Wera Koloss review

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Wera Koloss review

Post by ultimatehandyman »

The Wera Koloss is a ratchet and hammer combined, the ½ inch drive ratchet can be extended using an extension handle which converts the ratchet into a ratchet roughly the same length as a breaker bar although the maximum recommended torque is 600NM.

At almost £100 for the ratchet with the extension handle it is far from cheap and you could buy the world’s best ratchet and the world’s best hammer and still have enough change to buy a bag to put them both in.
Having wondered why someone would make such a tool I asked around and a couple of people had actually used a ratchet as a hammer!

The head is so large that it is virtually useless in confined spaces, because it’s a ratchet and not a real hammer it lacks the weight to drive anything in, making it difficult to use as a hammer. Also because the striking faces are not flat it’s easy to slip off especially as you have to exert a lot of force (because it’s not heavy enough to be a hammer)

Once the extension handle is fitted you have an extra-long ratchet, the only problem is that you need to carry a small spike with you to be able to release the extension handle from the ratchet.

Wera have designed some good tools over the years but this one leaves a lot to be desired, especially as they have not designed an extension handle that cannot be removed without an extra tool (something else to lose).

The ½ drive pushes through from one side to the other enabling the direction to be reversed, which is not a bad thing as the directional lever is often a weak point on some ratchets. There is a centering spike available for the end of the ratchet at extra cost but it looks like it is straight and so in many applications it will be impossible to get the centering spike in because of the length of the ratchet. The spike also seems to have a male spigot on it, meaning that you can’t fix it to the extension handle as that also has a male spigot.

If Wera had taken a little more time designing this so that –
1. You could remove the extension handle without an additional tool
2. The centering spike could be mounted in either the ratchet or the extension handle
3. The centering spike was set at 90 degrees or 45 degrees instead of being straight (this would mean you could use it in many more places)
It might not have been so bad, but as it stands you can buy much better fit for purpose tools for a fraction of the price!
These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post (total 2):
pud1771big-all
Rating: 14.29%
Liam2349

Re: Wera Koloss review

Post by Liam2349 »

I have a bit of an obsession with Wera at the moment and have been snapping up their tools left, right and center. I think the Koloss looks cool but your criticisms seem understandable (I've never used one). I'd be interested to see a review of the Zyklop. That thing looks brill, but expensive again lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Razor

Post by Razor »

A bit off topic but for one I'm pleased to see you telling it how you see it.

Far too many online reviewers that claim everything is wonderful in hopes of getting freebies from the manufacturers :angryfire:

Nice to see a bit of integrity and reviews that you can trust :thumbright:
I think I'll take two chickens...
pud1771

Post by pud1771 »

:cheers: UHM I have looked in to buying one of these as I am one of those ppl who uses his ratchet as a hammer :oops:
after reading your review will give it a miss I think as it don't seam to offer any extra advantages will just buy a new heavy duty ratchet and breaker bar and still have change :thumbright:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Liam2349 wrote:I have a bit of an obsession with Wera at the moment and have been snapping up their tools left, right and center. I think the Koloss looks cool but your criticisms seem understandable (I've never used one). I'd be interested to see a review of the Zyklop. That thing looks brill, but expensive again lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
I looked at the zyklop, but thought the koloss would be more useful as I already have a normal 1/2 inch drive ratchet in my work toolbox.

Might have to get one to see if it is as good as it looks :lol:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Razor wrote:A bit off topic but for one I'm pleased to see you telling it how you see it.

Far too many online reviewers that claim everything is wonderful in hopes of getting freebies from the manufacturers :angryfire:

Nice to see a bit of integrity and reviews that you can trust :thumbright:

Thanks Ray,

I'd never knowingly give a bad tool a good review and vice-versa.

Hopefully people will trust me enough by now to know that I'm not interested in reviewing any old junk, people have sent me things in the past that have never made it to the video stage and have been binned :thumbright:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

pud1771 wrote::cheers: UHM I have looked in to buying one of these as I am one of those ppl who uses his ratchet as a hammer :oops:
after reading your review will give it a miss I think as it don't seam to offer any extra advantages will just buy a new heavy duty ratchet and breaker bar and still have change :thumbright:

I think because you have used your ratchet as a hammer in the past this tool is made for you, how does £90 including postage sound :lol:

Only joking :lol:
BillyGoat
Troll Headbutter

Post by BillyGoat »

My reviews couldn't be purchased, but if they sent a show girl round..... pwharrrrr...... :?
Arguing with a woman is like reading a Software Licence Agreement.
In the end, you ignore everything and click "I agree".
pud1771

Post by pud1771 »

ultimatehandyman wrote:
pud1771 wrote::cheers: UHM I have looked in to buying one of these as I am one of those ppl who uses his ratchet as a hammer :oops:

I think because you have used your ratchet as a hammer in the past this tool is made for you, how does £90 including postage sound :lol:

Only joking :lol:
dont tempt me :LoL: work is dead at the mo so seam to spend to much time on e-bay buying tools i may have to move in to the garage soon if anything else turns up :lol:
pud1771

Post by pud1771 »

BillyGoat wrote:My reviews couldn't be purchased, but if they sent a show girl round..... pwharrrrr...... :?
would we get a review of the tools or the show girl billy :downtown: :tongue3:

Return to “Hand tool reviews”