Dewalt DCN690 First fix gun

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Handyman in Sussex

Re: Dewalt DCN690 First fix gun

Post by Handyman in Sussex »

You were right Fin, I've just got it back and they have changed the return springs. They put the old ones in the box and they're not broken or anything, so they must have just been worn perhaps........ :dunno:
Fencerben
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fencerben »

Had mine a couple of years had ups and downs with it had a small elecrical fault in the back if you take the rear of the gun off there are 2 electrical connectors just needed squeezing on a bit tighter also the newest problem is the gun will only fire at certain angles determined this was the firing pin was twisted just heated it up over gas hob and twisted it back with pliers and adjustable hope this helps
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I have not had any problems at all with mine, but I am not using it every day.

A builder that I know was sick of his Paslode not working in the cold, so he ditched it and bought the DCN690. The last time I spoke to him he loved it and said it was better then the Paslode because of the problems with them in cold weather and the expense of the gas.

I'm just playing with a Tacwise Ranger 2 (angled finish nailer) at the moment and that has two spare sets of bungee cords in the kit, which are an absolute doddle to change. These are classed as a part that will wear out and need replacing so the gun has been designed so that the owner can easily change them without having to send the gun to a service centre!

Hopefully if there are reliability problems with the DCN690 they will be ironed out quickly, but I'm not impressed that Dewalt have not been more willing to fix any problems free of charge!
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

That Tacwise looks like a plagerised copy of the deWalt cordless 2nd fix guns - even down to using a return bungee
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

it looks exactly the same. i wonder if you can attach a dewalt battery to it?

mine went all funny about a year or so back. maybe 18 months. my mate took it to the dewalt service centre near here but they wouldnt touch it. i had no proof of purchase so they wouldnt take it in. but they said it could be electrical as it was flashing both lights at the same time.

i emailed dewalt and they arranged for it to be picked up and repaired foc and sent back to me. i was unsure what was replaced as nothing was in the box. just the tag with repaired and cleaned ticked off on it. since then i used it in conjunction with my makita nailer on a big flat roof job. we went through a fair old amount of nails on that job. but that was over a year ago now. and since then for any framing work or whatever my makita has came out. next framing job ill probably crack the dcn690 out on it just to mix stuff up a little like
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

fin wrote:it looks exactly the same. i wonder if you can attach a dewalt battery to it?
Dunno about that, but I've modded mine to better batteries :-)
IMG_9200.jpg
IMG_9200.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
These users thanked the author darrenba for the post (total 2):
ultimatehandymanJob and Knock
Rating: 14.29%
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

The battery connections on the Tacwise are much different to the Dewalt.

I'm sure that many of these machines are made by the same company, just with minor modifications and branding.

There must be a market for a battery convertor, which would enable you to use one brand of batteries with another brand of powertool.

If I'm really stuck I often get a similar voltage battery and then make a couple of fly leads to connect from another brand battery to the machine and tape it to the machine with insulation tape.

Old batteries used to be simple and had a + and - connections on them. Then all of a sudden instead of two pins there were 4,5 or 6 pins but if you disassemble the machine or the battery it's common to find that only two pins are actually used + and - :wink:
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

That's what I found when I made my makita/dewalt converter, only the + & - are used for the nail gun so was a breeze to put together.

Return to “Dewalt”