All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Gusket
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Concrete fence post removal set in concrete driveway

Post by Gusket »

Hi,
My garden fence is old and rotten so I want to change it. However the concrete posts appear to have been built in situ so I can only fit new supports in using arris rail brackets. I would prefer not to use arris rail as I want to use horizontal cladding rather than feather board, also the post closest to the wall probably wouldn’t allow space for the bracket (see picture).

Therefore I would like advice on removing the posts completely and installing new wooden posts with bolt down holders.

Digging them out doesn’t seem to be an option as they are set in concrete as part of the driveway, so it could turn into a massive job. Could I cut them down at the base? If so, what would be the best tools/approach?

As for bold down holders, I would have to use flush holders to run along the driveway concrete, will these be strong enough? Any recommendations on fixings and length would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance provided! Please note I am a novice DIYer (Sorry the pictures seem to be sideways!)
Attachments
1D7DC8D3-675E-494C-91DE-CE5A36DC02C0.jpeg
1D7DC8D3-675E-494C-91DE-CE5A36DC02C0.jpeg (434.6 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
7711BD54-57A4-4213-9BC5-4B998DE9DAAC.jpeg
7711BD54-57A4-4213-9BC5-4B998DE9DAAC.jpeg (551.19 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
56F9A656-911F-40F9-9CD7-7B83D2891181.jpeg
56F9A656-911F-40F9-9CD7-7B83D2891181.jpeg (433.43 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
B046EFFD-8E07-4515-9B0B-993E634FBDAD.jpeg
B046EFFD-8E07-4515-9B0B-993E634FBDAD.jpeg (497.83 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You can chop it out, hard work, but you need a breaker. Buy one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278 ... 240v/97533 I used mine for a similar job as your post recently.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Gusket (Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

If you use "met posts" Image What will you bolt them down to?

Your drive is block paving, they will pull up with the weight if you fix the above, along with a fence.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Gusket
Newly registered Member

Post by Gusket »

dewaltdisney wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:44 pm You can chop it out, hard work, but you need a breaker. Buy one of these <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">titan-ttb278sds-6-3kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-9-piece-accessory-kit-230-240v/97533</span> I used mine for a similar job as your post recently.

DWD
Do you think the posts will have reinforcement rods in them? If, do I just break the concrete off around and cut with a hacksaw?
someone-else wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 pm If you use "met posts" Image What will you bolt them down to?

Your drive is block paving, they will pull up with the weight if you fix the above, along with a fence.
Sorry, it may be hard to see from the pictures I have posted but there is about 100mm of concrete all around where the fence currently sits (at the edge of the block paving), which the concrete posts are currently set in.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes they do. There are usually four 6mm rods, one within each edge. You can cut them easier with an angle grinder. Hit the post with a club hammer and the concrete will break away giving access to the rods. That is above the ground. It may give you better access to chop it out with the top part removed. You only need to break out one side of the concrete ring around the post to allow the old post out and a new post in. Work out the easiest side to break.

DWD
Gusket
Newly registered Member

Post by Gusket »

Thanks DWD.

I wasn’t actually intending to put the new posts in the same position as the old posts (except for the corners), which is why I was reluctant to dig them out.

If I follow your suggestion, would it work to break off the concrete on the post to expose the rods, then cut them to be level with the ground?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Oh I see, so you just want the old posts chopped off at ground level to allow a new post run? If this is so, then break out the old posts near the ground level with a club hammer. This is reasonably easy. Cut the rebars, an angle grinder is easiest, and get it all nice and level. Use the broken concrete bits as hardcore for the new posts. It helps to hold them in position while you add the postcrete. It is always bloody hard work doing posts and it is best if you have someone help, not so easy these days. Think about that SDS drill, it is very popular and useful for lots of jobs where you need some grunt.

Lets us know how it goes. :thumbright:

DWD

Return to “Building Forum”