What to to...

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Grendel

What to to...

Post by Grendel »

Not exactly a new years resolution but i've been meaning to shift some things around in the garden. One area i had timber stacked up , sheeted so all nice and dry and on slabs so it's all nice and flat. I've been meaning to move the timber , lift the slabs and move the soft fruit into the area. And by meaning to i mean since we moved in 15 years ago. I actua!ly did it over the christmas period , built a lean to next to my workshop and transfered the timber into it. I hadn't totally forgotten what i had under the sheets but it had perhaps been pushed to the back of my mind. It is mostly oak , for example three 11ft lengths of 12x3 , an eight foot piece 11x8 , a reclaimed purlin eight inches square although unfortunately bowed and numerous other bits and pieces including boards. It's all timber i had intended to do something with " at some point" but obviously haven't for 15 years plus the time it lived at my former house which is probably another five + years . I'm now wondering what to do with it all , well the larger sections at least. The boards i have a plan for. I could make something out of it although that seems unlikely or i could saw it up for firewood which seems a terrible shame . I could sell it not that i really need the money although i'll admit i don't know how much it's worth. A friend has suggested cutting it into turning blanks and selling it that way which would certainly make it easier to move . I must have been stronger 15 years ago because there certainly seems to be some weight in it. I could of course just leave it there as an "investment" for my daughter which basically means it would be her problem in a few decades time.
So question , just what would others do....?
dewaltdisney

What to to...

Post by dewaltdisney »

I think that his is a dilemma faced by may wood hoarders like me too. I had some heavy oak boards that I ripped and thicknessed into usable stock. I had thought it would come in handy one day but that day never came. We have been decluttering over the last year and I bit the bullet and disposed of a lot to friends with wood burners. The thing is that there are not that many home woodworkers out there these days and businesses just order and buy it in prepared. It is very hard to find a good home for timber like this. I would be inclined to try it on the free advertising sites, I looked on Ebay and there are lots of oak packages for sale but only £25'ish which seems the going rate.

Perhaps a local timber frame company local might be interested but the transport and handling cost will put a lot off.

Good luck with it

DWD
Someone-Else

What to to...

Post by Someone-Else »

Although I am not a woodworking person, I have to agree with dewaltdisney, it is a shame to let it "go to waste" but that is a sad fact these days, most folk want something yesterday, or (like me) don't have the skills to make something from scratch, not to mention the value, to you its "worth a bit" to everyone else it's a pile of wood worth nothing.

I would say if you have a wood burning stove, then rather than dump it, get some use and burn it.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Dave54

What to to...

Post by Dave54 »

Try for any local furniture makers, artists or carvers? Local craft association might know someone.
The trouble is with stuff like timber, is if you wanted some, it'd cost an arm and a leg to buy. If you want it gone, you almost have to pay someone to take it.
ayjay

What to to...

Post by ayjay »

Not my work, but was on here a while ago.
totempole2.jpg
totempole2.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
totempole1.jpg
totempole1.jpg (217.58 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
One day it will all be firewood.
Dave54

What to to...

Post by Dave54 »

^ I like that!
Grendel

What to to...

Post by Grendel »

Thanks for the replies. A friend did mention having it ripped down at a local timbermill but i tend to think it probably wouldn't be worth the cost. I have considered using a chainsaw to rip it into thinner boards , would cost less and i wouldn't have to move it although there's a good deal more waste. It's something i have done before , perhaps not ideal but he ho. I've made and sold several chests and benches for re-enactment and primarily wide and thinnish boards are the ideal material I've had a look around ebay and also checked out turning blanks and as dwd says most of it isn't a huge price but i'm not really in a hurry to sell it anyway. As it is i've stacked it in the new lean to so at least it's not in the way as such. Funnily enough when i first brought it around here my father did say " you might as well burn it , you'll never use it" and maybe he was right.
I do like that fancy post , totem pole or whatever it is and would like to give it a go but i'm sure someone in this house would have something to say if i were to do that rather than " more important stuff" .
ayjay

What to to...

Post by ayjay »

Grendel wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:14 pm i've stacked it in the new lean to
Also not my work. Work?
logstack.jpg
logstack.jpg (150.33 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
logstack2.jpg
logstack2.jpg (119.73 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
One day it will all be firewood.

Return to “The Lounge”