Dewalt DCN690 First fix gun

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

steviejoiner74

Re: Dewalt DCN690 First fix gun

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I've used champion 2nd fix nails and gas,only a few quid cheaper than paslode and the gas didn't work at all,it was returned and replaced and the gas still didn't work. The guy in the merchant said it must be my gun so I stuck a paslode gas in the gun and it fired no bother. I've always used paslode 2nd fix stuff since then.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
fin

Post by fin »

same happened to me with hitachi gas. when i ordered my gun off its.co.uk i ordered a box of hitachi nails. npwt. wouldnt attempt to fire. so i rang its up. they sent another gun. that was the same. so i rang em again and they were ok we will send another gun. then i discovered it was the gas.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Must say I'm surprised to hear about this gun not firing. If I were to get a nail gun, I'd have gone straight for this one.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

The fact that nearly no joiners i know off using a gun day in day out and using several thousand nails a week use dewalts tells its own story. Paslode are no where near perfect but the dewalt seems to fall short regarding day in day out usage.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

steviejoiner74 wrote:The fact that nearly no joiners i know off using a gun day in day out and using several thousand nails a week use dewalts tells its own story. Paslode are no where near perfect but the dewalt seems to fall short regarding day in day out usage.
That's a shame. The review Chez did made it seem really nice. Hopefully DeWalt can make their next model more reliable.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I'm not saying it's not a nice gun,I've seen one in action and it worked great. The guy that had it had only fired a few thousand nails in over the course of a year tho. The component that's under most vulnerability is basicaly not guarenteed by dewalt tho after a few boxes of nails are fired in. It's a huge market and hopefully one of the tool manufacturers can come up with a really reliable tool.
Handyman in Sussex

Post by Handyman in Sussex »

steviejoiner74 wrote:I was thinking of getting one of these as my paslode is forever needing parts and maintenance. However the dewalts appear not much better and if anything harder to fix. The paslodes are at least a doddle to fix.
DON'T Get one Stevie, you will end up regretting that decision like I do now, I wish I'd stuck with my instincts and got the latest Paslode.....
fin

Post by fin »

what sort of problems are you having with it? mines been fine apart from when it had the cheap nails thing i mentioned before.
Handyman in Sussex

The problems described in the first post Fin, it will fire one nail then just go click for the next. The pin gets stuck forward and the only way to release it is to pull back the spring loaded nail retainer button and physically shake the nails out of the rack (they don't just drop out when this happens). It's even worse when there's only 5-10 nails left because I have to get them out with a screwdriver because you can't see the whole strip of nails, well handy on a roof..... Once the strip is away from the pin, the pin clicks back in and you can fire another nail. Then it jams and I have to do it all over again. It won't switch from bump to single without being forced beyond it's plastic strength and you need to be Geoff Capes to get the rafter hook out. It's being picked up today under warranty.... just (2 weeks luckily), and warranty repairs are not unusual according to my supplier, nor when you Google this gun. All I can see in search results for it is sellers and bad reviews on sellers websites. A lot are to do with the firing pin breaking and not being under warranty, others have had repairs fixed under warranty but not happy with how quick it breaks, no one has had it problem free with daily industrial use and is singing its praises. I've always had Passy's and yes they can be finnicky but we can always get them going, I wish I'd stuck with them. The gas issue isn't really a big deal and they're considerably lighter (I do notice that when using them all day).
Ho hum, lets see what happens when it comes back..... Money back would be nice and buy a Passy but I don't think that will happen somehow.
fin

Post by fin »

ooo unlucky.. yea mine had the bump-single fire button being impossible to move but i just left it.

it sounds exactly like what happened to my gun that. with it fireing a nail and jaming up. when mine did it the nail would only be half fired into the timber. i assumed a bit of plastic had gone into it as it made the motor sound well strange. kinda the same as it does when a nail gets missfired inside it,.

mine will also be out of warranty soon. actually.... if its only got a year warrant it will be well out
Handyman in Sussex

I remember when the Paslode's first came out, I was working for my old man's fencing business at the time, and the rep came to meet us with these cordless nail guns to try... We were all using compressor run guns at the time. We were doing a section of the Channel Tunnel rail link noise barrier and because of the fence posts being at 3M bays the rails were Iroko to reduce any flexing. Poor old Passy rep....! Not really the place to test out his new guns, they just bounced off it time and again and the nails wouldn't drive in. Of course we all sent him packing and thought what a gimmick! Now look at them years later!! Hopefully DW will get this gun right and I'm sure they will, but the same problems seem to be showing up on each gun after 12 months use and that's not good if you own one..... At nearly £550 I should have stuck with what I know. Is there any chance of money back against Dewalt for selling something with a common fault?
Because I can see me being in the same place next year and sending it back again, just hopefully it'll be in time for the warranty again, (If they give me another year) Does anyone know if I'll get another year start from when it comes back?
fin

Post by fin »

i thought dewalt were giving stuff 3 years warranty now. in anyway any power tool from one of the better manufacturers should last a lot longer than 12 months. pretty much regardless. aslong as its not abused or misused. if ya go with the intention of killing a tool then your not gonna give up until you have. if ya go with the intention of using it to earn a living it should do as it says for a good few years. in my opinion that is.
Handyman in Sussex

That's right Fin, and that's why I'm disappointed with this investment, I'll check the 3 year warranty out.
My supplier tried to wriggle because I actually placed the order on the 17th April 2013 and so they said it had run out when I called on the 27th April 2014, however I didn't receive it until the 17th May 2014 and have the dated invoice to prove it and so they have honoured the warranty. That's why I think it only has 1 year warranty. I think until something has been on the market for a while they probably keep to 1 year until it has been fully tested in daily use.
It's my own fault really, I should have either waited until they've been out for 5 years or so and fixed all the glitches or stuck with what's proven to be good and not been a guinea pig for the latest new thing!
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

The dewalt nailer,like the paslode has a warranty which basically doesn't cover the most used component...the firing pin.
Handyman in Sussex

Not worth the paper it's written on then..... Are they allowed to do that?
Surely they should be made to say so in bold capitals somewhere clearly before you buy?
That's like a car manufacturer not covering the gearbox or clutch or engine or whatever in a car warranty......
Or a cordless drill co. not covering the electric motor....
Surely a warranty has to cover the whole thing you are selling?
I know Paslode have conditions, like you have to use their nails which is fair enough, but to not cover certain parts is basically saying "we can't guarantee this machine will work for more than a year", and from Dewalt that's pants

Return to “Dewalt”