DW088CG purchase in U.K.

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

tylermonk
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DW088CG purchase in U.K.

Post by tylermonk »

Guys.... I need your help.

I'm a carpenter by trade, and am looking to buy my own laser level after relying on my workmates DW088K for some time.
Here lies my dilemma, the DW088K is widely recognised as the best laser on the market currently, and is my first choice when looking to buy a laser.
However I would much prefer DW088CG version of the same laser, which has the green beam instead of the DW088K's red beam.
The DW088K is sold at just about any and every respectable website and local store around. But the DW088CG on the other hand is nowhere to be seen on the UK market, no matter how many pages of Google search I go through I cannot find a single listing from a dealer in Britain.
Seems as though the only way to get one is buy from America and Sell a kidney to pay the import charge.
Does anyone know where these can be bought? It's driving me nuts.

Cheers guys
Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dewaltdisney

Re: DW088CG purchase in U.K.

Post by dewaltdisney »

I had a look on the German sites but it is the same story there. Is this one any use http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?opt ... medium=cpc bit pricey, and it might be worth buying the DW088CG from the States and paying the duty (if you get caught for it) If you buy it on Ebay you could get the customs forms marked up as a Gift

DWD
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

tylermonk wrote:.... the DW088K is widely recognised as the best laser on the market currently, and is my first choice when looking to buy a laser.
In deWalt's dreams, maybe. Are you a spammer from deWalt, then? With a comment like that...... (and no reviews to back it up) - the original shape DW lasers lacked a pendulum lock and went out of whack very easily not to mention being very prone to the glass getting broken as a result of no pendulum lock. They may or may not have fixed that, but it was way too late to keep me and many others as customers. TBH if you are going to shell out the extra on a green line laser it's probably more useful to go the whole hog and opt for a wider range mode (e.g. DW088LG) or a 360 degree model (e.g DW089LG - bit of a rip-off of the Bosch GLL3-80P which has been around 5+ years)
tylermonk wrote:But the DW088CG on the other hand is nowhere to be seen on the UK market, no matter how many pages of Google search I go through I cannot find a single listing from a dealer in Britain
It's a fairly new model on the UK market and is fairly pricey for what it is (a fairly basic cross-line laser, only in green). As DWD says Tool Stop are a good starting point, but I'd also ring ITS in London as they are generally an "early adopter" of new tools from DW, Bosch, Milwaukee, etc. It certainly isn't listed on the DW UK website - but that's no proof of anything
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

No way on earth is the dewalt dwo88k the best laser on the market :lol:
I've the Bosch gl3-80 and I've had it around 6 years and it's never let me down and is nice and accurate.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
tylermonk
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tylermonk »

Job and Knock wrote: In deWalt's dreams, maybe. Are you a spammer from deWalt, then? With a comment like that...... (and no reviews to back it up)
Woah come on man, wouldn't peddle for deWalt if I was paid, I run Makita as my tool choice, but that doesn't matter.

The reason I said widely recognised as the best is because if you put "best laser level uk" into google, the DW088k is at the top of most websites for its price, accuracy and performance.
I understand there are a plethora of lasers on the market, however I am looking into the DW088K for those reasons.
The price is rather important to me so do you have any suggestions for solid lasers in a similar price range?
The issue I have with the other deWalt lasers such as the DW088LG is they require a deWalt battery. With me running Makita I don't fancy investing in a battery and charger for sole use with a laser level.

Thanks for the replies guys

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

tylermonk wrote:The reason I said widely recognised as the best is because if you put "best laser level uk" into google, the DW088k is at the top of most websites for its price, accuracy and performance.
Price, maybe, but accuracy and performance? You've got to remember that Google is primarily a selling tool - the searches come at the cost of Google imposing it's thoughts on you based on your search history...... And sorry, but anyone who's ever had a DW crossline and then moved on will proibably tell you that there are many other better lasers out there. Want a better basic green crossline (i.e. better made, finer line, more laser capable service centres) then look at Leica. But they are a bit more expensive.
tylermonk wrote:The issue I have with the other deWalt lasers such as the DW088LG is they require a deWalt battery. With me running Makita I don't fancy investing in a battery and charger for sole use with a laser level.
That I can understand. I've had a Bosch GLL3-80P for 5+ years now and it's beginning to show its' age (mainly the thread in the bottom is worn and the battery contacts are showing signs of corrosion - common faults in a heavily used laser) so the choice is between a refurb of the GLL or a replacement model. The equivalent DW is an interesting option because the green line really is more visible than red in better lit situations - but it still isn't visible in full bright daylight (recent experience with the 3-way green DWs from oour dry lining teams). As to the batteries, a lot of guys have gone DW for 1st and/or 2nd fix nailers (I'm one of them) so the charger isn't an issue, even though the rest of my cordless kit is Makita, and the plus point iof a separete externak battery system is that you aren't forever buying AA cells together with the contacts being self-cleaning as a result of using lide-on batteries (which self-clean contacts). The thing I personally have difficulty with is the poor impression that my original DW087K left me with (and subsequent encounters with them have confirmed my original impressions)
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Dewalt”