Axminster Rider vs. Quangsheng planes

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Fancy_Dan
Newly registered Member

Axminster Rider vs. Quangsheng planes

Post by Fancy_Dan »

Recently I’ve had the chance to try out some Quangsheng and Axminster Rider planes. These planes cost about the same (i.e. both are about half the price of Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or Clifton). If you use hand planes a fair bit, like me you’ve probably read bold claims by Quangsheng and Axminster Rider about their high quality. Well, one of them is lying!

I took a punt on a Quangsheng smoother and what a beauty it was. It barely needed a tickle to flatten the sole and the blade’s 01 steel has been a doddle to hone. It takes a keen edge that seems to last well. It feels beautifully made and there’s hardly any backlash on the blade adjuster. Even if I could afford it, I can’t see what more you’d get from a Lie-Nielsen; perhaps a 100% flat sole out-of-the-box, but that’s it.

In contrast, I tried a Rider jack plane last time I was in Axminster. What a bag of shite! The mouth adjuster didn’t work. I don’t mean it worked badly. I mean it didn’t work full stop. The blade adjuster was rubbish: almost impossible to turn. Perhaps it was an unusually bad example, but whoever does qualy control for Rider planes needs shooting. Even if the adjusters had actually worked, the build quality felt way below Quangsheng.

I’ve no association with Quangsheng or Workshop Heaven, but that’s where I’d go for a quality plane.
These users thanked the author Fancy_Dan for the post (total 2):
big-allJob and Knock
Rating: 14.29%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Axminster Rider vs. Quangsheng planes

Post by big-all »

Fancy_Dan wrote:Recently I’ve had the chance to try out some Quangsheng and Axminster Rider planes. These planes cost about the same (i.e. both are about half the price of Veritas, Lie-Nielsen or Clifton). If you use hand planes a fair bit, like me you’ve probably read bold claims by Quangsheng and Axminster Rider about their high quality. Well, one of them is lying!

I took a punt on a Quangsheng smoother and what a beauty it was. It barely needed a tickle to flatten the sole and the blade’s 01 steel has been a doddle to hone. It takes a keen edge that seems to last well. It feels beautifully made and there’s hardly any backlash on the blade adjuster. Even if I could afford it, I can’t see what more you’d get from a Lie-Nielsen; perhaps a 100% flat sole out-of-the-box, but that’s it.

In contrast, I tried a Rider jack plane last time I was in Axminster. What a bag of shite! The mouth adjuster didn’t work. I don’t mean it worked badly. I mean it didn’t work full stop. The blade adjuster was rubbish: almost impossible to turn. Perhaps it was an unusually bad example, but whoever does qualy control for Rider planes needs shooting. Even if the adjusters had actually worked, the build quality felt way below Quangsheng.

I’ve no association with Quangsheng or Workshop Heaven, but that’s where I’d go for a quality plane.
thanks for a good and honest review it help us all make a well informed choice :thumbright:
we are all ------------------still learning
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Fancy_Dan wrote:... the blade’s 01 steel has been a doddle to hone.
The blades are actually T10 steel, not O1. A minor point as the two steels are very, very similar
Fancy_Dan wrote:Even if I could afford it, I can’t see what more you’d get from a Lie-Nielsen; perhaps a 100% flat sole out-of-the-box, but that’s it.
Actually the L-N planes are flatter, there is less backlash and there are less "rough edges" than on the QS planes. The same is true for both Veritas and Clifton products. As far as the blades go I have had to flatten the backs of several QS plane ironss, although not much, and the QS irons certainly need honing before use whereas the "top three" brands tools come "ready to work". But I agree - as a working tool it's dubious that it's worth that much more for so little extra. To me, at least. For anyone who has only ever used Silverline or Anant planes moving up to a QS plane is like stepping out of an old Lada and into a new BMW - the difference is that marked. Nice to see the comparison with Rider - especially as Axminster has made big claims for the updated range

For anyone interested Quangsheng Luban planes are also sold in the UK by Rutlands (who spell the name "Qiangsheng"), as Juuma planes by Dieter Schmid in Germany (link is to the block planes, but they sell other QS-made planes as well - take a look round the rest of their site, very interesting) and also slightly higher spec versions are sold under the name "Wood River" by Wood Workers Workshop (Peter Sefton) in the UK (the brand is owned by US chain Woodcraft). Just put that in to show that there are more sources out there on the UK market. Incidentally there may be detail differences between different suppliers products, for example the "Wood River" planes generally have a few minor improvements (e.g. knuckle lever cap on some block planes) and are to a slightly higher spec. than the Quangsheng models. In use it makes little difference. I have several of these QS/Woiiod River planes and they are excellent products, despite being Chinese - as I've said on this site a number of times in the past

Just to prove how anally retentive I can be I hasppen to know that the firm's long name is "Cixi City Qiangsheng Tools Co., Ltd" and they use "Luban" as their brand name.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

obv this is an old thread like. however it is probably quite suitable.

im after a new block plane. ive got a stanley standard block plane. its crap, ive got a faithfull low angle block plane but ive left it at a lasses house after i did some doors and she tried it on and shes not the pretiest so i scarpered and now im scared to go and get it back :lol: :lol: :lol: i also left a combi square and a auger bit haha

ive also got an old block plane but its dropping to bits really and the iron is canny worn. so id like atleast a posh nice one for doing doors and the like.

a mate of mine got a axminster one. but ive seen this thread and wondered what peoples thoughts are on the quangsheng and indeed other makes
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Quite some time ago now I needed a new iron for one of my block planes, (the one I used the most).

I went into the nearest thing locally that you could call a tool shop and they wanted £8 just for a new iron, which seemed a bit pricey as it was more than I paid for the plane when it was new.

I took a trip down to Lymington market where an old boy sold second-hand tools and bought a tiny little Record 0102. It cost me a fiver. I loved that little thing so much that I bought another one the same from eBay. I can honestly say that those are my favourite two planes. I guarantee you won't regret buying one, they're so titchy you can just drop one in an apron pocket and forget it's there.

I expect you'll say that you don't like that they're non-adjustable, but my first ever block plane was non-adjustable and quite honestly it's a doddle to adjust them very finely with just a touch of the hammer - it becomes second nature after a short while - if you've ever wondered what that lump at the back end of the sole plate is for, it's what you whack when you want to back the iron out a touch.
Record-No-0102-Block-Plane.jpg
Record-No-0102-Block-Plane.jpg (143.82 KiB) Viewed 15960 times
One day it will all be firewood.
fin

Post by fin »

thats almost same as the one ive got except mine has a wooden knob on the front.

mines a record too the knob has fell off though.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

fin wrote: the knob has fell off though.
You should have seen the doctor earlier...
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Fancy_Dan (Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:22 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
fin

Post by fin »

ordered one ill see how it goes.

mostly use em jus for knockin arris off doors or whatever i guess. looks a bit littler than the one i have
fin

Post by fin »

wine~o wrote:
fin wrote: the knob has fell off though.
You should have seen the doctor earlier...
aye i know :lol: :lol: :lol:
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

fin wrote:thats almost same as the one ive got except mine has a wooden knob on the front.

mines a record too the knob has fell off though.
Your old one will be longer, probably an 0110, (I've got one of those too). I found the difference quite surprising.
One day it will all be firewood.
fin

Post by fin »

aye thats what it is

Return to “Hand tool reviews”