, only by 40mm. No one else will notice but I do!

Lesson learnt ... when tired or *****ed off - stop and have a cup of tea.

The units look nice but I could have saved a lot of time and effort if I had just thought through things a bit better and stopped when I should have. I kept going as I had all the tools out and didn't want to pack and unpack everything.

Table saw would have made things much faster but it's currently in the back of the shed blocked by 6 backs of cement.

ah
Been there and done it. It's not the first time I've left my shed at 2 am because I wanted to finish a job and then woke up the next day thinking about how I much better of a job I'd have made if I stopped at 9pm.
chrrris

What are we all doing ?

Post by chrrris »

Chippo1 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 pm I have always thought that Dyson are a triumph of marketing over substance
Yeah, my brother was showing me his fancy Dyson fan that cost £250. I think he'd managed to convince himself how much better that a "normal" fan was because the air coming off it was less "choppy". Honestly, I think if I sat in front of it with my eyes closes I could sort-of get a vague impression of what he meant, but really it wasn't significantly better than my £20 10" pifco fan that comes out during the hot weather. Even if I had the money to burn, I don't think I'd waste £250 on a fan.

They seem as much a lifestyle thing as anything else... that kind of stuff goes right over my head!
Haste is the enemy of quality.
Someone-Else

What are we all doing ?

Post by Someone-Else »

The thing that "tickles me" about dyson stuff, they say its bladeless, no it isn't the blade is in the handle or its "leg" its just that you can't see it.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

What are we all doing ?

Post by Bob225 »

That side of Dyson is very apple sheeple, hipster types

£300 for a hair drier
£450 for an air curler
£350-450 for hair straighteners
£650 for a floor standing lamp

Today i put a metal cabinet up for sale, promptly damaged it taking it apart, so had to change the listing and reduce the price - sold within 20 mins (need the space so it had to go) hay ho
Chippo1

What are we all doing ?

Post by Chippo1 »

I love good sleek design, but also requires functionality in the end result.

Dyson , fails , and clearly does always a pile of them at the tip.

They have always had filters , if fact I complained to the ASA and they had to pull TV adds as a result was me 34 others and Hoover who complained

Why the hell don’t they have batteries like power tools , our 9 lasts 10 mins top whack on high power and then takes ages to charge pitiful . The suck is useless on normal power.

It’s poorly balanced , in my opinion putting higher strain on wrists

The plastic seems poor quality to

Bought one cos wife wanted one as she felt it would be less taxing than Henry . I do the vacuuming any way
Chippo1

What are we all doing ?

Post by Chippo1 »

Interesting worked with a professional joiner on a charity shop project a few weeks ago , he had a Festool vac , and although it worked well and was about 5 years old he showed all the places where bits of plastic were broken off or cracked and I have always thought my Festool Midi seemed fragile in places.
Someone-Else

What are we all doing ?

Post by Someone-Else »

Changed the boxes for the fountain lights controls.

b1.jpg
b1.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
First box

b2.jpg
b2.jpg (74.05 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Same box but with cable glands, and cables

b3.jpg
b3.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Second box

b5.jpg
b5.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Same box but with cable glands and more cables.

Looks like a "5 minute job" but first all the cables have to be labelled (So they go back in the right place) then calculate where the holes can go (Not too near any edge as the glands won't fit) drill the holes, fit the glands, thread the cables through and then connect them, and of course test it all. At least it was a sunny day.

The first box controls 4 RGB lights, the second box controls 6 RGB lights.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “The Lounge”