Dewalt dcn660n Reviews

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

oz0707

Dewalt dcn660n Reviews

Post by oz0707 »

Further to a PM to j&k I am looking for brief reviews of the Dwealt dcn660n. Particularly in terms of reliability.

I have watched the hosts youtube video and I am a previous owner of the 1st generation gun. The return mechanism has packed up on my old one after many years service so decided it was time to buy new.

I think I will go for the set with 5ah batteries then can buy the first fix - body only as and when my gas gun packs up.

One negative seems to only be 1 year warranty hence the need to hear feedback on long term reliability.

Thanks in advance
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Dewalt dcn660n Reviews

Post by Job and Knock »

Probably too late, but maybe for the benefit of others I'll try to answer this query. First I'll state that I owned a DC616 (the first generation straight 16ga nailer) and that I still own a DC608 (first generation 18ga nailer) as well as having had the DCN660 for about 3 years now.

In terms of reliability the DCN660 has been pretty good. To date the only annoyance in terms of service has been that the bump firing periodically goes on the fritz and decides not to work. I think it's a contact issue (vibration?) but as yet I haven't managed to track it down. The biggest downside to the new nailer is that it won't sink decent length nails into hardwoods. Period. Tried it on oak, ash, maple, walnut and mahogany to date and it isn't reliable above about 44mm (or 32mm on mahogany). This is a serious problem for me because on finish work it isn't really acceptable to have to snip off the ends of nails and punch them under, so I'm now looking at either a Hitachi 16ga cordless nailer or possibly the soon to arrive 2nd generation Milwaukee 16ga tool (the 1st generation ones were/are dreadful). Fortunately I have until about Christmas to decide. I have the 2-speed DW 1st fix nailer (DCN692) and whilst it is heavy, it has been reliable, although Stevie_Joiner does tell me that they aren't as good at high volumes as a decent gas gun (e.g Senco GT90 or the older Passlode IM90) is, but against that Hitachi aready have a cordless 1st fix nailer (check Roger Bisby's comparitive review here) and Milwukee already have both 20°(full head) and 34° (clipped head) 1st fix nailers in the USA (not found a review, yet). This may not be what you want to hear, but it's where I'm coming from
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
oz0707 (Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Argyll

Dewalt dcn660n Reviews

Post by Argyll »

The biggest downside to the new nailer is that it won't sink decent length nails into hardwoods. Period.
Scott Brown Carpentry on YouTube reckons the Hitachi is better for sinking larger nails.
oz0707

Dewalt dcn660n Reviews

Post by oz0707 »

Well I bit the bullet and bought. Not really used it too much yet as been on first fix majority of them time. Not one to use bump firing really so hopefully wont effect me. Sold the old first generation one for around 80 quid so was pretty happy with that.

Apparently the Hikoki ones are a different method of cordless. Battery and onboard compressor creating the same effect as gas? That's what the kid on the phone said anyway.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Dewalt dcn660n Reviews

Post by Job and Knock »

oz0707 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:54 pmApparently the Hikoki ones are a different method of cordless. Battery and onboard compressor creating the same effect as gas? That's what the kid on the phone said anyway.
Yep, that's pretty much it.
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
oz0707 (Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Dewalt”