Wera Tool Check with Zyklop Mini Bit Ratchet

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Liam2349

Wera Tool Check with Zyklop Mini Bit Ratchet

Post by Liam2349 »

My review of the Wera Tool Check, including the Zyklop Mini Bit Ratchet. They also do a new set now with a Kraftform handle, which looks nice.

The set contains a 1/4" socket adapter, a single slotted bit, and a nice selection of pozi, phillips, torx, security torx and hex plus bits (details below). It also has the Zyklop Mini Bit Ratchet and a small rapidaptor, and some 1/4" sockets.

You don't really get a sense for the size of the ratchet until you are holding it. I'd seen pictures, but was still surprised when I got it in the post. It's the length of my middle finger, or 87mm. Although it's very small, it's also very strong, and it is a 6 degree ratchet. It has a knurled ring on it to allow you to spin it with your thumb. You can insert bits straight into the ratchet, or you can use the rapidaptor if you want a bit more to hold onto. It also has a small switch on the side of the knurled ring to change the direction of the ratchet, as bits can only be inserted one way.

The bits and socket adapter are safely stored inside the case, which is opened by sliding the Wera badge up. Once opened, you will see two rows of bits, which separate for easy access. The sockets are easily twisted off the bottom of the case, and also have a knurled ring on them, so you can grip them with your fingers and thumb. There is also a belt hook on the back of the case.

When I originally bought this, I intended to use it as a tool kit for my bicycle. It's compact, has almost everything you need, and it's great quality. I was carrying it with my bahco reversible ratchet spanners, which I also love, and it had me covered for all my bike troubles. However, I decided that cycling was too much work, so now it's a part of my regular tool box :cheers:

I don't actually use the bit ratchet that often, I mostly just use this as a stash of bits, which mostly gets used by my main combi drill, and often accidentally by my impact driver :lol: To say I've used some of these bits with an impact driver, they did stand up really well.

I think this is a great kit. It's very compact, and very easy to use, if a little expensive. It costs about £60. That's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it, but I couldn't resist the temptation, and I don't regret buying it.

Tech spec rundown:
Zyklop Mini Bit Ratchet (6 degree ratchet), Small Rapidaptor, 1/4" x 50mm socket adaptor, SL 1.0 x 5.5mm, PH1 x 2, PH2 x 3, PH3, PZ1, PZ2 x 2, PZ3 x 3, H0P3 (Hex Plus), H0P4, H0P5, H0P6, H0P8, T10, T15, T20, T25, T30, T40, ST10, ST15, ST20, ST25, ST30. 1/4" Sockets: 5.5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm.
These users thanked the author Liam2349 for the post (total 2):
ultimatehandymanbig-all
Rating: 14.29%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Wera Tool Check with Zyklop Mini Bit Ratchet

Post by big-all »

thanks for taking the time to share your review :thumbleft:
we are all ------------------still learning
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

It looks great for boiler repairs..... :thumbright:

Thanks mate for the review.
Time-served Plumber/Heating Engineer & general wind-up merchant.
The Plumbers Anthem
If you have found my help or tips useful please donate here. Thank You;
donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html
Gas Safe RGI
Scottish, British & Proud.
I'm not or never claimed to be Chris Williams.
r055c
Banned- Hacked account

Post by r055c »

Big fan of Wera but unfortunately I can't seem to find a reason to buy one of these yet lol

Good review
Icm76

Post by Icm76 »

These look very cool and I've wanted one for ages, but I've managed to miss all the deals that occasionally appear. So in the end I got one of these from Axminster Tools, it's cheap and basic, but it does the basic job of being extremely compact and short for getting into those awkward areas where a screwdriver won't fit.:

nano_bit_ratchet.jpg
nano_bit_ratchet.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 11759 times
[/url]

N.B. when I went researching mini bit ratchets, the Wera one was always the best in any comparison I could find due to having a higher density of teeth, so it will work in very tight spaces where there isn't enough room to rotate the handle on other ratchets.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Glad you like the review.

Ratchets and ratchet spanners are always a case of the return angle. All the cheaper ratchet spanners have quite large return angles, but those Bahco ones I mentioned, which UHM did a review on, have a 5 degree ratchet if I remember right, so they're very good.

This bit ratchet will allow you to get into some very tight spaces. It was really useful when I was putting my current PC together. The screws for some of the fans would only be accessible if I removed some very fiddly and hard to reach wires, to remove one of the panels, but with this ratchet I could get in without removing it. Saved a lot of fuss.

I'm interested in the bigger Zyklop ratchets too. Very pricey, and the heads are quite big, but I really want a kit. Maybe some day, if I can justify it...

Return to “Hand tool reviews”