Basic Laser level from Forge Steel, 19.99 @ Screwfix Review

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Basic Laser level from Forge Steel, 19.99 @ Screwfix Review

Post by Rex CCTV »

A word or two about the laser level from Forge steel. Great Value for money, making it affordable even for just a few small jobs @19.99 plus a pair of AAA batteries. It can project a laser dot up to 30m and that means two surfaces up to 60m apart.For my purposes it will never be used at that distance but it's quite a distance. I used it over a total maz distance of 12m without difficulty in open daylight. The lines are far more discernible indoors, but outdoors the dot worked perfectly. It can also generate cross lines vertical and horizontal, although for outdoor I found that the dot was the best option to view in outdoor light. Aswell as being great value for money and including the rather light but adjustable tripod, the kit comes in a neat blow-moulded case to protect it.

I can imagine needing this to level or make a drain trench using a datum stick with ever decreasing marks measured at set intervals to give a fall.
Using creative thinking, this may be more useful than I first imagined. Certainly several friends have now borrowed it for those jobs they wanted to do but didn't have the confidence.

My friends and I have have this unwritten rule that if one of us has that tool that we only need occasionally, there is no need to buy one because we can always borrow it.

Where is my mate with the scaffold tower then? :dunno:
steviejoiner74

Re: Basic Laser level from Forge Steel, 19.99 @ Screwfix Rev

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I'll bet you a pound to a penny that's about as accurate as stevie wonder throwing a dart. Forge steel stuff is notoriously bad,I've used one of their spirit levels as a desperation measure when my stabila got nicked,so badly out of level it was laughable.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

moved to Hand tool reviews
by big all :huray:
we are all ------------------still learning
Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Post by Rex CCTV »

steviejoiner74 wrote:I'll bet you a pound to a penny that's about as accurate as stevie wonder throwing a dart. Forge steel stuff is notoriously bad,I've used one of their spirit levels as a desperation measure when my stabila got nicked,so badly out of level it was laughable.
It's as accurate as the job I am using it for requires, but
Thanks for your encouragement Unless I had a water level, or dumpy level, I have no way of checking, but then I wouldn't need a laser level would I? . The result was better than I managed to achieve without the device so any improvement is welcome.
All I can report is that I followed the instructions for setting up fully, and the results were as expected. The bubble level went exactly where it was supposed to, and through 90 deg the spirit level was showing level and throughout it's 360 deg horizontal range. As expected.

Of course when I buy a spirit level, I always check it for accuracy and if necessary make adjustments. Less likely to require adjustment the better the brand but part of a workman's skill is maintaining and proving their tools, ask any cabinetmaker

The market is flooded with laser levels and there are a bundle to choose from. I would say for garden jobs, and jobs that don't require pinpoint accuracy I would recommend this tool but for anything more critical perhaps kitchens or building I'd consider a few extra pounds on equipment, money well spent.

Thanks for your comments
Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Post by Rex CCTV »

steviejoiner74 wrote:I'll bet you a pound to a penny that's about as accurate as stevie wonder throwing a dart. Forge steel stuff is notoriously bad,I've used one of their spirit levels as a desperation measure when my stabila got nicked,so badly out of level it was laughable.
By the wau it's rather unkind to refer in a humorous way to Stevie Wonder's misfortune in being blind. I am sure you could hvae found a better expression without using his blindness to amuse others. Actually I hear that he is rather good at darts.
Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Post by Rex CCTV »

By the way it's rather unkind to use Stevie Wonder's misfortune in being blind to make what you perceive to be a humorous comment.
Blindness is a terrible affliction, which I hope you never have to suffer. I am sure you could have made your point without being so cruel and insensitive.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Has that taken you 2 months to become offended rex??? I'll put it another way then the laser is about as useful as a chocolate firegaurd...
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

*Tsk*... Now lets not start a flame war :violent3: you two.

Rex CCTV, I'm sure Steve Joiners comment about Stevie Wonder was just a "Throw-away remark".... (A bit like that throw away Level you bought...)

:oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Just in case you think I'm being serious Rex..........please see all my other threads)
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
steviejoiner74
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I have to agree with Stevie here. A few years ago I bought a Forge Steel level set out of desparation (again, nicked levels) and it took three journeys to SFX to get a "harlequin" set (i.e. made-up from individual items taken from different packages - glad the SFX manager was so patient) where all the bubbles were more or less the right size (and identical-ish) and where the levels all read the same when turned end to end. Lasers have their uses (I should know, I now have three of them, all self-levelling) but I'm extremely wary of the acciracy of those at the cheaper end
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Liam2349

Post by Liam2349 »

I've never bought anything Forge Steel, but I did examine what I think was their 60cm level. Big box level. They were out on display in Screwfix and I just did a quick test, and they gave different readings each way up...
Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Post by Rex CCTV »

I simply thought Steviejoiner's comment about Stevie Wonder was a cruel and insensitive. :puke:
Why is it such a big deal, I pointed that out to him? I didn't tell him off I wasn't scolding anyone.
I just think that letting such comments pass without challenging them make them acceptable

Whats a time lapse got to do with the price of fishbait?

I am sure the intention was ONLY to be amusing by the irony, but frankly it was not amusing
and certainly not an acceptable way to express the point. Obviously some of you think it is acceptable..?
I am not looking for support here, the last thing I want to do is create opposing gangs :boxing:

There are other analogies. :

Chocolate fireguard indeed... :-) F I R E G U A R D

As for the laser level, it's worth every penny of £19.99 and not a penny more.
but then it's NOT a precision instrument and was never intended to be. I wonder what a 20m spirit level would cost me?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Why is everyone so sensitive these days? Blimey Rex, it is extremely unlikely that Stevie Wonder or any of his nearest and dearest will ever access a thread on a UK DIY website about a Forge Steel Laser level. It is only they who can be offended and I am sure that they really would not care a toss and have no need for you to act on their behalf as the UK branch of 'Things that might upset Stevie'

Lighten up pal

DWD
Razor

Post by Razor »

Stevie Wonder would be fine with that joke in my opinion. :thumbright:

I mean it's not like he's ever gonna see it :lol:

I suspect the issue is more the rubbishing of the level? You've told us its adequate for most things but not as good as one costing ten times as much.

For the more diy oriented on this site that's a very valid review thank you :thumbleft:
These users thanked the author Razor for the post:
Rex CCTV
Rating: 7.14%
I think I'll take two chickens...
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Razor wrote:Stevie Wonder would be fine with that joke in my opinion. :thumbright:

I mean it's not like he's ever gonna see it :lol:
Concur... there is that old saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me..."

* the exception being when you are told.. "Call that a Todger??? My 2 year old nephew has a bigger one than that... :hiding:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

These fellas are having a game of darts and they are blind.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/blind-darts-team

Return to “Hand tool reviews”