Ryobi

Ryobi power tool reviews in here please

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Ryobi

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I purchased a few Ryobi SDS drills as prizes for the competition. With the SDS drills I received a free Ryobi 12 volt cordless drill.

I gave one of the cordless drills to my friend and the other one to my brother in law. Yesterday I went to the brother in law's to fit some soft close door dampners to his kitchen units. I needed to drill 3 holes in the kitchen cupboards for the dampers.

I used the Ryobi drill and only drilled three holes in kitchen units and the handle of the drill seemed to get very warm :?

My other cordless drills are Dewalt and Bosch and they don't get warm. Has anyone had similar experiences ?
markysparky
Electrician
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ryobi

Post by markysparky »

Yes Mine get warm all the time, get hot occassionly too! But I'm rough as hell with my tools.

My apprentice is even rougher... little git managed to set fire to one of my combis drilling 80mm holes in MDF :evil:

But saying that Ryobi are not a bad tool. First ever battery drill I ever bought was a Ryobi, Good value for money and very robust, although it isn't the greatest performer, But adaquate :wink:
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Ryobi CAP-1801M 18V Angled Drill,

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

Friend bought the Ryobi Twin Pack deal with Screw Fit and got the Ryobi CAP-1801M 18V Angled Drill, this bad boy Image

I borrowed it to get the holes drilled in between the joists to run the cables through as I couldn't get in deep enough with my Elu and keep everything 50mm away from top and bottom of the joist (you know what I mean, yes? Good) problem wasn't the drill, once you can get behind it at just ripped through without labouring and no stalling.

Once started I got some good purchase and it just kept going that included a 4" main joist without issue.

I'm impressed enough to certainly consider this brand in the future.
Jaeger.
Senior Member doesn't mean I'm OLD!
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Ryobi ERH750V 240v 650 W SDS-Plus ‘ROTO STOP’

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

Purchased from Lawson HIS (best price I could find on the net).
Nett £84.95 Incl. £99.82 Link http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/pro ... BIERH-750V
Delivery charge is a very reasonable £3.35. I also had a look at their clearance section and added a few items. Delivery charge was unchanged.

Specs ...
  • # 2.0 joules impact energy.
    # Max drilling capacity: masonry 24mm.
    # Safety clutch to protect operator if bit jams.
    # Rotation stop for light chiselling.
    # Hammer stop for drilling and driving applications.
    # Includes 13mm keyless chuck and adaptor.
    # Twin bubble level for accurate drilling.
    # Variable speed 0 - 1,100rpm forward and reverse.
    # Livetool Indicator™ - Glows blue when plugged into the power supply.
    # GripZone™ overmould technology for improved comfort with a positive grip.
    # We supply this ERH750 with 13mm keyless chuck & adapter, 3 x SDS Drill Bits, 1 x flat chisel, 360° auxiliary handle, depth stop, carry case.
    # PLUS FREE Ryobi fleece jacket (extra large only).
Ordered Friday. It arrived today.

Haven't yet had the opportunity to use it but I'll add to this thread as I do.

It comes in the usual glossy sleeve...
Dead link removed 06/10/2014

Inside there's the hard case...

First impressions? It's a L o n g Drill, but that's SDS for you. It doesn't have the Tubular Housing that some have coming down from the main barrel. Some of these I would say are shorter.

Weighs in at a healthy 3kg.
The 'Grip-Zone' mentioned on the Glossy Box, is actually a good idea. Initially able to grab the drill with fingertips and feels very secure, should help pick up when in awkward situations. A feature I'm sure we'll see on others soon.

One short coming that is immediately apparent is the Forward/Reverse switch, I'm not confident it will/would survive rough handling which in most cases an SDS is going to get, just feels a little flimsy shame as it's ideally situated and will no doubt get used.

Oh The fleece is a good quality one made by PortWest, I’ll picture it later. No one else was offering the Free fleece or a better price.
Jaeger.
stevemastic

Post by stevemastic »

very nice... the acid test is will it mix plaster :oops:
Knock Knock Knock........ Stevies home!!!!

nil illegitimus carborundum
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

Following on with the Ryobi ERH750V.

I've used it now on a number of jobs and I'm impressed by this tool for the money, to be honest I couldn't say I've noticed it was the price it is, if you follow that.

Current jobs done, as I don't have any large core drills, in fact don't have any I use small masonry to build a circle and then break them out with the locked chisel.

To date, very happy with the control and accuracy of the machine. Standard facing bricks not a problem, block even easier.

Biggest test was just the other day, as the floor slab was being laid today; builders had asked if I could remove the temp mains water fix, which had the mains sticking out the ground right in the middle of the floor slab.

