Wera Hex-Plus Multi-Coloured BlackLaser Hex Key Set

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Liam2349

Wera Hex-Plus Multi-Coloured BlackLaser Hex Key Set

Post by Liam2349 »

Here is my review of the Wera Hex-Plus Multi-Coloured BlackLaser Hex Key Set, officially named "950 SPKL/9 SM N Multicolour L-key set, metric, BlackLaser" on the Wera site.

These come in an all-green sleeved set, or the multi-coloured set pictured. The sleeving is plastic, and provides a solid grip - It's well stuck on, durable, and doesn't slide about. I went for the multi-coloured set as they were slightly cheaper, but the colours can help to distinguish between the different sizes. The holder easily locks and unlocks by sliding the green latch on the side, and the keys hold in their slots very well, but are also removed without much trouble.

Something great about these is that compared to a standard set of hex keys, they are much larger, allowing you to apply a greater torque. The largest 10mm key is almost 24cm in length.

The best thing about these is definitely the ball on the end, allowing you to use the keys at an angle. It works really well, I don't have any difficulty using them at angles. The Hex-Plus profile also allows up to 20% more torque to be applied, according to Wera, and reduces the chance of rounding off the fastener. I think they also help a bit with getting out lightly rounded fasteners, so you can try these before hammering in a torx bit.

I think it's safe to say these are the best hex keys in existence. The hex-plus profile, large size, and brilliant ball on the end makes these effective and very easy to use. They go for around £20.

Highly recommended!

Last edited by Liam2349 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author Liam2349 for the post (total 5):
transitboyultimatehandymanDave54steviejoiner74Dickie
Rating: 35.71%
Liam2349

Re: Wera Hex-Plus Multi-Coloured BlackLaser Hex Key Set

Post by Liam2349 »

Looks like I messed up my images, again. I'll see if I can sort it out.
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Fixed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I have the same set except that mine is the plain green variety - because I couldn't see any advantage in colour coding the sizes (I'd never remember the colours in any case). Good selection of sizes 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 8- 10mm) which will cover everyday use for most people. The holder on mibe has a small magnetic metal piece which is very handy for keeping small grub screws and the like from wandering off. In my tool kit I also have the equivalent Wera Torx key set which has an identical holder and comes with sizes TX8, TX9, TX10, TX15, TX20, TX25, TX27, TX30 and TX40. Sizes TX15 to TX40 come with ball ends on the long "arms" which are extremely handy for getting at hard to reach fasteners. Both were a tad pricey, but have been excellent tools
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

Job and Knock wrote:I have the same set except that mine is the plain green variety - because I couldn't see any advantage in colour coding the sizes (I'd never remember the colours in any case). Good selection of sizes 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 8- 10mm) which will cover everyday use for most people. The holder on mibe has a small magnetic metal piece which is very handy for keeping small grub screws and the like from wandering off. In my tool kit I also have the equivalent Wera Torx key set which has an identical holder and comes with sizes TX8, TX9, TX10, TX15, TX20, TX25, TX27, TX30 and TX40. Sizes TX15 to TX40 come with ball ends on the long "arms" which are extremely handy for getting at hard to reach fasteners. Both were a tad pricey, but have been excellent tools
Haven't noticed any magnet on my set, so that's interesting. I've seen the Torx set and that also looks nice.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

That's an awesome set of Hex Keys and great review :thumbright:
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

Thanks for the review. Nice set of keys.
Only thing I would say is that with them being longer than normal, be a bit careful not to overtighten with the smaller sizes.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Great review,how much is a set?

My mistake,I see you've already said they are 20 quid,good value! :thumbright:
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
koffi
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by koffi »

Hi,

I've got the same set of keys and I'm also very pleased with them, they've managed to get some nearly stripped out hex bolts out, where my others just slipped.

The magnetic holder is more than that: it has a + and a - side, meant to magnetize/demagnetize your L-keys. Very useful and clever! Just lay the wrench on the plus side to magnetize it for difficult to reach screws; then when you're done (I usually dislike magnetized tools), you run it through the minus slot, that also locks in the flappy bit.
Attachments
DSC000792.jpg
DSC000792.jpg (286.15 KiB) Viewed 9898 times

Return to “Hand tool reviews”