Wera Joker review

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Wera Joker review

Post by ultimatehandyman »

The Wera Joker is the latest offering from Wera, although Wera are famous for making probably the best screwdriver bits in the business they also make a wide variety of tools that other companies do not currently make.

When I bought my kit the only sizes available were the 10mm, 13mm, 17mm and 19mm

What is so special about the Joker?

Firstly it is a combination ratchet spanner but with a difference, the open end of the Joker has a special stop plate which, if the nut it in the correct orientation can hold the nut captive. This feature is extremely useful as you can place a nut in the jaws, then hold the end of the spanner to position the nut in the most difficult to reach places. Already I have used this feature at work on an awkward piece of machinery and it made my job much easier.

At the opposite end to the open end is a ratchet that operates at 5 degree increments, so it even works in the tightest of spaces-
The ratchet also has a handy directional arrow.

The jaws on the Wera Joker serve a few purposes, firstly the spanner can be used like a normal open ended spanner, but rotate the nut slightly and it will be held in position. If you come across a fastener that has rounded off slightly the stop plate can help to grip and remove the rounded off nut or bolt.

Here the Wera Joker is holding a nut ready for positioning-

This really is an excellent piece of kit and the good news is that a full set is now available in some countries. This certainly is not the cheapest set of spanners around, I paid about £70 for a set of 4 but they are very well made and extremely useful.
These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post (total 3):
big-allpud1771transitboy
Rating: 21.43%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Wera Joker review

Post by big-all »

very clever design the simple ideas are the best :thumbright:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
ultimatehandyman
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
transitboy

Post by transitboy »

They do make good gear mate, you would have thought they good of pick a better name to call them :?
pud1771

Post by pud1771 »

will have to have a look at them often have to try and fiddle around holding a nut on in awkward places. Have you seen the koloss ratchets they do really like the idea of them for heavy work.
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

transitboy wrote:They do make good gear mate, you would have thought they good of pick a better name to call them :?

Yeah, not sure why they chose that name :scratch:
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

pud1771 wrote:will have to have a look at them often have to try and fiddle around holding a nut on in awkward places. Have you seen the koloss ratchets they do really like the idea of them for heavy work.

Yes, I have seen it.

At first I thought it was a stupid idea, having a ratchet and hammer combined in one unit, but after speaking to a few people they said that in the past they have used their ratchet as a hammer :shock: (something I would never do).

It makes perfect sense though if you were installing through bolts regularly, just drill the hole smack it with the ratchet and then tighten the nut :wink:

The extension bar is a good idea too, but they say that the maximum torque is about 600nm which is a bit on the low side for such a sturdy looking ratchet. The centering spike also looks like a good idea, but it would be better if they made a 90 degree centering spike or 45 degree centering spike as you can't get a straight spike in many places.
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

I don't use my ratchets as hammers, just about anything else though :lol: Shiny chromed snapon ones :oops:

That ratchet looks like a good idea, not sure about how much stick the podger would accept though, and you wouldn't want to beat it in a hole :lol:
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
pud1771

Post by pud1771 »

I have used my halfords pro ratchet as a hammer many times normally when I am putting coach bolts on to gate plates. have just got my self a nice set of podgers so will use them more but still would like a koloss just as is shiny and new lol
village idiot
diesel demon

Post by village idiot »

my podger is really a metal marlin spike :oops:
i love being married
it's great to find that one special person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

Return to “Hand tool reviews”