Silly idea

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

I had this silly idea yesterday. It just popped into my head out of the blue, like stuff does sometimes.

I thought I could try and put together a collection of model cars, Dinky/Corgi 1/43 scale, to represent all the models that I've owned. I then decided that I could extend that a bit by adding in my Dad's cars, (it's only five more). Make them up into a display and put them in my man-cave.

Having owned a few estate cars I thought it might be a problem, but I've found most of them, some still available new, some not. The most elusive so far has been the Vauxhall Viva HC estate. I've even found most of the vans too. I think going for a colour match is a step too far, but I could paint them, I don't care if ruins any value, that's not why I'm buying them - I'm mostly looking at 2nd hand on eBay, any new ones I'd leave as bought.

Anyone else done the same, or something similar?
One day it will all be firewood.
Dave54

Silly idea

Post by Dave54 »

I've not got "The full set" but I've got a "Sit up and Beg" Pop in the same colour that dad had, a Fordson van of similar type, that dad had, an orange Mini, a Mk 1 Cortina, and a Mk 2 Zodiac in similar colours to dad's. S2 / 3 LWB Land Rover Safari, and a S1 SWB in RAC livery, that used to be one of those you could "drive" from a connected handset. I think I remember them at Woolies in days of yore.

You've set me thinking. . .
Rorschach

Silly idea

Post by Rorschach »

Mine would be a grand collection of 2! lol

It's a nice idea though. If you had pictures to go in the display that would be a nice touch.
dewaltdisney

Silly idea

Post by dewaltdisney »

This got me thinking, I was trying to think of the cars I have had which have been mostly Ford. Started with a 105E Anglia, Cortina GT Mk1, Cortina L mk3, Capri GL Mk2, Cortina Ghia Mk4, Cortina Gl Mk5, Cortina Estate Mk5 (short period) Sierra GL, Sierra Ghia (first new car) Granada Scorpio, Mondeo Ghia Mk1 , Modeo Ghia mk2, Volvo V40 (short period) Mondeo Ghia X mk3, Mondeo Titanium Mk4, Mondeo Titanium X Mk 4 (stolen) Mondeo Titanium X Mk4, Mondeo Titanium X Mk 5, Kuga Titanium current. Bloody hell 17 cars in 40 years of driving which makes about two and half years for each as an average. I think the most beautiful was my Capri but also the worst too. It was white with a black vinyl roof and a body kit, with sports wheels and chrome wheel embellishers. It was not that quick, and the cam shaft went twice, the Mk 4 Cortina Ghia was a lovely looker too.

I think that if I started a collection my OCD would cut in as I would not find the trim levels on the models :lol:

DWD
ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

dewaltdisney wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:20 pm I think that if I started a collection my OCD would cut in as I would not find the trim levels on the models
.......and there was me thinking that even the right colour wasn't that important!

So, it's either not such a crazy idea, or at the very least it's not only me that's crazy.

I'm off to make a list now.

I might have to start frequenting antique/junk shops.
Dave54

Silly idea

Post by Dave54 »

Mine have mostly been picked up when I saw them from boot sales and junk shops.
The Fords, were a boxed set someone got me as a present. It was probably mum. I'd have been about 40!
ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

Dave54 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:52 pm
The Fords, were a boxed set someone got me as a present. It was probably mum. I'd have been about 40!
My Mum would have been more likely to have thrown them out. My cricket stumps disappeared - I found them again on wash day, she was heaving the washing around in the *copper* with them - (pre washing machines). I had a scooter, foot powered, it was collapsible - she saw it collapsed down and thought it was broken, chucked it out. :angryfire:

It's just occurred to me that when nipper says "What do want for Xmas/ Birthday" etc, I could now have an answer! :mrgreen:
ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

My head is telling me not to do this, but my heart is winning. :mrgreen:

I've got a short list of 20 and I've ascertained that at least 18 of those are available. I'm struggling to find an Astra Mk1 van at the moment, and I'll never match that to DWD's standards as it had a sun-roof (fitted from new to the previous owner's spec) and also a Vauxhall Viva HC estate is eluding me so far.

I decided I needed some sort of plan, otherwise I'm likely to just buy everything I see straight away and it'll all be over in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to be more strict than I thought I was going to be with the colour (unless what I want is not made), and I'm going to try and fill the list in slowly working from both ends age-wise. A lot of the vans I'm seeing are signwritten, which is a bit of a nuisance, but I'll think of something, probably paint-stripper! I can do Philistine if I have to.

A Black Ford Pop 103E is on my shopping list for tonight, and so it begins. :-)
Nos

Silly idea

Post by Nos »

Nice idea think I will try the same but, with the women I have "Known" :lol: :lol: :roll:.

