is it Ok to leave heaters off all year round?

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Sounds like you are doing things about as efficiently as you can then :)
Modestas
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Modestas »

thank you for the comments. I dont wanna tart a new thread, so I thought I would ask one more question related to the central heating. is it a good idea to turn the boiler off when leaving the house and turn it on when coming back home? I mean to keep it on only while being at home, cause I do not see a point of heating the house while Im away for 9 hours.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

This depends on how you feel about the way I do it. As I said, it takes a good few weeks of heat to get the fabric of the house warmed, and cavity wall and roof insulation is just as important as is double glazing for heating retention. Using this method, you can drop the thermostat down a few clicks during your periods of absence and notch it up when you return for comfort. This ensures that the warmth will be retained and the boiler only works a little to top up the heat.

If you turn off for long periods the temperature drops quickly and it takes a lot to lift it back up and my view is that you use more fuel this way. I heat a four bedroomed detached house for £66 a month using this method. Our house is always warm.

Your choice fella,

DWD
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

You definitely don't use more fuel if you only heat when you need it, when you think about it that is totally nonsensical as your house is constantly losing heat so if you keep it warmer you are using more fuel, of course how much more fuel to waste depends on your insulation level, a poorly insulated house will waste a lot of fuel, a very well insulated house will waste very little fuel, but leaving heating on all the time will waste fuel if you are not home to enjoy it. So if you want to save money you only heat as you need it, BUT your comfort level is definitely reduced as it takes longer to get warm and doesn't stay warm for long after you turn it off.

You takes your choice really between comfort and cost.
Modestas
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Modestas »

also, I don't really understand. if humidy causes problems in regular rooms, whats about the bathroom? it is always humid there, does it mean heater needs to be on all year round in the bathroom?
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Bathrooms generally only contain waterproof items that don't absorb moisture from the air but they still have problems associated with excess moisture that's why ideally you would have an extractor fan in there as well as heat in the colder months. We don't have a fan but use the radiator and a dehumidifier to remove moisture from showering.

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”