Main Fuse box

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

steve diggins
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Main Fuse box

Post by steve diggins »

A bit of a daft question really, but can you please advise me when i turn th electricity off at the mains is the wiring that feeds into the fuses are dead and can be safely touched, the reason i ask is that i have noticed a wire thats possibly dangerously loose and need to re insert it ???
tim'll fix it
BANNED

Post by tim'll fix it »

well it depends which wire. If it is the meter tails into the board then these are turned off by an external double pole isolator (if you have one fitted) if it is a wire on the fused/circuit breaker side turn the main switch off on the board and it should turn it off. You can buy electrical testing screwdrivers from B&Q to determine safely is something is still live
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

Can you post a picture of what wire you are saying is loose and needs re-inserting? then we can advise you better, if it is a circuit feeding from the fuseboard, then it will be isolated by turning the fuse box off, but as said before if its the meter tails, large round cables either red and black or grey , then they are NOT isolated by the fuseboards main switch and you should seek the advice of a qualified electrician .

Nick
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL
markysparky
Electrician
Been thanked: 0

Post by markysparky »

Just turn the big switch off and remove all fuses or turn of the MCB's and you'll be allright.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”