Installing Stove dual fuel cooker

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Shazdog
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Installing Stove dual fuel cooker

Post by Shazdog »

Hi

I have just purchased a new dual fuel cooker and want to attach it to the CCU I had installed over ten years ago. This is connected to a separate 30amp ring main to the the consumer unit. I assume that I need to use 30amp cable. But do I neeed to have a specially rated socket behind where the cooker is going to go or will a normal 13 amp socket do? The square metal casing is already in situ

In terms of wiring I can see where the live and neutral wire connect inside the CCU. Will the earth go in the adjacent hole to where the earth sits at the moment . Please see attached pics. A bit blurred but discernible.

Thanks for your help.

[/img]
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Do you have the instructions for the cooker?

It should tell you how many KW the cooker is rated at, we need this information really!

When you say that the CCU is connected to a ring main back to the consumer unit do you mean that the CCU is on it's own dedicated circuit back to the consumer unit ( radial circuit)? if so what was connected to this before and what is the thickness of the cable. What size fuse is protecting the circuit?

If the electrical side of the cooker is less than 3kw then it can be plugged into a socket, if it is more than 3kw then it cannot be plugged into a socket and will require it's own circuit, and will normally be wired into one of these- http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 6&ts=52834
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

shazdog has sent me the pics by e-mail that I will attach and also this information-

The cooker will be wired to a radial circuit dedicated for a cooker. The circuit is protected by 30amp wylex trip fuse. The cable is up to 52 amp. The Richmond 1000DF seems to have a fuse rating of 32 amp. There are two oven and grills with the following ratings

Oven and grill 1: 1.3 and 2.5 Kw

Oven and grill 2: 2.3 and 1.7 Kw

I got these specs from

http://www.stoves.co.uk/Specifications_p31.aspx

as the cooker is due to arrive tomorrow!

Thanks again for your help.

Simon (Shazdog)
Attachments
cooker-electrics2.jpg
cooker-electrics2.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 8408 times
cooker-electrics1.jpg
cooker-electrics1.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 8408 times
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

Yes you would connect the earth core into the spare terminal next to it , Live and neuttral you know about as you said. Your fuse is a 30A fuse so even though it says 32A on the stoves website it will in practice be fine. Connect the cooker up with 6mm twin and earth ,

Hope this answers your questions

Nick
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL
Shazdog
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

stoves cooker installation

Post by Shazdog »

Thanks very much

Return to “Electric Forum UK”