What is considered a safe voltage?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

honeymonster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What is considered a safe voltage?

Post by honeymonster »

I know that the government has introduced part p to allegedly make home electrics safer, but in my opinion it is just a way of taxing people.

Why do we use 220-240V for our electricity supply?

Is there not a safer voltage that could be used, like the 110v that the Americans use?

Could a lower voltage not be used?

:?:
sparkydude

Post by sparkydude »

Well in theory yes we could run on a lower voltage, However the trouble is the lower the voltage then the higher the current, so that means that the cables would have to be a lot bigger for the same job, This would not only mean the hopusehold wiring, but flexible cords on appliances.And extra costs in transformers and distribution equipment.

Nick
Last edited by sparkydude on Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it isnt broke dont bloody touch it until it bloody well is and if it is broke then make drawing of the connections before you remove the broken one and replace with a new one LoL
Stoday
Deceased 21-10-2011 R.I.P

Post by Stoday »

The Yank distribution cos don't use thicker cables. They use more transformers so the distances of LV distribution are much lower. That means most of their distribution is at MV, unlike ours which is at LV.

But you still need thicker cables in the house. And the voltage above earth is twice our SELV 110V because each of the two wires of our SELV is at 55V to earth, whereas the yank has to be 110 V to earth so they can get three phase.
Stella
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stella »

I once read about a guy that was using a wind turbine and was using 12 volts for the lighting in his home.

The wire that he used looked like meter tails, it was very thick!

Return to “Electric Forum UK”