Fitting a new security light

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Jetheat
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jetheat »

I have a wall with wires coming out of it which looks like the image here:

These wires are connected to a switch on the other side.

There are 2 brown wires, 2 blue wires, and one earth wire.

I want to connect a security light to these wires.

What kind of security light would I need to buy in order for it to be compatible with these wires?
I know from the previous installation that the 2 brown wires terminated in one plastic block left to do nothing.
So does that affect the kind of light I buy or should I connect the brown wires somewhere in the new light?

Appreciate the help,

JH
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

It is up to whoever wired it what colour does what, so there is no definitive answer, however, could you clarify..........

1) Are you saying the previous light was only connected to the two blue wires?

2) Was the previous light "just a light" with an on / off switch say in the house?

3) Just saying, there are actually TWO earth wires in the same sleeving, but we will not worry about those at this time
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Jetheat
Newly registered Member

Post by Jetheat »

someone-else wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:28 am It is up to whoever wired it what colour does what, so there is no definitive answer, however, could you clarify..........

1) Are you saying the previous light was only connected to the two blue wires?

2) Was the previous light "just a light" with an on / off switch say in the house?

3) Just saying, there are actually TWO earth wires in the same sleeving, but we will not worry about those at this time
Yes, the previous light was only connected with the 2 blue wires and the earth wire. The brown wires were both inserted inside a plastic termination piece.

The previous light was also a PIR security light, but I still had the ability to switch the whole thing off with a switch on the other side of the wall.

Since it was wired in this way (with the 2 brown wires just terminating in a plastic box), do I HAVE TO do the same for any new light I buy?
If so, is there a particular connection type I should be looking for on the new light?

JH
Jetheat
Newly registered Member

Post by Jetheat »

Here is a diagram of a light I was thinking of buying. Would this be suitable for my wires?

JH
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Jetheat wrote:(with the 2 brown wires just terminating in a plastic box), do I HAVE TO do the same for any new light I buy?
Yes, if you want it to work the same way the previous light did.
Jetheat wrote:If so, is there a particular connection type I should be looking for on the new light?
You will not know what you will be getting until you have paid for the light and have it in your hands. Most manufacturers will save money where they can and one way is to use the smallest cheapest connectors they can. Which you the try and replace with better quality ones, and find out there is no space for the new connectors and all the cables, enter the weatherproof junction box.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Jetheat
Newly registered Member

Post by Jetheat »

Thanks, given my wires (2 blue, 2 brown and earth), will it connect with the light in the diagram above?

JH
Jetheat
Newly registered Member

Post by Jetheat »

There is another light on Amazon which has this connection:

Do you think I can connect my wires into that somehow?

JH
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

You connect it the same way the one you had was connected.
As for if you can do it in the one you have shown a picture of, who knows? (The picture is too small, the picture does not show how much room between the connector block and the edge, you / we will never know unless you try

Jetheat
Newly registered Member

Post by Jetheat »

someone-else wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 pm You connect it the same way the one you had was connected.
As for if you can do it in the one you have shown a picture of, who knows? (The picture is too small, the picture does not show how much room between the connector block and the edge, you / we will never know unless you try
I get that part because I understand I need to fit the plastic termination block in there for the brown wires. But what about the 2 blue wires I have. Will that suit the connection that's on this light?

Coz I have 2 blue wires and it looks like just one connection for blue wires on the white plastic in this light.

JH
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

One of the blue wires is the switched live, the other blue is the neutral. It's always going to be tight when there are two twin and earths at the fitting.

You should manage in the first fitting as that has quite a bit of space in it (
I have fitted them)
Jetheat
Newly registered Member

Post by Jetheat »

Can I put any blue into the Live connection or is it a specific one?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Try it and see.

OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Jetheat wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:10 pm Can I put any blue into the Live connection or is it a specific one?
It should be the switched live that goes into the live connection on the light fitting (although it will almost certainly work either way). You do need some test gear to find out which is the switched live and which one is the neutral. The switched live should have had brown sleeving on it to show that it is a live and not the neutral and should have been put there by the person that installed the first light and that is not your fault. To do the job correctly you would need simple test equipment such as a cheap multi meter.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

OnlyMe wrote: To do the job correctly you would need simple test equipment such as a cheap multi meter.
What OnlyMe says is true, but this is a DIY forum, people believe that there is a "way" of knowing what wire does what if they post a picture of said wires, they don't need a multimeter thingy since if they ask they will get the answer they want.

It's not really that simple, and just because "it works" does not mean it is safe, I advocate that before anyone considers any electrical work they buy and learn how to use a multimeter, do they "listen"?

Return to “Lighting”