Moderator: Moderators

Grich
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice on changing conservatory to tiled

Post by Grich »

Hiya,

I'm looking at getting some advice, I'm in the process of buying a new house and would like to change the pvc roof on the conservatory to a tiled one with some velux windows put in. And the wall between the conservatory taken out making it one room and then install a kitchen diner.

I'm not very savy when it comes to building work! I've had a couple of builders come back to me so far, one of which says he can put a new roof on without building the existing conservatory down as he believes it should hold the weight. And has quoted 13k for this work to be completed (this doesn't include the cost of a new kitchen and installation). The other builder has advised he will need to pull the conservatory down and build it up from scatch and redig the footings etc. The quote has come as 50k-60k.

So I guess my question is, if the conservatory was built in 2013 will the footings be deep enough to hold the weight of a tiled roof without having to start all again and costing a small fortune? I've attached a photo of the inside of the conservatory and an outside view if that helps.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers
Attachments
Outside view.JPG
Outside view.JPG (149.81 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Conservatory 1.JPG
Conservatory 1.JPG (86.2 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
etaf

Post by etaf »

you can get some very light weight tiles for conservatories , I know anglian did this last year for a friend - expensive £20K
We have also had discussions with a local window company who have replaced all our doors and windows and was about £17K
I had samples of these tiles and they are very lightweight
I think she had a choice of 3 colours only
https://www.anglianhome.co.uk/conservat ... ng-options
Simple DIYer
Wayne
Grich
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grich »

Thank you for the quick reply.

That's very interesting as I'd not thought to speak to local glazers for a quote, I'll be doing that this afternoon. I don't really want to have the footings dug etc if I can help it, so a lightweight one will be a good idea. Assuming you still get the same level of insulation from them?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

You may also find that you will need planning permission, best to contact your council building control for advice.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

And be careful if you go down that route. Are there doors that separate this conservatory area from the main house? If it is open plan to the house then you will have to bring the levels of insulation etc to meet the building regulation standard and this could push you down a path you do not want to go down. In an ideal world the best solution is to have a proper extension but that will be both disruptive and expensive with no perceived gain in space. There are a lot of firms out there doing conservatory lightweight re-roofs as sadly conservatories are becoming a bit of a no no these days. They are either too hot or too cold and folk get a bit sick of them.

My advice is shop around and get a good feel for what is on offer. There are certainly a lot of chancers jumped on the light roof wagon.

DWD
fin

Post by fin »

ya f*ck anglian know how to charge.....

i just priced up a conservatory job. it was under £4500 and that ws light weight roof covering over existing conservatory roof, insulate inside, board and skim and add a light.

or

remove the conservatory roof and add a flat roof with specific conservatory type velux windows (i asked a roofer mate so he was doing the work i was doing joinery throughout the house)

20 Fuc$ing grand i need to up my prices haha
fin

Post by fin »

ohh and you would absolutely need to go the light weight roof way to keep the existing conservatory. does make a big difference to how the room is especially in summer months

Return to “Building Forum”