Bosch GSB 18v Li drill review

Bosch power tool review in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Bosch GSB 18v Li drill review

Post by ultimatehandyman »

The Bosch GSB 18v Li is a cordless combi drill. The drill is lightweight and easy to use and the battery run time is excellent.
bd1.jpeg
bd1.jpeg (108.51 KiB) Viewed 16359 times
The batteries have a useful charge indicator which illuminates when you press the indicator button on the battery.
bosch-batt.jpeg
bosch-batt.jpeg (75.12 KiB) Viewed 16359 times
The built in LED work light is all but useless and rarely points exactly where you are drilling.
bd4.jpeg
bd4.jpeg (83.68 KiB) Viewed 16359 times
I have used this machine several times over the last few months and each time I am disappointed by it, which is a shame as the GBH 18V SDS+ is excellent and is probably one of the best 18v SDS machines on the market.

So what is the problem with the GSB 18v Li ?

The plastic chuck is useless and no matter how tight you turn it the bloomin thing will not grip the drill bits correctly. Before you start thinking I am limp wristed and can’t tighten the chuck correctly I must point out that I have never had this problem with any of my three Dewalt 18v drills or my Milwaukee 18v drill. Only yesterday I was drilling through a few pieces of metal on a machine and when I removed the drill the drill bit was stuck in the metal! Not only is this annoying and causes hours of lost time on jobs but it also damages the drill bit so that the next time you come to use them you can’t read the drill size as it has been damaged by the pathetic quality chuck on the machine.
bd5.jpeg
bd5.jpeg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 16359 times
The second problem emerged when I was drilling a large hole in some steel checker plate on the floor using a 2 inch hole saw, when the machine’s torque control selector kept slipping from the desired torque into the hammer action mode, this again adds time to the job and annoys you as I had to keep stopping to change the drills torque control selector back to the desired torque.

This drill is light weight, feels good to use and the battery lasts ages but it’s let down by the plastic chuck and torque control selector (this may be a fault on this machine only but the drill is only a few months old).
These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post (total 3):
big-allArgyllsteviejoiner74
Rating: 21.43%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Bosch GSB 18v Li drill review

Post by big-all »

great honest report keep up the good work :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning
fin

Post by fin »

pretty sure these are on special in screwfix. for like £90

what annoys me is when ya get a cordless and the bit falls out. i have a trend snappy quick chuck so if it drops out its a bit heavy and may damage floors and the like. some makita drills do this too. never had a problem with dewalt drills.
tuttiett
Newly registered Member

Post by tuttiett »

Have you tried taking it back to where you purchased it to try get a refund or exchange?
I have the exact same drill with no problems apart from when I tried drilling some really hard brick the percussion mode would vibrate so much it would move the torque control about. I put it down to c**p masonry bits. I don't drill much masonry with it but when I do it doesn't seem to have an issue when I use decent bits.
I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad time with this drill all my Bosch gear has served me well.
Luke.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

tuttiett wrote:Have you tried taking it back to where you purchased it to try get a refund or exchange?
I have the exact same drill with no problems apart from when I tried drilling some really hard brick the percussion mode would vibrate so much it would move the torque control about. I put it down to c**p masonry bits. I don't drill much masonry with it but when I do it doesn't seem to have an issue when I use decent bits.
I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad time with this drill all my Bosch gear has served me well.
Luke.

Thanks Luke,

It's not actually my drill, it's in the tool room at one of the sites where I work. I normally have my Milwaukee in my tool box but sometimes I use the site's drill (they have two of these)
Catflap
Newly registered Member

Post by Catflap »

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this review - was thinking of getting one of these - not now!
Bill Darr

Post by Bill Darr »

Don't be put off by that review - I have that drill in the brushless version and don't experience any of the problems mentioned.

I bought it as I know several tradesman that have them and all speak highly of the drill.
DmitriKara

Post by DmitriKara »

Catflap wrote:Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this review - was thinking of getting one of these - not now!
read all replies mate, maybe the tested unit had something wrong or out of the ordinary. for what I read it's being used by more than one handyman. I will keep this in mind
These users thanked the author DmitriKara for the post:
PONU
Rating: 7.14%
Dan Brown
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dan Brown »

Great review and you have summed it up better than i could have, i have been using this for a few months now and it is perfect! :D

Return to “Bosch”