DW5520 plunge saw & rail 240v

Dewalt power tool reviews in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

zedhead

Re: DW5520 plunge saw & rail 240v

Post by zedhead »

fin wrote:i bought myself a ts55 about 6 months back. use it loads. one thing i did was got a sheet of mdf. cut it to something like 700 or wide and 1800mm long. biscuited 3x1 to the edge to make a table. then i got some trestles and i have a decent height table for stuff. especially handy for kitchens. i can do worktop cut outs on it. trim everything to length and all that. it goes through door ways fine and it saves me getting bad knees.

i pinched that idea off speed.

ive never tried the ptfe spray thing,. how often do ya gotta put it on? does it go on router cutters too? how long does one sprays worth last?
I seem to do a lot of work with 8x4 sheets so use a 2200x120mm sheet of 100mm celotex for cutting on these days (know what you mean about the knees though) Another thing the plunge saw is great for is trimming door bottoms in place, (i do a bit of flooring as well) I did four doors in about 20 mins today, that would have taken me over an hour minimum before.
Baza
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

zedhead wrote:
big-all wrote:better late than never :huray:

where do you get your track rubbers and how much where they :thumbright:
cing
I got the rubbers from Goodwins in Margate, Kent, I cant remember the price but £17.99 rings a bell.
May be worth looking at the Makita rubbers from Axminster which work out at around £6.05 for 3 metres. Don't know if they fit the DW rails, but they certainly fit Festool and Hilti rails
zedhead wrote:I have been considering buying a new rail complete as the original needs both replacing and I am sure the centre is worn now, but it has done a lot of work and I would keep the old one for rough work.
Does the DW plunger have adjusters on the guide rail followers like the Fes and Makita have? BTW I use a generic PTFE spray on my guide rail (£3.18 from ToolStation) - but I keep it away from the rubbers just in case
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

yes it has adjustment and kickback protection
i also use the toolstation spray and have several tins as padding to make up a £10 order :lol: :lol:
thanks will try the axminster rubber edging and let you know how it works :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning
zedhead

Post by zedhead »

Job and Knock wrote:
zedhead wrote:
big-all wrote:better late than never :huray:

where do you get your track rubbers and how much where they :thumbright:
cing
I got the rubbers from Goodwins in Margate, Kent, I cant remember the price but £17.99 rings a bell.
May be worth looking at the Makita rubbers from Axminster which work out at around £6.05 for 3 metres. Don't know if they fit the DW rails, but they certainly fit Festool and Hilti rails
zedhead wrote:I have been considering buying a new rail complete as the original needs both replacing and I am sure the centre is worn now, but it has done a lot of work and I would keep the old one for rough work.
Does the DW plunger have adjusters on the guide rail followers like the Fes and Makita have? BTW I use a generic PTFE spray on my guide rail (£3.18 from ToolStation) - but I keep it away from the rubbers just in case
The Makita rubbers sound interesting. can you take a rough measirment of them please J and K, My rail has uneven wear on it, tight at the ends loose in the middle, if you know what I mean, only slightly but enough to be a bit out ... still acceptable but it ain't gonna get any better.
I have never used the ptfe spray, will give that a go as well.
Cheers lads
Baza
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

zedhead wrote:The Makita rubbers sound interesting. can you take a rough measirment of them please J and K,
Sorry for the delay - they are approx 18 x 2mm (maybe a tad thicker)
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
zedhead
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
zedhead

Post by zedhead »

thank you, I will measure mine later..
Baza

Return to “Dewalt”