flexvolt

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Ferny1
Newly registered Member

flexvolt

Post by Ferny1 »

Hi

Has anyone got any reviews on Flexvolt tools yet
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: flexvolt

Post by big-all »

i think its too new to get a meaningful view
you need many many hours off hard trade use over several months and years to iron out the gremlins :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

You'll be lucky. As B-A says only just introduced (see how many retailers you can find selling it) and very few tools out there. Try again in 3 to 6 months for a realistic view
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Seen a guy on Facebook(toolstop or toolstation page) totally pan the table saw,it ripped a measly 7m of 4x2 cls before the battery died.....tbh I think you need your head looking at buying a cordless table saw unless you are maybe a window fitter who is only ripping 12/18mm ply and general finishings.

I've used the circular saw briefly and it's impressive,bags of power but it's expensive.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

One for B-A?

Post by Job and Knock »

Had the chance to take a look at a Flexvolt plunge/rail saw for 5 minutes, today. Model DCS520T2 (photo from elsewhere on the web):
deWalt DCS520T2 Flexvolt plunge rail saw.jpg
deWalt DCS520T2 Flexvolt plunge rail saw.jpg (166.6 KiB) Viewed 10831 times
Pretty much the same as the old style 18 volt models with the exception of that girt great battery pack. Doesn't seem any different weight wise than the old 28 volt model. Just like the original model this one runs on either dw or Festool-compatible rails (so Makita, Hilti, Metabo, etc). Became available on Amazon UK a few days ago, but at a heck of a price (£800) :shock:

There is a new 12in doubdle bevel sliding compound saw in the USA, too, model DHS790AT2 which is already on sale on Amazon USA:
deWalt DHS790AT2 FlexVolt-Mitre Saw Kit.jpg
deWalt DHS790AT2 FlexVolt-Mitre Saw Kit.jpg (132.91 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
It is basically very similar to the DWS780 corded saw and comes with a charger, two FlexVolt batteries and "an adapter that allows it to be powered from any typical AC outlet" (presumably meaning that us trade types might be able to run it off a 110 volt supply). That piece of kit could make it possible to run FlexVolt tools in corded/cordless depending on power availability, especially as FlexVolt batteries are purportedly capable of sustaining short bursts of output of 1700 watts. Interesting!

Better start saving up, B-A! :lol:
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
big-all
Rating: 7.14%

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

if i had the room and £800 i would be looking at a radial arm saw as they are so flexable :thumbright:
as for the plunge saw i have the origional version that takes the old nicad/nmh/li-ion batteries and with 2 tracks cost me £200 +vat [then 17.5%]£100 for the saw and £100 for 2 tracks yes it chugs along but does the job
and 1700w whilst quite a lot is just a little bit more than the say 480w x3= 1440w that some tools draw from the 18v batteries seeing as the 18/54v battery is basically 3x18v groups[5x3.6v cells]in parallel to give 18v x 6ah or in series to give 54v x 2ah
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I see Milwaukee have just released the 18v 9ah batteries in the uk. Things are moving at an alarming rate on the cordless front just now.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
big-all
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

steviejoiner74 wrote:I see Milwaukee have just released the 18v 9ah batteries in the uk. Things are moving at an alarming rate on the cordless front just now.
i think once you get to around 4 or 5ah you start to find its a compromise over flexibility physical size cost per "AH"and possible overheating issues
other points
3x5ah would probably give you more run time than 2x9ah because you will have one battery on charge
a tool designed to take a 9ah battery may be less compact as it has to allow for the larger battery pack size and allow full operation thats assuming a 9ah battery is a larger pack size than a say 5ah pack
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I don't think it matters so much on circular saws,reciprocating saws. They are generally pretty heavy anyway if corded.
Cordless drills is where a really large battery pack can have its drawbacks regarding weight.
I'm currently running 18v 4ah batteries and after 3 years pretty much daily use I'm expecting them to pack in but I think I'll probably see what deal is to be had on a new tool with 5ah batteries supplied.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

the funny thing is with ryobi batteries the 1.5/1.7/2ah nicads where all heavier than the 2.4ah li-ions
but the most amazing off all is the 4ah li-ions where the lightest off all even lighter than the 2.4ah li-ions
old thread about it here
new-ryobi-4ah-battery-a-comparason-t66517.html
so maybe weight issues with lithium batteries is a thing off the past when connected to the more compact lighter brushless motors :dunno:
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

steviejoiner74 wrote:I see Milwaukee have just released the 18v 9ah batteries in the uk.
I'm told the difference is supposed to be that with 18 volt 9Ah your theoretical maximum power without overheating is about 1000 watts *as opposed to over 1700 watts on 54 volts). The issue is one of current - lower voltages require thicker cables and heavier contacts to allow the same amount of current that you will get with the higher voltages. DW must be convinced in view of the amount of fairly heavy stuff they are rolling out over the coming months

big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

suspects its the contacts ability to pass the current rather than the cable
as i said the maximum on a 18v battery group with dewalt is low 400w so with 3 groups that would be 1200-1300w

wow this one is rated at 820w :shock: :shock:
thats double any other i have seen :dunno:
thats 45 amps :shock:
http://products.dewalt.co.uk/powertools ... /DCD991P2/
dixiedean
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dixiedean »

I've got the tablesaw, and after having the bosch gts10j I'm really happy with it, the fence is an absolute dream to use and very precise, the ability to set up absolutely anywhere is great aswell, batteries do not last that long but if u have 2 you will always have one available whilst charging the other so thats not an issue to me
i want a mitresaw in this range now
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

dixiedean wrote:I've got the tablesaw, and after having the bosch gts10j I'm really happy with it, the fence is an absolute dream to use and very precise, the ability to set up absolutely anywhere is great aswell, batteries do not last that long but if u have 2 you will always have one available whilst charging the other so thats not an issue to me
What are you running mate,the 6 or 9ah batteries?
The latest/newest mitre saw is going to be available in the uk in a few months apparently.
dixiedean
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dixiedean »

steviejoiner74 wrote:
dixiedean wrote:I've got the tablesaw, and after having the bosch gts10j I'm really happy with it, the fence is an absolute dream to use and very precise, the ability to set up absolutely anywhere is great aswell, batteries do not last that long but if u have 2 you will always have one available whilst charging the other so thats not an issue to me
What are you running mate,the 6 or 9ah batteries?
The latest/newest mitre saw is going to be available in the uk in a few months apparently.
the 6ah ones

Return to “Dewalt”