screwdriver bits

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

darrenba

Re: screwdriver bits

Post by darrenba »

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Yes, they are the ones.

I didn't realise Screwfix still sold them :thumbright:
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

Yeah Screwfix stopped selling Wera and changed over to Wiha
I think Toolstation do Wera these days
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I bet it was 10-12 years since I bought my Wiha bits from Screwfix.

I'll pick some up the next time I'm there :thumbright:
Fancy_Dan
Newly registered Member

Post by Fancy_Dan »

I think you mean Wiha Dura Bits:

Much as I love these and Wera's Bitorsion Diamond bits whenever I need the grip, I reckon PB Swiss bits are even better still :thumbleft:

Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Argyll wrote:I bought a pack of the Milwaukee ones a few months back and find them pretty good.
Yes, we'll, I ďestroyed five of them yesterday and a further two this morning (25mm bits) and the 50mm bits have fared no better. I'm going back know to Wera Diamant for the impact driver
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Job and Knock wrote:
Argyll wrote:I bought a pack of the Milwaukee ones a few months back and find them pretty good.
Yes, we'll, I ďestroyed five of them yesterday and a further two this morning (25mm bits) and the 50mm bits have fared no better. I'm going back know to Wera Diamant for the impact driver
I put down an entire new floor of a flat and used the same bit. It didn't slip once. I bought a pack a few years back and still have half of them left.
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

I have to agree with J&K. Bought a pack a few months back. Awful compared to Wera, either head wears too easily or snaps off. Are you using them in an impact driver Argyll?
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

Job and Knock wrote:
is that milwaukee shockwave impact duty packet off 25 that i have just bought from toolstation to make an order up :lol: :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

big-all wrote:
Job and Knock wrote:
is that milwaukee shockwave impact duty packet off 25 that i have just bought from toolstation to make an order up :lol: :lol:
Yes. To be fair I have been using them in the genuine Milwaukee bit holder today (as opposed to the Wera green impact holder or the cheap brass holder I previously tried) and they are holding up better, although they still round-off too much and too quickly forr my liking. Still doesn't explain why the 50mm ones (used directly in the chuck) snap like carrots after as little as 10 minutes use. They are used in a Makita BTD145 impact driver

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Job and Knock wrote:
big-all wrote:
Job and Knock wrote:
Yes. To be fair I have been using them in the genuine Milwaukee bit holder today (as opposed to the Wera green impact holder or the cheap brass holder I previously tried) and they are holding up better, although they still round-off too much and too quickly forr my liking. Still doesn't explain why the 50mm ones (used directly in the chuck) snap like carrots after as little as 10 minutes use. They are used in a Makita BTD145 impact driver
I bought some as a result of a post on here; I can snap them off with my £99.99 Hitachi combi... :shock:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

If you are using quality screws like riesser or spax then the cheapo brands are useless,the screws are tougher than the bits so only one thing will happen.
I've been using dewalt extreme bits lately and they are pretty good.
Like I mentioned earlier,nothing and I mean nothing can get close to hilti bits when I'm putting in drywall screws in the collated gun.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

well i used one today for a no4 x3/4"through a 2mm pilot hole in plastic and it didnt snap :lol: :lol: :lol:
we are all ------------------still learning
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

darrenba wrote:I have to agree with J&K. Bought a pack a few months back. Awful compared to Wera, either head wears too easily or snaps off. Are you using them in an impact driver Argyll?
No a Dewalt 18v drill/driver. I bought mine a couple of years ago from US/Ebay. It looks like the quality has dipped considerably since then.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Argyll wrote:I bought mine a couple of years ago from US/Ebay.......
Oh boy. I drove about 10k 5.0 x 100mm screws in the last 8 days framing out floors, packing and fixing down (my right elbow is telling me that right now), so we maybe have a mismatch in quantity here :wink:

Return to “Hand tool reviews”