Driving Licence renewal

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Driving Licence renewal

Post by ayjay »

I'll have to renew my DL in June as it runs out when I turn 70.

I've just filled in an on-line form and they tell me that I'll shortly receive a form via snail-mail that I have to fill in and return.

When I return that form, I'm supposed to cut up my current licence and send that too.

Reading up some more, this document:- https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... h-dvla.pdf

On page 6 it says :-

Q "I am over 70 years old and have sent my licence to the DVLA to renew my entitlement to drive. Can I carry on driving while my form is with you?

A As soon as the DVLA receives your correct and complete application for a new licence and as long as you meet all the Section 88 criteria you may drive.

Unless there's something wrong with either my English comprehension or the DVLA document, that's saying that I can't drive in between me posting my licence and them receiving it. :wtf:
One day it will all be firewood.
etaf

Driving Licence renewal

Post by etaf »

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
you had a valid licence
you only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
your application is less than a year old
your last licence wasn’t revoked or refused for medical reasons
you’re not currently disqualified
you weren’t disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013
Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -with-dvla
These users thanked the author etaf for the post:
ayjay (Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Simple DIYer
Wayne
ayjay

Driving Licence renewal

Post by ayjay »

etaf wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:34 pm https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
Driving while DVLA has your licence
You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

you have the support of your doctor to continue driving
you had a valid licence

Read the guidance ‘Can I drive while my application is with DVLA?’ for more information.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -with-dvla
The wording on the first link makes more sense, and is where I began the process, but I'd already used the "Start Now" button which is above that on the page.

Your second link is the same as mine with the confusing wording on page 6. That is still saying to me that I can drive once they've received my application, (and therefore not whilst my licence is in the post), but I'll work on the more favourable info, it still goes against the grain to surrender a valid licence by post before having a new one.
Cannyfixit

Driving Licence renewal

Post by Cannyfixit »

Make a copy of all your license entitlements before sending,DVLA have been know to return your licence with some entitlements missing
Happened to someone I know they lost the motorbike entitlements and had to retake he test
These users thanked the author Cannyfixit for the post (total 2):
ayjay (Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:19 am) • adonis (Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
aeromech3

Driving Licence renewal

Post by aeromech3 »

My application was all done on-line, but I have a modern chip passport and did not need to keep the heavier vehicles group 2.
fin

Driving Licence renewal

Post by fin »

i renewed mine recently although i am 39. it had cone to the end of its 10 years. i sorta forgot to send my old one back like
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
camallison (Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 am)
Cannyfixit

Driving Licence renewal

Post by Cannyfixit »

fin wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:16 am i renewed mine recently although i am 39. it had cone to the end of its 10 years. i sorta forgot to send my old one back like
Same for me,so I put it down as I had lost mine that way if they were to make a mistake I miraculously found my my old one :wink:
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
chrrris

Driving Licence renewal

Post by chrrris »

Take detailed photos of your licence before you send it off. Mate of mine had his motorcycle entitlement removed from his licence when he received his new one from the DVLA. He got it all sorted eventually, but took weeks and he had visions of having to take his bike test again!
Haste is the enemy of quality.
ayjay

Driving Licence renewal

Post by ayjay »

Dragging this back up as my new licence finally arrived today - I posted the application on 27/4/20. I must admit, I thought that they'd lost it, I even got a replacement Birth Certificate just in case as my original one was with the application.

I've got to do a bit of digging as there are categories missing that were on the old one, the most important one being larger vehicles. I could drive up to 7.5 tonnes on the old one but that's disappeared, and I'm now down to 3.5 tonnes max, it's not something I'll want to do regularly (or possibly never now), but I'd like the option back!
Rorschach

Driving Licence renewal

Post by Rorschach »

I just did this online for an over 70 family member. Applied online on the wednesday afternoon, new license arrived friday morning.

If you want to retain more than the basic entitlements you need to be assessed I believe, not an issue in our case as they will never drive more than a car again.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
ayjay (Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:19 pm)
Bob225

Driving Licence renewal

Post by Bob225 »

Is it your first picture licence ? if so all the categories have changed

You get grandfather rights if you passed before 1997

Licences issued before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
ayjay (Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm)
ayjay

Driving Licence renewal

Post by ayjay »

@ Rohrschach: I think if you're just renewing a photo licence it's very simple, but mine was an old paper licence valid from 1978, (I'm still trying to work that date out, I passed my test in 72 and didn't change my address in 78, it might have been a late address change from 76 though) and I had to provide two different proofs of identity, one being a Birth Certificate as I no longer have a Passport. Also see Bob's reply re *Grandfather Rights*

@ Bob225: Yes, it's my first picture licence, and yes the categories have definitely changed. I discovered *Grandfather Rights* a bit earlier this afternoon, but I need to do some more digging on that. I think I do actually have to ask for them to be put on there rather than them granting it automatically.

it might have made a difference had I sent my old licence with the application (as requested), but obviously I knew better at the time. :lol:
Rorschach

Driving Licence renewal

Post by Rorschach »

Ah didn't realise it was a full on change etc.

Well at least you know when you do your photo license in a few years time it will be fast and easy.
Bob225

Driving Licence renewal

Post by Bob225 »

Mine is due for the 10-year renewal soon, my granddad still had his red book up until the early 90's before getting a paper licence

It can get very confusing but that's because its to do with the Goverment
ayjay

Driving Licence renewal

Post by ayjay »

Bob225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 pm Mine is due for the 10-year renewal soon, my granddad still had his red book up until the early 90's before getting a paper licence
The last time I had my Merc Van serviced I had to produce my licence in order to have a courtesy vehicle. The guy looked at my paper licence and then looked at me as though I was daft, he'd never seen one before!

OK so just to get this clear, the categories shown with dates are the ones that I'm licensed for?
DL2 modified modified.jpg
DL2 modified modified.jpg (180.41 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

Here's my old licence, and I'm not really sure now which categories on there I was licensed for, :oops: I guess it's just those with an asterisk and an entry in the *Stamp* column, but if so, that clearly shows C & C1 which is for up to 7.5 tonnes.

DL1 (1) modified modified.jpg
DL1 (1) modified modified.jpg (230.18 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

Return to “The Lounge”