Bosch PMF 180 E

Bosch power tool review in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

recently bought the battery version will review in good time
the point i am here for is i managed to get all 9 hard blades for £50 and i think thats a bargain if anyone is interested post on the other thread
bosch-180-and-progressor-blades-t19333.html#173166
we are all ------------------still learning
DaveC
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaveC »

Hi,

:help:

I am in the market for a oscillating Multi Tool and would like some advice on which tool to purchase.

1)Fein FMM250 Multimaster (Rather expensive)
2)Bosch GOP 10.8v Cordless (Battery Life? and Price)
3)Bosch PMF 180E All Rounder 3 In 1 Multi Tool

Number three is the one I am think of buying, firstly because of price and secondly I will only be using it seldomly and think the bateries may die with seldom use.

Can these tools cut galv. metal water pipes i.e. ½" and ¾", The adverts show them cutting nail and copper pipes?

Your response would be appreciated.

Regards
DaveC
Razor

Post by Razor »

I wouldn't use them for that the blades would just die :cb

You need a good reciprocating saw for that sort of material :wink:

BTW :welcome: Dave C

I use the Fein but I use it everyday if you don't then you probably have made the best choice already
DaveC
Newly registered Member

Post by DaveC »

Cheers Razor,

Just one more question, how deep can the PMF180E cut with the plunge blade. I ask this as I need to remove a wooden door frame without damaging it. The frame has been installed with Fisher S-R Frame type fixings. Would the tool do the job?

Regards
Dave
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

i have the bosch 10.8v progressor battery power is not a problem with lithiumion [li-on] as you can top up charge without dammage to the batteries
they are fully charged in around 45 mins or half charged in about 12mins so you can put a battery on charge as you arrive and within 15 mins you know you have the second battery between 60 and 100% charged as it wasnt flat when you put it away last week

i personaly would choose a recipricating saw for steel pipes as the bosch /fien blades are around £6 and would probaly wear out after several cuts

i have bothe the ryobi and dewalt 18v recip saw
polishingpeanuts
Newly registered Member

Re: Bosch PMF 180 E

Post by polishingpeanuts »

Wow,
Was searching for stuff about the PMF 180 E and hadn't realized that it had been around for so long!

I would agree with most that has been said, especially the bit about wearing out sanding backing pads easily.

Oh, and as regards price. Think yourselves lucky. I bought mine in Norway were they are on "offer" at the equivalent of £90........

I was happy with mine and even wrote about it on my blog polishingpeanuts.com

There seems to be a lot of deals with this machine and I wonder if it is slated to be discontinued?

I hope not as it is a fair machine for the money.
Cheers
merseygull

Post by merseygull »

I bought one yesterday, it's ideal for sawing away some architrave and some plaster coving that I need to trim... also it reminds me of the saws at work that I use to cut off plaster of paris and in the OR to cut bones!!

ATB,J.
dave.m
Deceased 07-06-2012 R.I.P

Post by dave.m »

Amazon selling at same price as in Jan 2008;

Bosch PMF 180 E

dave
You can always tell a Yorkshireman,
But you cannot tell him much.
polishingpeanuts
Newly registered Member

Post by polishingpeanuts »

I wonder you know, if the PMF 180 is cheap because its like a printer, ie, you buy the machine cheap and then the manufacturers make their profit on the replacement consumables.

The PMF 180 sure looks good value compared to the cost of a single blade or a new backing pad.

Just a thought and in no way taking any kudos away from the machine, I wouldn't want to be without mine now!
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

polishingpeanuts wrote:I wonder you know, if the PMF 180 is cheap because its like a printer, ie, you buy the machine cheap and then the manufacturers make their profit on the replacement consumables.

The PMF 180 sure looks good value compared to the cost of a single blade or a new backing pad.

Just a thought and in no way taking any kudos away from the machine, I wouldn't want to be without mine now!
this is why i only advise people to buy the multi set with many blades the extra 9 blades can add £90 'so even if you only use half the blades your no worse off
penwaun
Newly registered Member

Post by penwaun »

well i have had the bmf190 e for a month now and it as you know a very handy tool . but today used it to cut some door frame put it down to cut mark next piece and it wont work when swithed on its dead left it for hour to cool down; nothing so 5 hours later back to b@q for a replacement ,may be the first one was built on friday afternoon :scratch:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

did you check the fuse in the plug
try the variable speed at a different setting
try the machine in a known working socket
and another tool or lamp in the socket used :dunno:
penwaun
Newly registered Member

Post by penwaun »

many thanks checked all your suggestions no joy .replaced now on with the job :salute:
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re:

Post by Job and Knock »

DaveC wrote:1)Fein FMM250 Multimaster (Rather expensive)
2)Bosch GOP 10.8v Cordless (Battery Life? and Price)
3)Bosch PMF 180E All Rounder 3 In 1 Multi Tool

Can these tools cut galv. metal water pipes i.e. ½" and ¾", The adverts show them cutting nail and copper pipes?
Wrong tool, Dave, a hacksaw, a pipe slice and/or angle grinder would be the way to go.
DaveC wrote:Just one more question, how deep can the PMF180E cut with the plunge blade. I ask this as I need to remove a wooden door frame without damaging it. The frame has been installed with Fisher S-R Frame type fixings. Would the tool do the job?
Not really. These tools aren't suitable for that type of work - they have neither the depth of cut, nor the power. I'd tackle that job with a reciprocating saw or even a hacksaw blade with some rag wrapped round the end

Where these tools all excel is on small, really awkward tasks. For example, ever tried making a plunge cut into a plywood ceiling tight by an air con unit? The sort of cut you can't even get a jigsaw in for one side and where none of your hand saws are small enough? A multitool will do that cut. Ever tried to do a repair cut in already installed skirting to change a return wall mitre joibt into a return to floor one? Another tick in the multitool box.

I'm a long-time Fein user and I think over the years mine have paid for themselves many times over - even if they don't do what I thought they would when I bought them!
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Bosch”