can a man hole be inside a property?

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

glassescase

Post by glassescase »

looking at buying a bungalow.
It has a septic tank or cesspit.
There is a garage, behind it is the fuel oil tank and manhole cover that I assume is for the drain to the septic tank or cesspit and then behind the area where the drain cover is is a workshop. This whole set up has one roof but no walls where the fuel tank and man hole are. Between bungalow and garage is a "conservatory" Ignoring the fuel tank, can the manhole be inside?
I want to use the garage as a dining room, area where drain cover is as wardrobe and bathroom and workshop as bedroom.

thank you

glassescase
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, they are a special type though so you need to check. Here is an example to give you an idea. https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/manhole- ... m-p-T11G3/

DWD
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

I'd be very cautious of that. The septic tank produces methane gases and could be explosive in a confined area. The tank should be vented (of course) but I'd consider it a big risk to have such an access inside a habitable area - not even sure it would be legal.... not my area.
Don't take it personally......
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I thought all septic tanks had to be vented? I must admit the room sealed drain covers I have see have all been over conventional drains.

DWD
glassescase

Post by glassescase »

turns out it is a cesspool and we have decided not to have the manhole inside the accommodation area.
Venting should not be a problem, it is not sealed and probably leaks any gases like a sieve via the "railway sleepers" on the top.

thank you for the advice

glassescase
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

You are brave, cesspit and fuel tank; I have a cesspit in an overseas property, it has a cement cover and vent pipe 2mtr in height; when there is a lot of toilet activity; guests etc, the capacity is insufficient (the ground is not so porous) and it will overflow from around the cover, we have to call the tanker.
I have just seen your other topic, my cesspit only receives the toilet water not basins or shower it is half way to a septic in that there are exit holes to the surrounding ground, so it does not hold the liquids totally and is still a concern; I think there are guides as to how large a capacity you need per person for a typical cesspit arrangement, something like 18,000ltrs for 2 people habitat. (3x3x3mtrs) and needs emptying every 1.5 months.
glassescase

Post by glassescase »

aeromech3 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:36 pm You are brave, cesspit and <span class="skimwords-potential">fuel tank</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span>; I have a cesspit in an overseas property, it has a cement cover and vent pipe 2mtr in height; when there is a lot of toilet activity; guests etc, the capacity is insufficient (the ground is not so porous) and it will overflow from around the cover, we have to call the tanker.
I have just seen your other topic, my cesspit only receives the toilet water not basins or shower it is half way to a septic in that there are exit holes to the surrounding ground, so it does not hold the liquids totally and is still a concern; I think there are guides as to how large a capacity you need per person for a typical cesspit arrangement, something like 18,000ltrs for 2 people habitat. (3x3x3mtrs) and needs emptying every 1.5 months.
we may go to the expense of a treatment plant. cesspool, cesspit and septic tank definitions vary depending on where you look. These treatment plants are one up from a system that has one chamber that lets fluid soak into the soil. We will have to see how the money goes

glassescase

Return to “Building Forum”