Attached 25mm x 450mm Hilti SDS to the Ryobi and it just sailed through block, cavity (well it would do) and faced brick. I recon that's it toughest test to date with the large 25mm drill face and the following long contact of a large diameter drill. The pipe just slid through with the help of some washing up liquid so the drill didn’t flap around and take excess out the hole, it’s a snug fit no drafts through it which is just right.

I'd certainly give this drill 8 out of 10, remembering that 10 is perfect and nothings perfect (well except 'She who makes lumpy custard')

Really liking the Blue power light on the handle was outside when I fitted the gas fire flue pre-Christmas Blue light shows where the drill is on the ground and that you're ok and haven't pulled the plug out from the top of the ladder. Really annoying when that happens, innit?
Jaeger.
flaxius
Newly registered Member

Post by flaxius »

Hi,

My first post here :hello2:

I'm turning into a bit of a Ryobi addict. Currently in my collection I have:
  • 1250Watt Router & Table
    One System:
    • 2 speed hammer drill/driver
      Trim saw
      Wet/Dry vac
      Flourescent lamp
      Detail sander
And I just got the 254mm Compound sliding mitre saw.

I've been very impressed with the price and quality of all the gear I've had so far. Much better than the blank & decker or own brand stuff but without the cost of Makita/Dewaly/Bosch etc.

Been looking at the Li-Ion batteris, but at £100 for 1 battery and a charger I might wait a while.

Rich
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

Welcome Rich :welcome:

Think you will find yourself in good company with your Ryobi fetish :thumbright:

Not really listed before, but here we go ....

SDS-710W (as post)

One+ Tools....
2-Speed Combi old-style
2-Speed Combi new-style
Impact Driver
Angle Drill
Oribital Sander
Circular Saw
Jig Saw
Wet-Dry vac x 3! (long story)
Tuff-Sucker
Flashlight
Radio

One+ Garden ....
Hedge Cutter
Long Handled Strimmer
Pruner
Grass Shears

Big load of One+ batteries & chargers

4.8V Screwdriver
Air-Grip Level

Until I listed it, never knew how much I collected :oops: :? :lol:

Only thing which was totally waste of money is Tuff-Sucker :sad:
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
misterk
Newly registered Member

Post by misterk »

Ryobi seem to be very popular for DIY use. I'm going to be getting a few Ryobi from now on after all the good comments about them on here :wink:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

one plus

circ saw
recip saw
jig saw
hammer drill
impact driver
nail gun
planer
radio
strimmer
fan
tuff sucker
wetxdry vac
lamin trimmer/router
fluro light

take 5 exactly the same as one plus but slide on batts

circ saw
jig saw
2 mitre/chop saw
3 hammer drills
fluro lamp

230v
4" belt sander
ev 1150 1/2" router

a rediculus amount of tools :oops:

add in the dewalt bosch and other assorted makes i have over 50 tools mostly battery :roll: :roll: :roll:
we are all ------------------still learning
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

What is the Fan like, Big-All? And is the floro light good? fancied both of those two :lol:

And why have you not got a One+ caulking gun :shock: not sure if anyone has bought one of them?
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?"
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

Hoovie wrote:What is the Fan like, Big-All? And is the floro light good? fancied both of those two :lol:

And why have you not got a One+ caulking gun :shock: not sure if anyone has bought one of them?
2 of the better buys :wink:

the fluro lamp is great will run for several hours on a flat battery or several days on a full battery its got a 9w bulb and gives out loads off light

even if its uses 30w per hr on the battery thats 35hrs per ah on the battery so thats longer than 48 hrs on a 1.7 ah battery

the 2 lamps i have are great for the up to 3 a year power cuts we have and because i have so may battery tools i can happily carry on with my woodwork in a power cut

they are great for bbqs and general patio/garden lighting but note the 2.4 batteries dont fit as they are a fraction wider on the base

if you need any spare bulbs i can do 2 for £5 as they where £2.20 each [£22 for 10]

fan is great a good as a mains one 2 speed 9" blade 300w so will last for 5 or 6 hrs on afull battery mostly on full power

i like mines additionaly to disperse the mdf dust when cutting in the shed or the garden

the caulking gun seems expensive for the amound of effort it saves
one person says its great and 2 a waste of time
so i am assuming they are moaning because the bead is uneaven this will be caused by there uneven swing rate rather than the powerd continuous feed rate
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

I have one of the spotlight/torches and I like that a lot, but fancied a fluro as it gives a much wider light I would think and be nice as you say for a patio light. The Fan also appeals a lot :lol:

I sort of like the radio but it annoys me at the same time - not very good at picking up quite a few stations which smaller ones so, but nice and loud when it does.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

as long as you realise the rubber thing on top is an ariel and not a handle you should be ok :thumbright:
Hoovie
Borders Bodger

Post by Hoovie »

Doh :roll:

Actually , I did know that :lol: must be my yokel location :wink:

Return to “Ryobi”