Post by darrenba »

Not according to B&Q
IMG_4895.jpg
IMG_4895.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Ryobi - light trade?

Post by big-all »

of course they arnt up to a 100% hammering but will happily do 80-90% off the big boys toys

trade tools have limits to but few stick to them the just they get pushed to 120-130% then blame the tool

the point about light trade is many a person starting up will have little spare money so needs a kit to get started with

the usual choice is inappropriate big boys toys with 2x1.3ah nicads or stores own that are even less suitable
we are all ------------------still learning
Inky Pete

Post by Inky Pete »

I'd rate Ryobi over Erbauer and Evolution any day of the week!

I think Ryobi suffer a little from the fact that they are nearly good enough for full blown trade use, so tradesmen are using them and B&Q are seeing the warranty returns of tools which have been hammered day in day out.

I reckon they are absolutely fine for light trade use and on that basis will serve well for years beyond their warranty.
Renovator
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Renovator »

I agree with big-all and InkyPete. Too many bad reports about Erbauer and Evolution, I wouldn't touch 'em. Nothing wrong with Black & Decker, Worx or Bosch green, over the years I have known them to give good service for light trade use.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

How can they tell? Of course the cheapo stuff isn't up to 'industrial' standards of wear but there are some handymen that could trash a 'cheap' drill/saw/whatever in no time flat - so how would they decide whether it is a case of 'improper use' or, as really may be the case, a warranty-able fault?

I used to be quite realistic about the tools I bought, buying cheap to avoid losses if they were stolen/damaged but aware that they wouldn't last 'forever' - I'm also a cheapskate :lol:

Of course there will always be some who take advantae (much like women buying an expensive dress - not removin the price sticker - and taking it back as 'unsuitable' after wearin it for that special occasion :lol: ) but it must be happening on a much greater level if the sheds are now advertising the 'unworthiness' (as may be).....
Don't take it personally......
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

That sign is up at the "Tradepoint" counter..not in the general sales area...
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

Yes it was in the Tradepoint area
transitboy

Post by transitboy »

I was told the same thing when I wanted a cheap mac screwdriver :? :? :?
The man with no aim

Post by The man with no aim »

Seriously guys the performance of all Ryobi tools is vastly improved by the newer Lithium+ batteries, try one even if its just the small 1.5ah, the over-voltage does increase performance to a point where the only difference between them and the Makitia is the battery charging time, that 22min charge on the 3.0ah is gonna take some beating. Even the new 4.0ah Makitia ain't really gonna get any love from the trade users, it just takes too Fn long.
Bikergirl

Post by Bikergirl »

Interesting that JCB and Bosch green are in the DIY. Not had a Ryobi, but it all depends what you're using them for. My usual drill is a Hitachi 18v, but when the hammer isn't quite good enough, I resort to the old 24v DIY-ers blue Clarke that I inherited from my dad. It wouldn't stand up to everyday use (battery lasts 15 mins and takes 45 to charge), but for occasional bits, it's fine.
scot-canuck

Post by scot-canuck »

Only Ryobi I've ever had was a "imported for B&Q" jiggy that cut as straight as a dog peeing in snow.....

Though don't slur all their tools with that brush, just the stuff they only make for bnq.

Have an evolution rage circ saw and its a fantastic piece of kit, never had any issues with it at all and only paid £50.

Have an AEG cordless combi and drill driver, wicked pieces of kit but 1.5 batts aren't up to much drilling fine for screwdriving but not for drilling. Though considering the 2 x 3Ah kit from Bnq for £149 and contrary to the info FFX were given...AEG are here to stay but as second tier trade (i.e. for the volume market -cromwells, kingfisher etc)
Gone M.I.A.

Return to “Ryobi”