Part P and help please

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

pammyb
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Part P and help please

Post by pammyb »

I have been looking at a bungalow which has been 'done' up as a result I have a couple of questions re the electrical bits and pieces.
1 Can you have a open electrical socket under a sink?
2 Where the dishwasher should go (next to the sink) there is two thick grey wires to the socket hanging loosley.
3 The fuse board and distrubtion box for the tv are scewed onto chipboard in the attached garage.

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks
Pam
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Re: Part P and help please

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

pammyb wrote: 1 Can you have a open electrical socket under a sink?
As far as I'm aware, yes. As long as it's not got water running down around it, it shouldn't be an issue.
pammyb wrote:2 Where the dishwasher should go (next to the sink) there is two thick grey wires to the socket hanging loosley.
They'd be better clipped to the wall but again they are surface and protected (as such, by the sink unit and the dishwasher) again not really an issue. You could always lay surface trunking in and feed the cable if you are concerned.
pammyb wrote:3 The fuse board and distrubtion box for the tv are scewed onto chipboard in the attached garage.
Is this just for the TV or is it the supply for the house? Chipboards fine, would be better if it was boxed in but just to be tidy.
Jaeger.
Senior Member doesn't mean I'm OLD!
pammyb
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by pammyb »

hi and many thanks to everyone
the 'fuse' box is for the whole bunaglow and is in the attached garage screwed onto some board. What about fire risks?
I just think it is strange to have an open socket underneath the sink I think it would be for the dishwasher to be plugged in.

Am I being too cautious and woundering if they have done up this bunaglow on the 'cheap' taking shortcuts,
Is their anything else I need to look for?
Many thanks
Pam
xx :grin:
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

I think you're just looking closely.

Consider the cost of adding a fused spur for under the sink and boxing in the Distribution Unit in the garage, making a water tight and clean finish, then discount that from the asking price?
Jaeger.
Senior Member doesn't mean I'm OLD!

Return to “Electric Forum UK”