Running cables/pipes in 'honeycomb' plasterboard walls

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

dukes4monny
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Running cables/pipes in 'honeycomb' plasterboard walls

Post by dukes4monny »

Hi all, my first post here.
I am just starting a total rework of the bathroom in the house I've just moved into. I will be moving a light switch and running some pipework for a new walk in power shower.
I have just started by cutting the hole in what I thought was a studwork wall for the new light switch only to find it has no studs and the cavity is filled with what can be best described as a cardboard lattice.........
Rather than diving in an making what should be an easy job difficult I thought I would ask the advice of the experts...........
Is there a trick for running new cables/pipes in this type of wall?
Should I cut a channel as in a block/brick wall or is it possible to use a 'ram' of some sort to create an internal channel?
Any advice is gratefully accepted.....

Dave
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I'll move it to the sparks forum Dave, they might know what is best :wink:
honeymonster

Post by honeymonster »

I don't know of an easy way, sometimes you come accross things like this, which make the job much harder.

Looks like you are going to have to cut out some channels, look on the bright side. It is much easier than a concrete wall :wink:

Good luck with it
markysparky
Electrician

Post by markysparky »

These walls are easier than the normal studwork as there are no cross bridging pieces in them. Just use a piece of conduit and from the top pierce your way through the card board.

Carefull when drilling though. These walls are very thin and you could easily drill through the other side. :-)
dukes4monny
Newly registered Member

Post by dukes4monny »

Thanks for the replies. Turns out that it's quite easy to do. After making sure that there were no cables/pipes in the way I simply used a jigsaw and cut myself a nice clean channel, I even saved the piece that I cut out and will probably be able to use it to make good after I'm finished......

I didn't have enough room in the loft above for pushing conduit through, but the thought had crossed my mind, it's nice to know that it is feasible as I have other jobs to do which might well suit this method.......

Thanks again for your help...........I've got quite a few other DIY jobs to do so I might well be dropping by for a few more pointers, this looks like a very useful forum.

Dave

Return to “Electric Forum UK”