Air Fryer

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Air Fryer

Post by dewaltdisney »

We have made a discovery of an air fryer. We were talking to the owner of the cafe we go to on occasions and Mrs D asked how the chips were so crispy and free from oil. She told us all about her air fryer. It is a bit of a misnomer as it is really a mini convection oven. We got hooked on the idea as it is quick and saves a lot of energy heating up our main oven. We bought a Tower one for £48 off Amazon.

When it came I experimented for the first time by cooking half a bag of sweet potato chips. It took ten minutes, you set the temperature and time and off it goes. I pulled the pan out after 5 minutes and tossed them and then resumed. In ten minutes the chips were lovely. No grease in the basket, hot and dry. Since then I have cooked some southern fried chicken strips and they also took ten minutes and were perfection. I tried battered fish fillets which normally take ages in the oven and this did them in about twelve minutes, lovely and crispy. I am still learning but first impressions are good. There are loads of Youtube vids to see on it.

What appeals to me is that when we use our main fan oven it takes about ten minutes to get to temperature and then fifteen to twenty minutes to cook most things. It is never crispy I find and it always a nagging thought of how much energy I am using for perhaps one meal. This is great

Anyone else got one? I never heard of them before last week.

DWD
Rorschach

Air Fryer

Post by Rorschach »

I have heard good things about them from family but not yet tried one myself. From what I have been told they are great for 1-2 people, not so useful for larger families, also only good for cooking one item, unlike an oven where you can do multiple items at once. Pro's and con's, just like with all gadgets I guess.

They are very economical however and a lot less messy than deep fryers etc.
Someone-Else

Air Fryer

Post by Someone-Else »

I am sad, I have seen them months ago on "infomercials" ("Chef" Tony) but I always thought its just another gimmick. Link to the one you have please.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Dave54

Air Fryer

Post by Dave54 »

Sounds good Walt. I've seen them, and thought they sounded like a good idea.
Might well try one in the New Year.
dewaltdisney

Air Fryer

Post by dewaltdisney »

Here is a link to the one we got https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... pchoseo-21. It has a 4.2 litre capacity so it takes a fair bit but it would might not suit a family large portion. However, I can see a busy mum cooking chicken dippers and chips for her kids meal in ten minutes. You can put fish and the chips in at the same time and lots of other combinations like sausage and bacon but I have not tried that yet. When I did the fish fillets I bunged them in the microwave for a few minutes first as in the main you cook from frozen and I was worried in case it did not cook through. I need not have worried it was piping hot and cooked to perfection, better than when we oven cook.

One amazing thing is there is no grease left behind, perhaps a couple of drips, and it crisps and browns very well. Okay this might end up on the Ronco shelf in time, next to the bread maker, but at the minute I am very pleased with it and also the energy we are saving. There are a lot of videos on Youtube but many are boring chumps so be selective.

DWD
Rorschach

Air Fryer

Post by Rorschach »

Terrible timing with your recommendation here, if it had been a few months ago I could have borrowed one from my dad to try out.
dewaltdisney

Air Fryer

Post by dewaltdisney »

Ha ha, I had never heard of them until a week ago. I accept it will not suit everyone but I like the healthy, thrifty and speedy aspects of using it. :thumbright:

DWD
Someone-Else

Air Fryer

Post by Someone-Else »

Thanks.

................and do you put "ordinary" chips in it? Or do you put "Oven chips" in it?
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
APDIY (Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Bob225

Air Fryer

Post by Bob225 »

But can it deep fry a mars bar, pizza or kebab

Edit. YouTube has the answers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2R8_XflC3g
wine~o

Air Fryer

Post by wine~o »

I used an air fryer once, about 3 years ago whilst visiting relatives. Didn't crisp evenly at all. I'll stick with my deep fat fryer thanks.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dewaltdisney

Air Fryer

Post by dewaltdisney »

I do not know on the chips front?? I used oven sweet potato chips. If you can cook ordinary chips in an ordinary oven then I suppose you can because all this is is a mini fan oven. I have deduced that a lower temperature cooks thicker stuff through and you boost the crisping by turning up the temperature at the end. Not sure as I am still experimenting. This appliance will not suit cooking type people, it suits people like me who are not interested in food and eat to live and find cooking an inconvenience. I like the speed and low energy usage.

DWD
AleesLLD
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Air Fryer

Post by AleesLLD »

We've brought my parents one for Christmas after them talking about it on and off for ages. I'm looking forward to having some tasty chips.
dewaltdisney

Air Fryer

Post by dewaltdisney »

A couple of weeks in now and I love it. As I am Type 2 I have to watch what I eat which invariably means Mrs D and I eat different meals mostly. The air fryer helps this as it so quick with no warm up. I used to grill a fair bit but this seems to cook and crisp well once you have got the hang of it. I microwave stuff that is out of the freezer for a minute or so and this seems to help the process. For someone like me, who is incredibly impatient, it is a godsend.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
APDIY (Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:10 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “The Lounge”