wiring a workshop via the shed

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

chris max
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

wiring a workshop via the shed

Post by chris max »

i have rescently erected a work shop at the bottom of my garden, and i also have a shed next to my house which as electric, via a 2.5 twin & earth cable which comes from the consumer unit via a 16 amp fuse and powers a chest freezer and a tumble drier ?. should this shed that as electric have a consumer unit. and can i run 2.5 amoured cable down to my workshop off the same power supply, or do i need another consumer unit for my workshop.
hoping someone can help. please :roll: :!:
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

We need more information here, How far is your workshop from your shed, is the existing supply to your shed protected by an RCD. Perhaps a photo of existing set up might help us out.

Nick
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL
chris max
Newly registered Member

Post by chris max »

sparkydude wrote:We need more information here, How far is your workshop from your shed, is the existing supply to your shed protected by an RCD. Perhaps a photo of existing set up might help us out.

Nick
the work shop is about 25/30 metre's from the shed. and the the only protection is a 16 amp rcd on the main consumer unit in the house.the 2.5 twin & earth ends with a double socket in the shed :roll:
Hinton Heating
Gas/Heating Expert

Post by Hinton Heating »

What are you planning to run in the workshop?
chris max
Newly registered Member

Post by chris max »

i am putting a pedestal drill a grinder and various power tools
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

You can run a cable from your shed to your workshop, but in my oppinion you would be better off replacing the supply to your shed with a bigger feed, and then put a mini consumer unit inside the shed to then run down to your workshop in armoured cable. You say the only protection is the 16A rcd in the boeard, is it an RCD or are you confusing it with an MCB, Does it have a test button on it and says 16A 30Ma on the front? Unfortnateley now due to PArt P of the building regulations it is now ILLEGAL to carry out your own electrical work in the garden,kitchen or bathroom, without having it reported to the council who will either inspect it for you at a price, or you can have it done for you bya part p Registered electrician who will register the job for you with the council.

Hope this helps

Nick
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL

Return to “Electric Forum UK”