Silicone smoothie thingies

Reviews of hand tools in this forum please.

Moderator: Moderators

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

I thought I would say about these thingies.
thingies.jpg
thingies.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 10294 times
They are for use when you silicone a "gap" no idea who makes them, 4 in a packet, each with more than one profile, so simple to use, took all of 30 seconds to do the hand basin. The other thing is if you (as you will) squidge some where you shouldn't you can use the flat edge to remove the surplus, I then used toilet tissue to clean the thingie.

Better than credit card as these flex, (C cards don't flex too well) and better than a wet thumb.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Rorschach

Re: Silicone smoothie thingies

Post by Rorschach »

Fugi is the main maker, but other companies make them. Lidl often sell a set that is very similar to the basic Fugi set and is very good. Had mine about 5-6 years now.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

:withstupid:

Cramer also do a version with a removeable "bars" which means that they can be run across the gap between two tiles yet still leave a smooth joint. More expensive, but very handy, that!
Cramer Fugi Silicone Finger Set 001_01.jpg
Cramer Fugi Silicone Finger Set 001_01.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 10272 times
There' a really useful video about siliconing on YouTube:

A bit controversial in places, but good advice, I'd say and 19 minutes well spent if you.ve ever struggled with siliconing (shows the "bar" in use at about 16:24)
Last edited by Job and Knock on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I would like to get a set with the guides, I think they could be very handy. At the moment when doing tiles I skew the tool slightly so it bridges across the gap, not perfect but gives a better finish than holding it totally perpendicular and getting a deep divot across each joint.
Stealthwolf
Newly registered Member

Post by Stealthwolf »

I'm a DIYer. I bought the Fugi kit. It can work well and gives a smooth clean line. But it can clog up if there's a long line of silicone or you've used too much in the first place. When it clogs, it causes smearing, which isn't pretty. The kit doesn't work well if the corner is a little too acute or obtuse and I have to resort to a wet finger.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Rorschach wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:20 am Fugi is the main maker, but other companies make them. Lidl often sell a set that is very similar to the basic Fugi set and is very good. Had mine about 5-6 years now.
I didn't find the Lidl ones all that good so I bought the Fugi ones.
fin

Post by fin »

ive got a fugi kit. my friends late father told me about em and i went straight out and got a set. need a new set now coz ive lost most them into the depths of hell (the back of my van)

when sealing up where it needs to be smoothed i use a spray bottle with soapy water in it.
wickedwjc
Newly registered Member

Post by wickedwjc »

+1 for Fugi Kit. Can't believe how much of a mess some "professionals" make with silicone.
These users thanked the author wickedwjc for the post:
zedhead (Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:05 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Stealthwolf wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:07 amI bought the Fugi kit. It can work well and gives a smooth clean line. But it can clog up if there's a long line of silicone or you've used too much in the first place.
That's where judgement comes in, I'm afraid......
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Hand tool reviews”