Starting with cars, Mini D reg, put MG 1100 engine in, Triumph Spitfire 1300 K reg, Mazda 929 est put Daimler Dart V8 in it M reg, Hillman Avenger Est, Renault 4, Moggy 1000, Citroen GS, Mini Auto, rebuilt with 1430 120BHP engine, Renault 20TS, Renault 30 TX V6, Vauxhall Senator 24 Valve ex police, got 142MPH out of it just once!, new Disco auto, new Mitsubishi L200, new Renault Twingo (Crap!) worst car ever owned, Toyota Hilux, Toyota Hilux (Top of the range), new Toyota Yaris Hybrid, 60+ Mpg, looking for next car so back to the trucks.
ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

Nos wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:55 am Nice idea think I will try the same but, with the women I have "Known" :lol: :lol: :roll:.
Do you have a compressor to pump them all up? :lol:

My list, Dad's cars first
Ford Pop 103E
Ford Pop 100 E
Both hire cars used for holidays in the 50s, came from RK Motors in Wood Green.
Hillman Minx 1954, GAN286 painted bright orange and the first car bought by my Dad for £40 when the owner won £250 (on the horses) and decided to buy something better. He got pulled up by plod once who spent a good hour going over it and was really annoyed that he couldn't find anything wrong, no annual MOT then, a ten year test in those days.
Austin A35, 419FRA bought for my mum, and the first car I drove, unlicensed, I was only 14! I drove a mate home in it one day when it was chucking it down with rain - he was a Police Cadet and only realised when we were halfway there how old I was, he nearly shat himself, not cos of my driving, just the ramifications of him getting caught.
Ford Anglia - AVX437B the one with the sloping rear window, absolutely no recollection of the number of that one for some reason, but my teacher at Junior School had one, 91ALE. Edit: just remembered the number whilst reading the preview, I knew it was in there somewhere
Hillman Minx 111C from 1960ish UHV885
Wolseley 16/60 AUV115H an automatic, my Dad always moaned about the fuel consumption compared to a manual.

My cars

Austin Mini 4025MG was actually branded an Austin Seven, before they were called Minis.
MiniVan NMC290L bought brand new £615, on the road inc Tax and a full tank, you could only get £1.50 of fuel in the tank!
Viva HC estate TYE609M
Bedford HA Van ex Gas Board DGS344T
Vauxhall Chevette SLP322W
Astra Mk1 Van - automatic, a B reg, but can't remember any more of it.
Citroen BX estate, a nice motor, did 50mpg however you drove it - the suspension let it down when it got older with constant new leaks every few weeks. The reg number is in my head but won't come out.
AstraMax van - rotted away after spending two winters working in Swanage and using the Sandbanks ferry every day.
Peugeot 405 Hunter Estate K reg
Citroen Berlingo van X864DJH on a sorn in my front garden, just a tin shed now, would still run OK with a fresh battery.
VW Passat TDI 130 sport: estate, MU51DWC, probably my favourite motor, loads of grunt - even at 100mph would still kick you in the back if you put your foot down.
BMW 320 auto estate NJ58OEN - I didn't want to sell this one, but needed a van for my wife's scooter - still going since I sold it in 2016, passed MOT every year since then too with no failures.
Mercedes Citan Van GM15YPN - not bought for work, just for all my wife's spastic paraphernalia
Peugeot Expert Traveller - wav - so much easier than all that hoisting wheelchairs etc.

I may well include my old mate Pete's Series 1 Landy DAN177D in my collection as I spent a lot of time in that, working, drinking and wenching. I guess Pete has passed on now, he's 15 years older than me and his Xmas cards dried up two years back.

I think they've all got stories to tell, which is one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and make start.
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
BMW.jpg
BMW.jpg (134.44 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG (256.56 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
dewaltdisney

Silly idea

Post by dewaltdisney »

I thought you might enjoy this Ayjay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItz5ZO2b9Y

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 2):
ayjay (Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 pm) • Dave54 (Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

Thanks DW, it was very cheesy though, but plenty of totty. :-)

I did go to the car show a couple times, but a bit later on, it would have been some time between then and about 1968

Astra Van Mk1 B309YMP - they're all in there, but they only come out when they want to.

Found another pic, Bedford HA Van, that's not the wife, it's the dog.
Scan1 modified modified+.jpg
Scan1 modified modified+.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Dave54

Silly idea

Post by Dave54 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:36 pm I thought you might enjoy this Ayjay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItz5ZO2b9Y

DWD
Amazing what they can do with CGI these days isn't it? :lol:
Watching that, you'd almost believe we had our own British companies who made cars here at one time. . .
ayjay

Silly idea

Post by ayjay »

I'm about halfway there, and there's a couple still on their way.

I'm definitely slowing down now trying to find mostly Vauxhalls and Bedfords: I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as a Viva HC estate 1:43 model, an Astra Mk1 Van or an Astramax Van. The Wolseley 16/60 is also not showing up, I can find a 15/60 but it's over £100!

I've got to paint the HA van and probably also the Austin 7 Mini when I buy one as I've not seen a dark blue model yet.
IMG_1145 modified_filtered.jpg
IMG_1145 modified_filtered.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
dewaltdisney

Silly idea

Post by dewaltdisney »

I saw this video about the HA and thought you might find it interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_4g4tY6BY

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 2):
ayjay (Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 pm) • Dave54 (Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:51 pm)
Rating: 14.29%

Return to “The Lounge”