Metabo BAE 75 3" Belt Sander 240v BAE75

Metabo power tool reviews in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Mozzy Jones
Has thanked: 0

Metabo BAE 75 3" Belt Sander 240v BAE75

Post by Mozzy Jones »

After the Hitachi blowing up after 5 minutes this is probably the machine I have selected (mostly because I like the look of it)

Before I do, is there anyone going to say DOOOOOOOON'T do it, get a XXXX?

Thanks

Mike
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I can't remember anyone ever saying anything bad about Metabo, so you should be ok :wink:
Mozzy Jones

Post by Mozzy Jones »

Many thanks for replying. I'll wait a day or so just in case there is something I don't know about it, or perhaps if someone has had a bad call.

Mike
trumpetmonkey

Post by trumpetmonkey »

Did you buy it yet Mike? As you know I'm planning to get one also with this grant (interminable process still going on), so do write up a review, I will be eager to read it.
Mozzy Jones

Post by Mozzy Jones »

Yes indeed, it is here and has been tried. Faetures wise it is good also the stand is handy for inverted sanding (wood to sander) well made, but a bit bl00dy heavy for sure, possibly a good sign of the quality because comparing to my other tools which are Makita, Dewalt and Festool it is extremely well made.

Only slight criticism thus far is teh flimsy way teh front handle attaches, but I can live with it.

It is a bit finicky getting teh belt adjustment just so, and will wander depending on speed so it needs resetting each speed change. Once on wood though it stays put. I used some 120 grit on an old door I had here and it was very good. The included fence is handy as well thus giving you a straight edge to sand with. I ripped on the edge of the door with a cheapo circular saw with at least 3 teeth on the blade and of course it was as rough as hell. No worries for the Metabo though, it simply cleaned it up in under two minutes and left a very smooth finish that I just finished by hand with a chamfer.

Price I thought was good (Lawsons) all the extras are well worthwhile, dust collection was surprisingly good as well, though empty the bag at a max of half full much the same as any other make.

When I'm not so darned busy I will try my best to update this post with some pictures.

No case of course so guess I'll be making one over Christmas.

Mike
trumpetmonkey

Re: Metabo BAE 75 3" Belt Sander 240v BAE75

Post by trumpetmonkey »

I've got mine too now.

Positives:
- It feels solid and heavy - I figure heavy is good on these things as the weight does the work as you just guide it around.
- I love the inverted bench mount stand, good for finishing small items - used it for rapidly shaping the back of one of my carved lovespoons.

Negatives:
I must say I've got some reservations about it:
- The speed changing dial is a recessed plastic thing that is quite stiff so it's darn awkward to turn.
- It's juddering all the time as I use it - is this just me, am I doing it wrong? My friend's Makita didn't do this.
- In use the long shape and rear handle feels a bit awkward.

Do you agree with any of this Mike?
trumpetmonkey

Post by trumpetmonkey »

What made you go for it out of interest? I must say in retrospect I'd have gone for a Makita. I think the juddering problem I had was just cheap belts, but otherwise I'm not too happy now with the weight, the handle arrangement, and even the bench mount stand in retrospect is a bit of a hassle compared to just having a flat top so you can flip it over!
trumpetmonkey

Post by trumpetmonkey »

As a positive though dust extraction into the bag is very good, rams it full pretty quick!

Return to “Metabo”