Some input needed plz

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Some input needed plz

Post by CELTICPSYCHO » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi guys.
So, what you see in the attached pic, is a profile bender. Yes, it is self made. Works 100%. Arches up to 38mm square tubing of 1.6 thick. Very durable and sturdy.
My next step, is to ad a motor, with reverse action.

Now, i have a motor 230v AC, with reverse, that i harvested from a treadmill. It set the incline of the track up or down.
It has a slow speed. Slow enough for what i need to do with it. My question is, "WHAT AND HOW DO I CONNECT TO THE MOTOR TO CONTROL THE DIRECTION OF MOTION, THAT I CAN FIND IN ANY STORE?
Sure, there are many good options, but pricey. Im looking for ideas to make my own control panel. What are the key items i may need?

Please, no toddler aged remarksImageImage

Sent from my vivo Y27 using Tapatalk
User avatar
kellys_eye
Senior Member
Posts: 10338
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 1559 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by kellys_eye » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 pm

What connections does the motor have? Two wire or more?
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by CELTICPSYCHO » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:33 am

3, im sure. Needs the 12mfu cap though. It can go both ways, but without a controller, its useless
kellys_eye wrote:What connections does the motor have? Two wire or more?
Sent from my vivo Y27 using Tapatalk
User avatar
kellys_eye
Senior Member
Posts: 10338
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Oban
Has thanked: 290 times
Been thanked: 1559 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by kellys_eye » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am

A simple motor reversing switch is all that's required then.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-380V-Au ... Swi8VZWzZZ

you can also purchase this type of thing ready-mounted in a box with the appropriate glands and knob (see RS Components and/or Farnell etc for examples) or chose your own version of box/mounting etc.
sent from my laptop using my fingers - because we REALLY need to know where it's come from.....
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by CELTICPSYCHO » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks. Will keep an eye out
kellys_eye wrote:A simple motor reversing switch is all that's required then.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-380V-Au ... Swi8VZWzZZ

you can also purchase this type of thing ready-mounted in a box with the appropriate glands and knob (see RS Components and/or Farnell etc for examples) or chose your own version of box/mounting etc.
Sent from my vivo Y27 using Tapatalk
User avatar
big-all
Pro Carpenter
Posts: 21177
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
Has thanked: 636 times
Been thanked: 1894 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by big-all » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:00 pm

a motors is no good without a transmission to convert the say 2000rpm to usable power
in other words hydralic or gearing to convert speed to power
we are all ------------------still learning
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by CELTICPSYCHO » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:35 pm

I was thinking of using a bigger pulley/sprocket than what is on the motor, to slow the ratio down
big-all wrote:a motors is no good without a transmission to convert the say 2000rpm to usable power
in other words hydralic or gearing to convert speed to power
Sent from my vivo Y27 using Tapatalk
CELTICPSYCHO
Newly registered Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by CELTICPSYCHO » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:36 pm

It does not need much power conversion. That force gets controlled by the press im using.
big-all wrote:a motors is no good without a transmission to convert the say 2000rpm to usable power
in other words hydralic or gearing to convert speed to power
Sent from my vivo Y27 using Tapatalk
User avatar
big-all
Pro Carpenter
Posts: 21177
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
Has thanked: 636 times
Been thanked: 1894 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by big-all » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:18 pm

i suspect you will need a reduction off many tens perhaps 50-1 ratio
or is this just to move it along the rack rather than replace the jack :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning
User avatar
Dave54
Senior Member
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 930 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by Dave54 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:38 pm

The only thing is that you say this is a motor for adjusting the incline? What's the power rating?
I'd have thought that such a motor was probably only fractional HP.
Looking online, it appears that similarly sized commercial roller benders use a 1.5 HP motor as the drive motor.
Obviously that would be considerably geared down. Apart from increasing the torque it has to be fairly slow to be controllable.
User avatar
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie
Posts: 6356
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:27 pm
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 1475 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by Job and Knock » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Dave54 wrote:Obviously that would be considerably geared down. Apart from increasing the torque it has to be fairly slow to be controllable.
The other thing about commercial motors used in low speed applications is that they often have 4-poles, giving an output shaft speed of 1500rpm. These slow speed motors generate more torque than equivalent 2-pole motors and because they are designed to operate at such low speeds they generally are much longer lived than the 2-pole equivalent motors
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda
User avatar
Dave54
Senior Member
Posts: 4018
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 930 times

Re: Some input needed plz

Post by Dave54 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Job and Knock wrote:
Dave54 wrote:Obviously that would be considerably geared down. Apart from increasing the torque it has to be fairly slow to be controllable.
The other thing about commercial motors used in low speed applications is that they often have 4-poles, giving an output shaft speed of 1500rpm. These slow speed motors generate more torque than equivalent 2-pole motors and because they are designed to operate at such low speeds they generally are much longer lived than the 2-pole equivalent motors
You're right of course J & K, and that's the type of motor I'd choose, assuming there's no 3ph available. Even so I wonder if you'd run into problems with the number of reversing start / stops needed. You'd probably need DC injection braking as well. You'd want to avoid "plugging" or braking by reverse running.
I don't know much about treadmills, but I'd assume that the incline adjustment motor is probably a very small DC motor. Looking online it looks as if they are.
Post Reply

Return to “Electric Forum UK”