12v Lighting options.

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

12v Lighting options.

Post by Rorschach »

I am in the process of buying a garage. No power to it but it's only going to be used for storage. I would however like some lights in there so I don't have to use torches and can close the door and organise things without being overlooked.

I thought the easiest solution would be a 12v lighting system as I can run it from an old car battery. I have used 12v floodlights in the past but not sure how well these would work in a ceiling application, so any suggestions? Price is a factor, need them to be as cheap as possible given the circumstances.
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

12v Lighting options.

Post by moderator2 »

Moved to lighting
Someone-Else

12v Lighting options.

Post by Someone-Else »

Floodlights are directional, and you would cast shadows in your own light, why not go for LED strip? It gives an even spread of light and is 12v.

You would be better off with two strips one each 1/3 the way across the ceiling.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Rorschach

12v Lighting options.

Post by Rorschach »

Yes I already said I don't think floodlights would work well.

Is LED strip bright enough? The stuff I have seen always seems only suitable for accent lighting as opposed to useful working light.
Someone-Else

12v Lighting options.

Post by Someone-Else »

Rorschach wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:51 pm as opposed to useful working light.
But you said
Rorschach wrote: I don't have to use torches and can close the door and organise things
No mention of working.

Simple answer, use more than 2 strips, no, I am not joking, go for cool white, not warm white.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Rorschach

12v Lighting options.

Post by Rorschach »

Ok by working I meant the tidying, organising of things inside.
Someone-Else

12v Lighting options.

Post by Someone-Else »

Really depends on how bright you want it. Install 3 strips and put it on 2 switches.
One switch for just centre strip
Other switch for outer strips

That way you can have one, two, or 3 strips lit.

Cannyfixit

12v Lighting options.

Post by Cannyfixit »

How long will you be in the garage,have a look at rechargeable site lights
https://unilite.co.uk/product-category/trade/
If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719
ericmark

12v Lighting options.

Post by ericmark »

I use a jump starter/compressor battery pack with a 20 AH battery inherited from father-in-law to light shed and garage, use lights on a cig lighter plug which I plug in when required, and easy to carry the battery pack back to house for recharging. I use a 2 foot fluorescent tube came out of a bus, rather old late 70's but still works well.

So if re-doing it, lead acid around 20 AH VRLA so can't spill, is likely best compromise lasting reasonable time and not too heavy to carry, using a jump start kit you can get smaller lighter batteries to do the same job, but tend not to have as big of an amp hour rating, and far more expensive, wife's electric bike battery has much more power, but at £300 for battery think I would stick to valve regulated lead acid.

For the lights visit a caravan or narrow boat shop, loads of battery 12 volt lights, with voltage range 10 - 30 volt the 12 volt house hold lights no good as a 12 volt battery starts at around 13 volt and drops to around 11.5 volt so the lights need to work on a range of voltage not spot on 12 volt, and most house 12 volt are rated 50 Hz and a battery is not AC.

Can get a jump starting box so easy to carry and comes with charger, if you just want battery mobility shop is where you will find them, used in mobility scooters. Best small cheap battery charger Aldi or Lidi they do a cheap version of the Ctec which is designed to be connected and left, not need to remember to take off charge after 12 hours.
Someone-Else

12v Lighting options.

Post by Someone-Else »

But he did say
Rorschach wrote:Price is a factor, need them to be as cheap as possible given the circumstances.

Rorschach

12v Lighting options.

Post by Rorschach »

Cannyfixit wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:24 am How long will you be in the garage,have a look at rechargeable site lights
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://unilite.co.uk/product-category/trade</span>/
I've got a good one of those, made it myself actually. I was hoping for something that I can put on the ceiling to light up the entire garage so I can just walk in, switch on and get on with what I need to do. Don't really want to be moving lights around etc.
Someone-Else

12v Lighting options.

Post by Someone-Else »

Rorschach wrote:I've got a good one of those, made it myself actually. I was hoping for something that I can put on the ceiling to light up the entire garage so I can just walk in, switch on and get on with what I need to do. Don't really want to be moving lights around etc.
Which is why I suggested LED tape, its cheap, will run on a battery, easily ceiling mounted, and its still cheap.

If it helps, I have some in my shed...........solar powered. (I did a test on a solar panel and i ended up with LED strip)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Rorschach (Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 am)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Lighting”