Stanley rolling tool station/toolbox

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Stanley rolling tool station/toolbox

Post by Rex CCTV »

I was looking for a rolling toolbox to take my tools around an extensive site that I am on regularly. After long hard looking I decided that most rolling toolboxes had either wheels too small or too flimsy. I finally settled on the Stanley 020800R - FATMAX® 4-in-1 Mobile Work Station. Cost between £60 and £99 typically £99. The first thing I noticed were the wheels were large enough to climb stairs albeit slowly but it can do it easily. The next thing to note the wheels do look rather flimsy but they have held up so far.

The next notable feature is the pull bar, which to me seems very flimsy for the monet, made of light alloy tubes and doesn't feel too strong but so far has held up, only time will tell. At the side are two locking bars that must be released before opening the unit. Once the locking bars are released a catch at the front is lifted and the unit pushed gently (yes gently even when fully loaded) to reveal the storage compartments. The top box is opened by releasing the catches and swinging the lid out backwards. There is nothing to hold the lid except it's own hinges so taking out the inner tray it's important NOT to place it on the upturned lid. I will be making a support to overcome this, it's easily done. All tools are revealed and easily accessed by yourself (and any thieving git that focuses in on your AMAZING toolbox).

Some organizing of the lower compartment is in my opinion required but it will hold an amazing amount of tools.

The middle section is like a huge storage area for screws fasteners parts and what have you. Personally I removed the dividers and use it for tools only.

Close in the tool wagon as I call it, up and securing it is easy. Although it does have any real security other than a locking point for a padlock, that wouldn't stop a thief from taking the LOT, a little thought will show you how to apply a couple of locks and a chain or steel wire secured to something immoveable. .

BY far the worst feature of the tool wagon is getting it into a van, but I have to say that there are two perfectly placed lifting araes at each side so this makes it easier but it has to be said it really heavy fully loaded. I have to leave a space in my Peugeot Partner side door where this huge kit only just fits with mm to spare. It does however stay put without restraint when closed since the wheels are off the ground just enough to stop it rolling around (Clever)

NOt bad value for money, I expect it to last a couple of years only time will tell though.

You can see an animation of the unit here http://is.gd/CKpVoZ "click the view demo button"
129594_K_600px_TIF_JPG.jpg
129594_K_600px_TIF_JPG.jpg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
stanley_B000V29B7K_3-L.jpg
stanley_B000V29B7K_3-L.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 7635 times

If you can get this for less that £99.00 it will be worth it, I paid £60 in a well known DIY chain however I don't think I would have paid more and it is a great but for the DIYer aswell as the professional. I give it 4/5
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Re: Stanley rolling tool station/toolbox

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Looks like a handy piece of kit :thumbright:

Thanks for the review :wink:
Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Post by Rex CCTV »

I hope it helps those that are thinking about this box. I have no real regrets about buying it.
The really REALLY WEAK thing about these is that if someone want to steal all your tools it isn't hard.
My tools are only insured when in the van and it's locked.
It does take some getting used to and I find that I still have to run back to the van from time to time.
The price has gone up to around £100 now even where I bought it
Cannyfixit

Post by Cannyfixit »

Thanks Rex,good review :thumbright:
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
Rex CCTV
Newly registered Member

Post by Rex CCTV »

I've been using the rolling toolbox some months now and I can honestly say the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
The main disadvantages are that I still need to return to the van for materials from time to time but a little planning often lessens the need.
Lifting the thing in and out of the van is a the worst disadvantage for me. I am a 13 stone weakling and it is sometimes a real nuisance and it remains easy to steal, so I'm going to buy a chain and padlock to secure it with.
Look out for it on special offer if you are interested in one of these as I bought mine for 59.99 in B&Q.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

After much dickering (or "deliberation" as the posh folk call it) I've just bought myself a Stanley 1-94-850 Fat Max Promobile Job Chest like this one:
Stanley FatMax Promobile 1.jpg
Stanley FatMax Promobile 1.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
Stanley FatMax Promobile 2.jpg
Stanley FatMax Promobile 2.jpg (185.62 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
to replace my existing Stanley 1-92-083 job chests like this:
Stanley Promobile old.jpg
Stanley Promobile old.jpg (77.69 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
which many tradesmen will be familiar with. The new box seems enormous, but it is watertight, is lockable and the lid will hold both a 22in saw and a 24in/600mm spirit level so it has it's advantages. Full review to follow once I've put it through it's paces on a job
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Rex CCTV
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Hand tool reviews”